Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > MakeMusic's Marketing Strategy  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mr. S
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mr. SAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 194

Posted 3/3/2012 11:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm very pleased that MM has finally started addressing some of Sibelius' "claims" about Finale via their website, but there is still much lacking. I actually had a student yesterday say to me, "I like Finale (we have access to it at our college keyboard lab) but John Rutter uses Sibelius so I bought that." Oh boy...

Finale 2011
Windows 7

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 3/4/2012 12:11 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can't do much about what program John Rutter chooses to use. Make a comprehensive effort to address the (few) remaining shortcomings of Finale and then boast about all it can do... and let the rest of us show our agreement.

David Young

Historicist Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.
Finale 2.4 to Finale 2010.  Logic Pro 8, Digital Performer, Loaded MAC Tower, two screens, a whole bag of sample libraries including Full GPO, some VSL, True Strike 1 and 2, and now Xsample Chamber Instruments and I have a long ways to go to understand how us all of this.... but quite familiar with Finale!

Join us at www.composeforums.com for
arranging and orchestration!

Wa7bqb
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Wa7bqbAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 19

Posted 3/4/2012 3:05 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If John Rutter, one of nearly seven billion people on earth, uses Sibelius, how much market share does that eliminate from MM? When I purchased F2012, I knew that Sibelius was an option. I did not know that John Rutter used Sibelius. If I had known that, I would have bought Finale 2012.

Personally, if Hal Leonard used Sibelius, I might have been swayed. His engraving style is something I strive to emulate. That style is easy for me to read. I realize that I am but one of nearly 7 billion people, some of whom might be choosing which notation software to purchase.

Finale 2012a
Win7 Home Premium
Dell XPS 8000 8 GB Ram
MS HD Audio Device (Yuk!)
Installed SB xFi Titanium HD (Yay!)
Yamaha CVP 309GP

Mircea
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MirceaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add mircea_fyn to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add tv_mircea to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 642

Posted 3/4/2012 8:26 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Rutter uses Sibelius to write and send his scores to the publisher as a modern tool.
If he would have used exclusively a medium soft 2B pencil by BIG and sheet paper provided only by M.Real would that student drop his computer in the bin and go find the pencil and paper John Rutter uses? I would understand if doing this would make you compose like him...

„E tot ce va spun!”

Finale 2012
Win7 64Bit, Phenom II x4 965, 4GB RAM, Asus Xonar Xense Audio card, etc - a good powerful PC.

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 3/4/2012 2:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Students are still young, remember. They may not realize that John Rutter may get Sibelius for free (heaven knows, if I were in Sibelius marketing, I'd make sure he did) and that he has access to plenty of people to clean up his score and parts if needed between composition and performance. Doesn't John Williams still write in pencil and have assistants put the music into Finale? We cannot all be as with it as Harry Connick Jr.

Finale 2012 - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full