Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > 2005 vs 2010 Simple Entry  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dan Kenton
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan KentonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 47

Posted 5/9/2010 3:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
From the perspective of entering music from the computer keyboard, is it worth it to upgrade to 2010 from 2005?  I currently use only the very basic functions of the solftware: entering music, transposing, chord symbols, etc.  

Thanks!

Finale 2005 Win98SE

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 5/9/2010 5:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
IMHO, upgrading from 2005 to 2010 is worth every penny, simply for the new selection tool. But if your needs are really that basic, why not consider PrintMusic, or even SongWriter? Download the demos, and try them out.

(However, a quick look at ALL the 2010 products show system requirements of XP/Vista/Windows 7. I don't know if you can run them in 98SE.)

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

dfwmd
Registered Member

Click to send dfwmd email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dfwmdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 536

Posted 5/9/2010 6:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think 2010 might not be 98 friendly - as it is it runs flawlessly on my Vista installation and has intermittent crashes on my XP.

XP Pro SP 3
Dual Core 1.66 GHz
2GB RAM

Vista Home Premium SP 2 x64
Dual Core 2.50 GHz
6GB RAM

Finale 2010b
Garritan Personal Orchestra Kontakt 2
Garritan Jazz & Big Band Kontakt 2

johnmouse
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to johnmouseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 849

Posted 5/9/2010 7:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As Mike said, it is worth it. Buy a new computer; you won't be able to use Finale with Win98.

John

Finale 2009c/2010a
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Desktop: Windows XP, SP2/P4 2.8 GHz/1 Gig RAM
Laptop: Windows 7/i3 Core/4 Gig RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/9/2010 11:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For the simpler projects, 2005 is just fine. Even for the complex ones.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Dan Kenton
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan KentonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 5/10/2010 12:05 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My apologies...I am actually using Win XP SP2, not 98SE. Obviously it's been some time since I've updated my profile. Anyway, the new selection tool sounds interesting but is the new version easier on the brain? Version 2005 is not very intuitive at all IMHO and I have been waiting for a more user-friendly interface as opposed to the numerous icons and submenus that are found in 2005.

Finale 2005 WinXP SP2

dfwmd
Registered Member

Click to send dfwmd email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dfwmdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 536

Posted 5/10/2010 12:10 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love 2010 and would never go back to 2005. There are a lot of added and improved functionalities and sound font additions that I love. But that's for me.

Sounds like that for you, you will be happiest staying with 2005. The buttons and menus are basically the same. There is some restructuring as to how they appear in the menus, but it is essentially the same interface.

XP Pro SP 3
Dual Core 1.66 GHz
2GB RAM

Vista Home Premium SP 2 x64
Dual Core 2.50 GHz
6GB RAM

Finale 2010b
Garritan Personal Orchestra Kontakt 2
Garritan Jazz & Big Band Kontakt 2

johnmouse
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to johnmouseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 849

Posted 5/10/2010 8:12 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could just download the demo, use it, then decide if it's what you want. Would you buy a car on a stranger's recommendation without test driving it?

John

Finale 2009c/2010a
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Desktop: Windows XP, SP2/P4 2.8 GHz/1 Gig RAM
Laptop: Windows 7/i3 Core/4 Gig RAM

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 5/10/2010 11:03 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Operations that required several steps in 2005, now can be done in one or two mouse clicks in 2010. However, you will have some relearning to do. Be patient and follow all the tutorials and quick start videos even if you are already a whiz at earlier versions. It is worth the effort.

--And, I have never had a crash of any Finale version on Windows XP/SP 2.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2010b with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0,
Jazz & Big Band, and Concert & Marching Band
TGTools Pro
Win XP/Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM
Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums http://www.composeforums.com/forum/Default.asp
Where composers come together to discuss music. Check it out.

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 5/10/2010 11:14 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I recently got a new computer and made the decision to only install Finale versions 2008, 2009 & 2010. I see no reason to even bother with 2005 any longer. But it will take some re-learning to get used to the changes in 2010 that have been made to fully take advantage of the improvements.

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram
Macbook Pro 10.6.3, 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB

Dan Kenton
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 5/10/2010 11:34 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks all...some things to think about for sure.   I am downloading the demo now.

Finale 2005 WinXP SP2