Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Another comparison for a Finale vs. Sibelius webinar?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

derFunkenstein
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to derFunkensteinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 28

Posted 7/3/2012 8:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Avid didn't wreck MakeMusic.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2012/7/3/avid-to-close-uk-sibelius-office.html

Fred G. Unn
Registered Member

Click to send Fred G. Unn email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fred G. UnnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 1268

Posted 7/3/2012 9:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like a major restructuring to focus on ProTools and professional video:
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2012/7/2/breaking-news-avid-sell-m-audio-and-video-product-lines.html
I wonder where that leaves Sibelius.

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 7/3/2012 9:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After reading all this, it makes one realize what a tiny portion of the market music notation actually is. Most of the concentration is upon Avid's other products and that's where most of their revenue comes from. It also makes one realize what good marketing strategy it was for MM to acquire both Garritan and XML. One of the responses to this news was, '... when the founders sell their company it's generally the end. Few founders are clueless enough to not know that.' BTW, I couldn't find any mention of any of this on the Sibelius website. Interesting times...

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2012a, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 5 plugin
MacOS 10.7.2
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 7/3/2012 10:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I were MM, I would launch a major campaign of advertising and documentation to help "switchers" from Sib to Finale.

Not to mention sorting out the bits of Finale that clearly don't work.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.4
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 7/3/2012 10:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
Not to mention sorting out the bits of Finale that clearly don't work.

Good advice, although it'd be a pity if it took something like this for MM to get its software to work as it should.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2012a, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 5 plugin
MacOS 10.7.2
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/3/2012 10:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Should MM buy up Sibelius?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed)
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 7/3/2012 10:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vaughan said...
After reading all this, it makes one realize what a tiny portion of the market music notation actually is.

Absolutely true! I believe there is going to be lots of rumors until everything is settled regarding the UK office. Finale needs competition.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

petey forrest
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit petey forrest's website.Send a Private Message to petey forrestAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 670

Posted 7/4/2012 4:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
Should MM buy up Sibelius?

Zuill

I wouldn't complain since I use both. blush hehe

-petey