Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Sibelius UK closure is confirmed – killed by US owners on the 4th of July  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
34 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

NickG
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NickGAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 362

Posted 7/6/2012 1:56 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hope this never happens to Finale!!!...makes me sick.

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/07/sibelius-uk-closure-is-confirmed-killed-by-us-owners-on-the-4th-of-july.html

NickG
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Ultra Quad Core PC - 8 gig ram
Finale 2008, 2010, 2011b, 2012a, 2012b
Cubase 6
Halion Symphonic Orchestra 16bit
GPO 4
Edirol - SD-90
Korg M1
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/6/2012 2:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The question is: if Sibelius is valuable, and someone with good business sense thinks so, it can be bought. Why hasn't that happened? It's been done once, and could happen again.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed)
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1203

Posted 7/6/2012 2:34 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's not that it's for sale; they're just farming the programing work out to the 3rd world...

Back to Finale 2011, Notion, Sonar

Win7 x64, 16GB RAM

RME HDSP 9652, M-Audio ProFire 2626

Kontakt, VSL VI, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos

A closet full of cables, cords, adaptors, etc. Let me know if you need anything

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1733

Posted 7/6/2012 2:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's probably not going to affect most of their users (except that Customer Service Reps may be speaking with a Ukrainian accent, if they aren't already). However, with all the negative publicity, it might be an opportunity for MM to pick up a little market share.

Finale 2012b, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/6/2012 2:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wasn't implying that it was for sale. I meant that someone could make an offer, buy it, and not farm the work out (keep it as is).

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed)

Jonathon A.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jonathon A.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 28

Posted 7/6/2012 3:01 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
I wasn't implying that it was for sale. I meant that someone could make an offer, buy it, and not farm the work out (keep it as is).

Zuill

The programming already takes place in Ukraine and did for Sibelius 7. But the product management has been in the UK all along. Avid has stated that they are committed to Sibelius. So I doubt they would be entertaining offers to purchase it. As much as Sibelius users wish that were not the case.

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 7/6/2012 3:11 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Perhaps the (ex) product management team could get financial backing, launch a new notation product, and steal all thier old customers away from Avid.

Win7 x64, 16GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/6/2012 3:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They could call the new product Finale.

Zuill

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 7/6/2012 3:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Or Sibnale

Win7 x64, 16GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/6/2012 3:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finelius?

Zuill

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 7/6/2012 3:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yeah, I was just thinking that would be better

Win7 x64, 16GB RAM

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 7/6/2012 3:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like Finalius better.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2012a, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 5 plugin
MacOS 10.7.2
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 7/6/2012 3:47 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
IF this marks the beginning of the end for Sibelius as a serious player in the notation market, we are all in for a VERY bad time.

NOTHING quite drives the likes of the Finale development team, than a chunk of plausible competition.

This feels like a nail in the coffin of computer-based music notation. And THAT is really BAD.

Brian

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 7/6/2012 4:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very true. But this isn't happening because Sibelius isn't a viable product, but because Avid is an incredibly poorly run compnay.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Avid-Technology-Reviews-E2291.htm

Win7 x64, 16GB RAM

Post Edited (Bill Reed) : 7/6/2012 3:27:25 PM (GMT-5)

ttw
Registered Member

Click to send ttw email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ttwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 776

Posted 7/6/2012 4:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
Finelius?

Zuill

Finelius
Finelii
Finelio
Finelium
Finelio

Finelii
Fineliorum
Fineliis
Finelios
Fineliis

Finale 2011b & Finale 2012b
GWI, GPO 4, JABB 3, Steinway Basic
Vista Home Premium Gateway LX6810-01

Finale 2011b & Finale 2012b
GWI, GPO 4, JABB 3, Steinway Basic
Windows 7 Professional HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/6/2012 4:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now I can't get the picture of my High School Latin teacher out of my mind. Thanks!

Zuill

David Gaines
Registered Member

Click to send David Gaines email.Click to visit David Gaines's website.Send a Private Message to David GainesClick to Add davegaines to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableClick to Add davidgainesusa to Your Y! Friends List.MSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 179

Posted 7/6/2012 6:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting comment from the UK on the original story at ArtsJournal:

This news has opened the gates for Finale to become the preferred scorewriter in academia the world over. It’s already started in my own university who are now planning to switch.

And don't forget that MakeMusic, Inc. is a profit-driven, publically traded corporation that is, ultimately, no different from any other profit-driven, publically traded corporation. Something similar might happen to Finale one day. Who knows? There are a couple of open source music notation programs out there now of which people seem to think highly. That might be where this field is headed, as it is with word processing, spreadsheets, and document creation in general, not to mention encyclopedias. :)

dg

David R. Gaines, D.M.A. | Composer

ASUS G73jh laptop w/Intel Core i7-Q720 1.60gHz / 8gb RAM / 750gb Seagate Momentus XT 7200rpm HDD / Iomega 1tb external USB HDD / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/Service Pack 1
Finale 2012a, 2010b / Aria Player / Vienna Instruments build 9753 / Vienna Ensemble 4.1 / Kontakt 5
Cakewalk Sonar X1 Studio / Audacity 2.0 / Garritan Instruments For Finale 2012 / JABB 3
Vienna Symphonic Library SE and individual downloads / E-Mu Proteus Virtuoso 2000 Symphonic Orchestra / Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.5

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra / M-Audio Keystation 49e / M-Audio BX5a nearfield monitors / Korg X50 synthesizer / Ensoniq EPS sampling keyboard

www.davidgaines.org
www.reverbnation.com/davidgainescomposer
www.facebook.com/davidgainescomposer

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/6/2012 6:58 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
David Gaines said...
Interesting comment from the UK on the original story at ArtsJournal:

This news has opened the gates for Finale to become the preferred scorewriter in academia the world over. It’s already started in my own university who are now planning to switch.

And don't forget that MakeMusic, Inc. is a profit-driven, publically traded corporation that is, ultimately, no different from any other profit-driven, publically traded corporation. Something similar might happen to Finale one day. Who knows? There are a couple of open source music notation programs out there now of which people seem to think highly. That might be where this field is headed, as it is with word processing, spreadsheets, and document creation in general, not to mention encyclopedias. :)

dg

Indeed ... and thank heavens I've stuck with a stable version that has worked for me for around 8 years already, and shows no sign of packing up anytime soon!

Brian

BopEuph
Occasional Lurker, Occasional Poster

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BopEuphAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1163

Posted 7/7/2012 1:50 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It seems Avid has put a bunch of things on the chopping block. Found this thread:

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26692

Finale 2005
Windows XP
Pentium 2GHz 4GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 7/7/2012 4:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
David Gaines said...

I think MakeMusic learned lots from what happened in the company 10+ years ago.

open Source software isn't yet an option for high-end publishing. Same situation for music notation as for DTP as for image editors. However, MuseScore is an excellent alternative in some fields, such as schools with a tight budget, and for Linux systems.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 7/7/2012 4:35 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wlgold said...
It's probably not going to affect most of their users (except that Customer Service Reps may be speaking with a Ukrainian accent, if they aren't already).

If Daniel leaves, it's going to be a huge difference for most users. He's everywhere regarding Sib blogs, issues, forum discussions, support and development. He's even contacted me in the past, although I am not a Sib user.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 7/7/2012 5:19 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
David Gaines said...
There are a couple of open source music notation programs out there now of which people seem to think highly.

Probably the same people who think you can use Word to design a book or submit a press-ready advert.

Don't get me wrong: I have infinite respect for the people who do spend hours of their free time writing code for open source projects. However, music notation is a VERY difficult task. So much so that full-time professional software (of any brand) still can't do it to everyone's satisfaction despite millions of dollar-man-years spent on it. The open source projects I've seen can do some things very well, but I haven't seen any that can cope with the complexity of a Liszt piano score, let alone Maxwell-Davies, or allow modifications for "finesse".

And there are plenty of abandoned open-source music notation projects. Just because it's open, doesn't mean that anyone WILL pick it up and continue it.

When Apple Macs brought DTP to the masses, everyone thought that the software would do everything: they didn't need to employ a designer. Just use Zapf Chancery in Block Capitals and slap a rounded box with a drop shadow over everything! Now we have many software packages which allow us to do whatever our heart desires -- create audio, write notation, make films, render 3D, layout a book, etc, etc. But owning InDesign does not make us William Morris. Using iMovie does not make us Scorsese.

Music engraving is a skill -- and a separate one from being skilled with Finale or Sibelius. (Lord knows my first efforts with MusicProse back in the 90s were awful.) While learning about engraving will stand you in good stead whatever software you use, the investment of time in learning a product is significant, if you are to get the results you want.

People have been endlessly predicting the death of MakeMusic on this forum for years, and if that happened I would be profoundly upset from the investment I have made in learning how to use it. If I were a Sibelius user, I would be wondering about my investment in learning the product and whether that should be written off.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.4
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/7/2012 6:10 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
People have been endlessly predicting the death of MakeMusic on this forum for years, and if that happened I would be profoundly upset from the investment I have made in learning how to use it. If I were a Sibelius user, I would be wondering about my investment in learning the product and whether that should be written off.

Even if all further commercial development of Sibelius stops today, the copies of Sib 7 that people own will continue working an indefinite time into the future. Ditto if MakeMusic folded, or decided to drop Finale to concentrate all its efforts on SmartMusic and the education market. It doesn't mean that the software we are running will cease to operate.

Sure, until someone buys the spoils, there may be no further improvements or developments - but provided the stuff we already have on our PCs and Macs works correctly, and creates the results we have all been happy with so far, then really there is no massive disaster here - just a sadness that next year's version might not come out after all.

The one thing that DOES bother me is the COPY PROTECTION issue

Sibelius (like Finale) is "authorised"/locked onto a specific computer. What will happen when that machine needs to be upgraded, but Sibelius (or, heaven forbid, one day, Finale) is no longer supported by anyone?

At the very least, one would hope that the makers would either release one final, no-authorisation-needed version - or at the very least, make the authorisation algorithm public.

Brian

Nev
Registered Member

Click to send Nev email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NevAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 68

Posted 7/7/2012 5:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I find this quite interesting considering I have just come away from the dare I say BiaB forum where it was announced that Avid have recently sold off M.Audio to InMusic. Most M.Audio users seem quite happy about the deal as support while under Avid was nearly none existent.
However I also found that a few Garritan owners were finding difficulty with odd bits to do with their accounts on Garritan were either missing or wrong since Make Music bought Garritan.
Interesting times eh?

Finale print music 2004. Finale 2006c Notepad 2007. Finale 2012, and other notation programs. XP sp3 home. Windows 7 Professional. Cornet player, and sometime guitar strummer. location- Lancashire, UK.

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/7/2012 5:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nev said...
I find this quite interesting considering I have just come away from the dare I say BiaB forum where it was announced that Avid have recently sold off M.Audio to InMusic. Most M.Audio users seem quite happy about the deal as support while under Avid was nearly none existent.
However I also found that a few Garritan owners were finding difficulty with odd bits to do with their accounts on Garritan were either missing or wrong since Make Music bought Garritan.
Interesting times eh?

Yep, business is business ... the sole mission is to make money for the shareholders. And once in a while, us mere users get a few crumbs thrown our way in the form of a product update. If we're lucky.

Brian