Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > lyrics: spacing properly  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Click to send Erik Van Geit email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Erik Van GeitAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 172

Posted 3/29/2011 1:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

Couldn't find a solution for this problem. Turning around within the helpfiles (circular links). If somebody can point me where to look.

See how the 3rd measure is not aligned correctly at the word "bloem", causing the text to clutter.
Seems like it has something to do with the rest following the word, since I can get correct alignment without it.

When applying beat spacing it is solved too: 1st measure. But that is probably because of the wider spacing.

I tried to change all alignments and justification settings in the "document options > lyrics" to "center" (not within the attached file) without getting the correct spacing.

kind regards,
Erik

PS: it might be that I am confusing between alignment and justification in my vocabulary, but as everything was set to "center" this wouldn't matter.

EDIT: surely it can be done manually, but I would like to get a global setting

Finale 2011 on Windows

www.erikvangeit.be

File Attachment :
lyrics spacing over rest.mus   5KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 206 time(s).

Mircea
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MirceaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add mircea_fyn to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add tv_mircea to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 642

Posted 3/30/2011 2:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just did a music spacing (note) and update layout and it corrected everything.

©1999 - 2011 E tot ce va spun!

Finale 2011
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Phenom II x4 965, 4GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 3/30/2011 3:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Erik, if you want to have it centered on the note prior to the rest as well, right-click on the syllable and select "Center" as alignment, instead of "Default".

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Click to send Erik Van Geit email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Erik Van GeitAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 3/31/2011 4:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mircea said...
I just did a music spacing (note) and update layout and it corrected everything.

Thanks for your response! Did you mean that you used my file and it was correct after spacing?
Why would that not be working for me?

Finale 2011 on Windows

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 3/31/2011 4:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
Erik, if you want to have it centered on the note prior to the rest as well, right-click on the syllable and select "Center" as alignment, instead of "Default".

thank you for your help!

My question was more meant to prevent the problem than to cure; I would like to know why Finale defaults like that!?
I did some more testing and it seems that the problem only occurs on the 3rd beat. (see attachment)
Changed time 4/4 to 2/2 and 1/1 same problem.

Why does an 8th note on 3rd beat followed by an 8th rest get the lyric misaligned while this problem doesn't occur on other beats?

Who can shed some light on that? Is this a bug?

EDIT: correction it also appear on other places (see 2nd attachment)

Finale 2011 on Windows

www.erikvangeit.be

Post Edited (Erik Van Geit) : 3/31/2011 3:32:32 AM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
lyrics spacing over rest more tests.mus   39KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 189 time(s).

File Attachment :
lyrics spacing over rest more tests 2.mus   5KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 189 time(s).

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 3/31/2011 8:48 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Erik Van Geit said...
Why does an 8th note on 3rd beat followed by an 8th rest get the lyric misaligned while this problem doesn't occur on other beats?

Who can shed some light on that? Is this a bug?
EDIT: correction it also appear on other places (see 2nd attachment)

This is not a bug. What you seem to want is the pre-Fin2011 lyrics spacing (where you either had to use very loose spacing to avoid syllable collisions or you had to tweak each syllable manually).

As with anything having to do with music spacing in the document options, these are your default preferred values, it's not what you always will get. In Finale 2011, the white space below a rest is used to save horizontal space, which usually is a good thing in a score.

If you really want to force everything into centered syllables at all costs, select the "Adjust Syllables" mode, press Ctrl+A to select all handles, right-click on a selected handle and select Center alignment.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 3/31/2011 9:14 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That makes sense, Jari: it's quite logic that empty space under a rest is used.
But what doesn't seem logic is that this creates another collision.

Thank you for your insight!

Finale 2011 on Windows

DCrocker
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit DCrocker's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 511

Posted 3/31/2011 9:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yep, when all else fails:
Lyrics | Adjust syllables

:-)

Always using FinWin 2010 on my own stuff, but using FinWin 2006 & 2007 for a living.
(Previously used everything back to version 2.0.1)