Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale File Icon  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mr. S
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mr. SAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 194

Posted 2/28/2012 3:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm using Windows 7. When I save a Word document there's an option to save the file icon as a thumbnail picture of the actually document. Is there a way to do this with Finale files?

Finale 2011
Windows 7

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 2/29/2012 3:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MakeMusic have created this feature on Mac OS X, using the platform's QuickLook APIs to provide previews of Finale documents within the Finder, including icons. I've always been surprised that the same feature isn't available for the Windows side.

Assuming that there is a extensible architecture in Windows for displaying file icons as the document appears and for previewing the contents of a Finale file without opening Finale, then it's surprising that MM haven't done this.

The other feature that seems to be Mac-only is a module for the system's searching and indexing utility, so that you can search your hard drive for all files that are Andante in D major with a Trumpet, whose filename starts with "Moz", or whatever. (Though it is currently broken in 2012 on OS X 10.7.) Again, I'm surprised that MM have gone to the trouble of creating this for Mac, when no similar feature is offered for Windows.

I'd be surprised, but perhaps it's not possible?

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.2
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 2/29/2012 7:48 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Quite a lot of file formats are NOT shown as thumnails in Vista or Windows 7: Photoshop PSD files for example, whereas simple TIF, GIF, BMP, JPG and PNG files are.

I rather get the impression that Windows displays thumbnails for a selection of "standard" files, as well as (surprise? NOT!) Microsoft-specific formats, but not for other applications.

Brian