Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > I need the missing step to write an arpeggiated chord with tied notes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Djard
Registered Member

Click to send Djard email.Click to visit Djard's website.Send a Private Message to DjardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 518

Posted 2/7/2011 2:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not too long ago Peter Thomsen kindly mailed me a working file for a tied arpeggiated chord (see the attached .mus file), which prints up nicely with all the notes and ties. I tried to reconstruct the steps from the info he sent. The following is as far as I got.

1. Edit -> Program Options -> Edit.
2. Uncheck "Automatic Update Layout" -> uncheck "Automatic Music Spacing" -> Apply -> OK.
3. Select layer -> write the notes without the ties.
4. Speedy Entry Tool -> hold down "Ctrl" key and click in another measure that contains notation (do NOT click in the measure you are editing).
NOTE: In the "Edit Frame," you can toggle playback on/off for the individual entries (notes, rests, etc.). The note will play if the checkbox is selected. Use the "Playback" check box in the upper frame as it affects all the notes in the entry.

5. Select layer -> click in measure -> ???

Below is the structure in the attached file: 

Layer 1: entries will play back.
Layer 2: entries only for layout & will not play back.
Layer 3: vacant
Layer 4: entries used for playback and are hidden. 

I can't get the 1/32nd arpeggio notes to tie to the following tied chord (A major). I can only tie the notes in the preceding arpeggio to each other and not to the following chord. If someone can figure out from the attached file what steps I am missing to write this complex notation, I'd be thrilled to learn.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Arpeggiated Chord_2.jpg
  76KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 1122 time(s).

File Attachment :
Arp.Chord.mus   44KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 278 time(s).

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Click to send warrenbarnett email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to warrenbarnettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 1441

Posted 2/7/2011 6:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Didn't like the way that I did it in the other thread? I would have assumed it to be the only correct way. ;-)

Also it played back perfectly.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Finale 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 
Garritan Personal Orchestra 2 
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.01
Garritan Jazz & Big Band
Garritan Jazz & Big Band 2
Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3
Garritan Concert & Marching Band
Garritan Concert & Marching Band 2 
Garritan World Instruments
Garritan Steinway Piano Basic Edition
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.52

Djard
Registered Member

Click to send Djard email.Click to visit Djard's website.Send a Private Message to DjardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 2/8/2011 8:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi Warren,

No, I loved it. But I thought Peter did it. I apologize for not giving you the credit for this clever piece of work.

I'd like to know how you managed to tie the notes in the arpeggiated part to the chord. Would you mind looking at the steps I tried to reconstruct...share what else I need to do to replicate what you did?

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Click to send warrenbarnett email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to warrenbarnettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/8/2011 9:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I assume that we are speaking of this file. The red notes were entered in layer 2 and the black notes were entered in layer 1. What part are you having trouble with?

I didn't do anything fancy, my automatic spacing is at the default, (in other words, I have never changed it). I used Speedy Entry. Start with layer 2 and just enter the notes and rests as written, then switch to layer 1 and enter the notes and rests. You can enter the notes first and then go back and enter the ties, or you can do it all at once. In Speedy Entry use the "=" key to enter a tie, but you must be on the same line in the staff, or you can enter ties for all "tie-able" notes by placing the cursor on a staff line that has no notes. Nothing fancy going on.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

File Attachment :
Djard.mus   38KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 266 time(s).

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/8/2011 9:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The first note in the chord (A below the staff) is just 4 32nd notes (not sure what you call them in Australia), and each one is tied to the next. Next was the E but only 3 tied to the next, and so on.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

COBI
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to COBIAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 237

Posted 2/10/2011 1:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there any elegant way to do the same kind of thing without having to repeat all the lower notes in the chord? In other words, by just entering the arpeggiated chord with one 32nd note per step. I have been able to do this for notation purposes (as in the attached file), but the playback doesn't work right then. Heck, I'm not even sure the way I have it notated is even technically correct, though I think it looks cleaner and still signals my intentions clearly.

Reactions, anyone? Suggestions on how to make this sort of thing play back properly—or is that impossible?

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Beck
Swan-Cross, Ltd.
www.swan-cross.com
My setup: Windows 7 (Home Premium); dual-core CPU; 8GB RAM; Finale 2011b; GPO 4

File Attachment :
Djard-modified.mus   37KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 283 time(s).

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/10/2011 1:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
But just tieing single 32nds together like that wouldn't get the notes in between to play, whether you actually played it on a piano (or guitar) or in Finale.

Try putting my method in Layer 4 with 2 voices and then hide Layer 4, then put the actual chord in layer 3 with the rubato line added as an expression. Then make layer 3 not play back.

That should/could/might work.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/10/2011 1:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are probably other ways as well that would need to hide notes and use slurs to imitate the ties.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/10/2011 2:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try this. Measures 5 and 6

I looks a bit strange, but it plays back and prints OK.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

File Attachment :
Djard Modified 2.mus   38KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 291 time(s).

COBI
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to COBIAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 2/10/2011 9:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Warren,

Interesting suggestions, and yes, your last offering looks a wee bit odd, but plays OK. Good possible solution, but not practical if you're using a slower arpeggio, say 8th notes.

Your other ideas, I think, have considerable merit too, though I have not tried them out. They sound reasonable, though. I'll keep that in mind the next time I have to do something like this.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Beck
Swan-Cross, Ltd.
www.swan-cross.com

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/10/2011 9:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The last file I uploaded plays AND prints correctly (try printing it), although it looks strange in the Finale Window. If you want an arpeggio with 8th notes, then use 8th notes instead of 32nd notes. It really isn't rocket science. :-)

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

Djard
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 2/10/2011 9:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm doing my best to follow the instructions in this thread but still without success. Using the "=" key does not tie any of the arpeggiated notes to the ensuing chord formation: it just ties one note to the next. To make it easier to help me, I wrote the steps that I tried (gleaning from the info in this thread) and hope someone can fill in the missing steps.

1. Speedy Entry Tool -> select layer 2.
 2. Write the notes without the ties.
 3. While still in Speedy Entry, use the "=" key to enter a tie for each note to be tied to the chord formation, making sure you are on the same line in the staff.

Since step 3 above fails, I have to stop and ask my original question: How is it possible to tie notes that skip over others before the chord formation? In measures 4 & 5 in the attached picture, you can see what I get when trying to duplicate what Warren wrote in measures 3 & 4.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Arpeggiated-Chord_3.jpg
  38KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 736 time(s).

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/10/2011 10:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Using the "=" only ties one note to the very next note, as long as the cursor is over the first note. If, however, you have a chord (for example 3 notes on lines only) and a second chord of exactly the same notes, if you position your cursor over the first chord BUT ON A SPACE, then all tie-able notes will tie, but only from the first chord to the second (not to any 3rd, 4th, or 5th chord).

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

COBI
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 2/10/2011 11:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
warrenbarnett said...
The last file I uploaded plays AND prints correctly (try printing it), although it looks strange in the Finale Window. If you want an arpeggio with 8th notes, then use 8th notes instead of 32nd notes.

I see what you're saying, but, while using 8th notes will play back correctly, there is nothing in the notational squiggly line that would tell the performer that you want measured 8th notes, right? So, notationally, this solution is deficient.

I'm thinking of a part that I wrote for handbells recently, in which I had a 13-note chord in which the players, starting with the lowest note, were to come in at 8th note intervals and let their bells ring. Yes, I know you can use the LV expression, but I also wanted the notation to reflect that. The notes to be played (and let ring) were spread across 7 beats of music. A squiggly "roll" mark would never communicate that to the players.

I finally worked out a notation solution that looked similar to the previous example I submitted here. Then I did a "Save As" and worked out a totally different way to get the playback to work right. I could find no way in that case to get the notation and playback both to work in the same file.

Does that make sense? Do I have a question? Not unless someone can tell me how to get that sort of thing to work for both notation and playback in the same file. I think your proposed solution of doing the notation in one layer and silencing playback while simultaneously doing the playback version in another layer and hiding it for notation is probably the closest it'll ever come.

And that's OK. It's a reasonable workaround.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Beck
Swan-Cross, Ltd.
www.swan-cross.com

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 2/11/2011 4:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Djard, you have to use the Special Tools and drag the ties over to the chord manually. As has been discussed, this won't play back correctly but will look correct. One caveat: if the chord to which you're tying the arpeggio is on the first beat of a measure and that measure starts a new system, only the last note from the previous system will tie over to the new system. The other notes in the chord won't have the tie ends you need. The only recourse is either to make sure you don't start a new system at that point or to imitate the ties with small slurs. BTW, in Speedy Entry, you don't have to have the cursor on the note to tie it to the next one. I always just enter the note and then press the = key afterwards. The tie appears, even though the cursor isn't on the note, either vertically or horizontally.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2011, Sibelius 4 - 6
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 5 plugin
MacOS 10.6.5
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (late 2008) 4GB
Kontakt 2, 3.5, 4.0

Amsterdam

Djard
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 2/12/2011 1:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Either you folks are so far ahead of the beginner that you take for granted we know steps that are essential, or I am so concrete in my thinking that I am unable to grasp the instruction. I beg your patience.

Vaughn, Warren was able to write the part without use of the Slur Tool and have it play back exactly as written.

Below is what I tried to do, along with the results I got, trying to replicate what Warren did. I can write DOS code, write html and build a web site, demux and fix asynchronized AV, edit...even create IFOs, and modify the algorithms of poorly encoded video with faulty interlacing, overclock my PC without cooking the mem modules. But writing an arpeggiated chord in Finale has to be the most difficult task I have ever tried to perform on a PC.

1. I entered the last note of the arpeggiated chord with a tie in layer 1.

2. I entered the chord that will form after I write the other arpeggiated notes.

3. In layer 2, I entered the other arpeggiated notes, without ties, since playback of them will be disabled.

4. I clicked on Speedy Entry Tool, held down "Ctrl" key and clicked in another measure that contains notation (I did not click in the measure I am editing). The "Edit Frame" panel appeared.

5. I unchecked "Playback" in the lower section -> Next Note -> unchecked "Playback" again -> repeated until all four notes were, I had hoped, silenced.

6. Then I clicked OK (using the Playback box in the upper frame did not work).

7. I selected layer 4, and while still in Speedy Entry tried to enter same notes as in step 3, using the "=" key to enter a tie for each note to be tied to the ensuing chord formation. The notes would not tie to the chord...only to each other. Since the stem and tie flip did not work in layer 4, I proceeded to do the same in layer 3.

8. Finally set the Playback speed to 20 BPM and audited my work. Only the top note in the chord after the tied arpeggiated notes should have sounded. Nope. The whole chord is played again. Worse yet, I am unable to bring up the Edit Frame again: it is no longer accessible.

I can use the Slur Tool to write what I need, but then the playback is not consistent with what is written (the ensuing chord gets played independently becasue the preceding arpeggiated notes are not tied to it). There's no point in hiding the layer that is played as I can't tie the arpeggiated notes to the chord formed.

I read the entire thread again. If anyone has shared the step required to tie, say, the 1/32nd "A" note in the sample to the ensuing chord, I challenge you to point it out. I apologize for my attitude, but I am sooooo frustrated by this matter, which should not be so difficult.

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/12/2011 3:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You are doing all kinds of stuff with "playback" and checked and unchecked etc. I did none of that. Lets just keep it basic. No ties at first. And we won't worry about the very first chord, just the arpeggiated one.

Using Speedy Entry, in Layer 2, position the cursor at the beginning of a new measure, two leger-lines below the staff, (pitch A). Press 5, backspace, 4, backspace, 2, "=", 2, "=", 2, "=", 2, "=", 6, (jumps to the next measure), "=", 6, ".". This will enter all the required notes on the bottom pitch of your chord (with ties). If you don't want to see the teis right now, don't press the "=" in the above section. Now arrow back so that your cursor is over the second 32nd note of the already entered section but positioned on the lowest line of the staff (pitch E). Now press ENTER to add the E above the 2nd A, "=", right arrow, ENTER, "=", right arrow, ENTER, "=", right arrow, ENTER, "=", right arrow, ENTER. Now postion the cursor above the 3rd 32nd but on the second space from the bottom (Pitch A). Now press ENTER to add the A above the 3nd A (and the 2nd E), "=", right arrow, ENTER, "=", right arrow, ENTER, "=", right arrow, ENTER. Repeat one more time with the cursor on the 2nd space from the top (pitch C#), and enter 3 notes with ties. Now go to layer 1 and with the cursor on the 1st leger-line above the staff enter 5, backspace, 5, backspace, 6, "=" 6, ".".

(If you chose not to put in the ties as you were entering the notes, go back now and enter ALL the ties. There is no method, and no reason, to not enter all the ties. Don't try to cheat things with all-encompasing ties. That would be incorrect musically.)

You're done. Don't mess with anything and it should playback perfectly if you followed my directions. It really is easy.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

Post Edited (warrenbarnett) : 2/12/2011 3:43:23 AM (GMT-6)

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/12/2011 4:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
By the way, your original post suckered me in. Since you created your original image (from the oringinal thread, not this thread) with more than 1 layer, I made the foolish presumption that the was some sort of reason that you wanted the top note of the chord to have a stem direction pointing up, while the rest of the chord had a stem direction pointing down. I can't think of any reason why there should be more than a single stem direction, so enter the entire thing in layer 1. And don't mess with anything. This just plays back as written.

There. Now I can go to sleep.

:-)

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

Post Edited (warrenbarnett) : 2/12/2011 3:04:38 AM (GMT-6)

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/12/2011 4:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I still can't sleep. This SHOULD probably be done with grace notes instead of regular notes, but the grace notes don't tie as expected when you tie them as if they were regular notes. You can actually tie the grace notes to the final chord but it doesn't playback properly, as it restrikes the chord. It probably LOOKS like what you want though.

So, in this case you WOULD need to use layers, and make the layer with the regular notes NOT display, but playback, and make the layer with the grace notes display, but not playback.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

Post Edited (warrenbarnett) : 2/12/2011 3:42:30 AM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Image1.gif
  25KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 379 time(s).

Djard
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 2/13/2011 1:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Warren,

Thanks for your patience and sacrifice of sleep. I didn't mean to "sucker" you in. Out of desperation I posted the same question at another forum and was trying to make use of the instruction. Peter Thomsen went to great lengths to post images of the steps to write this notation, but I get a different result in step 5 and 6. Below is what I have compiled so far. If you or anybody else can spare the time to try the steps, maybe you will be able to enlighten me where I am failing.

Overview:
Layer 1: Enter notes for playback.
Layer 2: Enter notes only for layout (disable playback for these notes).
Layer 3: Vacant
Layer 4: Enter notes for playback then hide them.

2. Uncheck "Automatic Update Layout" -> uncheck "Automatic Music Spacing" -> Apply -> OK.

3. Select layer 1 -> enter last note of the arpeggiated chord with a tie.

4. Enter top note of the forming chord to which the preceding will tie.

5. Select layer 2 -> enter the other arpeggiated notes with ties.

<< Please see the attached image of what I get in layer 2 >>

6. Speedy Entry Tool (upper icon menu) -> hold down "Ctrl" key and click in another measure that contains notation in the same layer (do not click in the measure you are editing). Click until "Edit Frame" panel appears.

<< In step 6, "Edit Frame" fails to appear. The only way I can bring it up is to clicked outside the "Speedy Entry" frame of another measure then click inside it again. This action evidently causes failure to disable playback in layer 2 of the measure in which I'm working because one note in the other measure is silenced. Either the info in the manual is incorrect, which states, "Click the Speedy Entry Tool and Ctrl+click a measure that contains music (that is not being edited with the Speedy Entry Frame)," or my Finale v2011.22 is malfunctioning. >>

7. Uncheck "Playback" box in upper section of 'Edit Frame' -> OK.

<< I carefully followed the instructions; but the notes for me still tie to each other, and therefore the chord formed by the tied notes is played (all except the C# that is tied to the formed chord). The ties in layer 2 of my sample appear different to those that Peter posted. >>

8. Select layer 4 -> enter the same arpeggiated notes as in step 5, but write additional notes that tie again to the next, until tied to the chord formation. For example, if the arpeggiated chord consists of 5 notes, the first note in the progression will be written three more times before it ties to the ensuing chord formation. You may use "=" key to enter ties in 'Speedy Entry'.

NOTE: No need to flip note stems or ties as all notation in layer 4 will be hidden.

9. Click on each note and rest of layer 4 and press "H" key to hide the notation (works in both 'Speedy Entry' and 'Simple Entry').

<< Please see the attached image of what I get in layer 4, where only C# is tied to the formed chord. The 3 notes below should also be tied to the chord >>

10. Click in blank space to clear the 'Speedy Entry' frame.

11. Click on down arrow in Playback menu to speed of 20 BPM -> play back the passage to audit your work. Only the top note in the chord formed after the tied arpeggiated notes should sound.

<< the bottom 4 notes of the formed chord are sounded together, instead of ringing by sustain. So I haved two questions:

1) How did do you write a tie that does not connect to the next note in layer 2?
2) Since the steps in the manual don't work for me, how else is it possible to access 'Edit Frame' and disable playback of the notation in layer 2?

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Arp.Chord.Layer 2.jpg
  50KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 394 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Arp.Chord.Layer 4.jpg
  50KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 398 time(s).

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/13/2011 1:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Djard said...
Hi Warren,

Thanks for your patience and sacrifice of sleep. I didn't mean to "sucker" you in. Out of desperation I posted the same question at another forum and was trying to make use of the instruction. Peter Thomsen went to great lengths to post images of the steps to write this notation, but I get a different result in step 5 and 6.
I saw the post on the other form. Peter was off on a ski vacation, so he was not answering questions on the forum (he mentioned this in one of his posts). Go back to the other forum, and see if he can help you there.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/13/2011 2:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And don't worry, I am not upset, with lack of sleep or being "suckered in" . I just meant that as "I got involved". Peter doesn't hang out on this forum. Damn, he is good though. I take that back, he is the best.

Warren Barnett

Windows 7 
Garritan Jazz & Big Band

Djard
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 2/13/2011 11:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Warren,

Well, I finally got it! For a while there I began to think my Ph.D. stood for Phenomenally Dumb! Even with Peter's valuable help, I had to glean from everybody who lent a hand. I'm grateful to you.

Below are the steps--in detail--that I used to write an arpeggiated chord with tied notes. Attached is a print view sample with 1/8th notes as well as the *.mus file.

OVERVIEW:

Layer 1: Enter notes only for layout (disable playback for these notes).
Layer 2: Enter notes for playback but hide them.

Enter notation to see but not play in layer 1:

2. Uncheck "Automatic Update Layout" -> uncheck "Automatic Music Spacing" -> Apply -> OK.

3. Select layer 1 -> enter notation with the ties (playback of this layer will be disabled).

NOTE: When writing very small notes, use the 'Speedy Entry Tool' (upper icon menu) to drag the notation for spacing as desired. In such case, a rest is added to complete the measure, which you can erase and proceed to enter your notes.

4. Window (upper text menu) -> Special Tools Palette -> Special Tools (upper icon menu) -> Tie Tool (upper icon menu that will appear).

5. Click in measure -> drag handles of the arpeggiated notes to the chord formedation. Zoom in for ease of use.

DISABLE PLAYBACK OF NOTATION IN LAYER 1:

NOTE: The steps for accessing "Edit Frame" in the Finale manual are incorrect. Ignore them.

6. "Speedy Entry Tool" -> click in outside the rectangle or press "0" key.

7. Hold down "Ctrl" key -> click in the measure you want to edit (opposite of what the manual states).

NOTE: You may know which piece of notation is affected by looking at the items in "Edit Frame" window by monitoring the number visible next to "Entry Slot:" 0 = 1st note/chord/rest affected, 1 = 2nd note/chord, etc. If all the notes, rests, and chords in the measure add up to 7, then the "Next Entry" button will fade when you reach number 6.

8. Click on "Next Entry" button until "Entry Slot" corresponds with the first arpeggiated note -> uncheck "Playback" in upper section of 'Edit Frame' window.

9. Next Entry -> uncheck "Playback" -> repeat until playback of arpeggaited notes and the ensuing chord formation are disabled.

10. OK. In our example, the chord formed sustains to the next measure, so repeat the steps for the next measure.

ENTER NOTATION TO PLAY BUT NOT SEE IN LAYER 2:

11. Select layer 2 -> enter notation again but this time add additional notes, tied to the next until tied to the ensuing chord formation. For example, if the arpeggiated chord consists of 5 x 1/32nd notes, the first arpeggiated note will be tied to the same note 3 more times until it is tied to the formed chord. The next note will be written 2 more times before it is tied to the chord, etc.

NOTE: You may use "=" key to enter ties in 'Speedy Entry'.

NOTE: Even though notation in layer 2 will be hidden, use "Speedy Entry Tool" wherein you can drag the notation to superimpose over that in layer 1 (just to be tidy, but no need to flip note stems or ties).

12. Click on each note and rest of layer 2 and press "H" key to hide the notation (works in both 'Speedy Entry' and 'Simple Entry').

13. "Speedy Entry Tool" -> click in outside the rectangle or press "0" key.

14. Hold down "Ctrl" key -> click in the measure.

15. In "Edit Frame" window, repeat steps above; but this time enable "Playback" for the hidden notes.

16. Click in blank space to clear the 'Speedy Entry' frame.

17. Repeat the steps for next measure if chord is sustained to the next measure.

NOTE: You may click on down-arrow in Playback menu to speed of 20 BPM and play back the passage to audit your work. Only the top note in the chord formed after the tied arpeggiated notes should sound.

NOTE: To obtain a print view, click "View" (upper text menu) -> Show -> uncheck "Hidden Notes and Rests." Repeat these steps to re-enable view of hidden notes and rests.

Voila!

As a mental health practitioner, I learned a lot about how folks communicate abstract ideas during this lengthy exchange between the techies (I think I grew a brain cell). It takes a lot longer to follow these steps than to perform the operation. I hope this guide helps other beginners who sometimes need assistance with using software without the assumption we know more than we do.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Arp.Chords.jpg
  59KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 389 time(s).

File Attachment :
Arpeggiatted Chord.mus   44KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 252 time(s).