Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Hiding time-signature and final barlines  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Epukiro
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to EpukiroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2013
Total Posts : 3

Posted 1/29/2014 1:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm asking something that has been answered before. I am writing a set of graded aural tests. In Finale PrintMusic 2011, how do I write a single bar without time-signature or final barline, just containing one chord. (This is for a test where students have to identify a chord as being major or minor, so metre is irrelevant here.)

Thanks in advance!

Johan

Monise
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MoniseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2013
Total Posts : 183

Posted 1/29/2014 5:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hooray! Another PM user.

Welcome to the Forum Epukiro.

Sorry I can't answer your question becos I am also new to PM. But there heaps of very helpful here who will soon be onto your problem.

Cheers, Moni

PrintMusic 2011a, Win 7 Professional, HP Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-CPU 210Hz 260GHz, 8GB Ram, 64-bit System
Funafuti, TUVALU
Central Pacific

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/29/2014 7:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm afraid that you can't do that in PrintMusic. It is laughably easy to do in Finale. If you are a teacher then you might qualify for the educational price for Finale. Meanwhile, you can download the demo version of Finale. (It comes without the Garritan instruments and you will be unable to print or save after 30 days.) In the case of Finale, select the measure tool and the measure you want and you'll be presented with dozens of choices, including hiding time signature, key signature, bar lines, etc.

Finale 2014 with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 1/29/2014 10:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Disclaimer: I do not know PrintMusic. But…

If you can get a ready made Finale 2011 .mus document that does not display neither Time Signature nor Final Barline, then you can use that document in PrintMusic 2011.
However, you may not be able to find a such - rather special - document.

As a workaround, try the PrintMusic template with "blank" manuscript paper.

The manuscript paper does not display a clef (If I Recall Correctly), but you could add a clef symbol with the Text Tool.
Use the font Maestro 24.

To attach the "Clef" text block to the measure/staff, enter the text block from Scroll View (does PrintMusic have Scroll View?)

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014, Dolet 6.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.1, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/29/2014 10:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter, The poster is not asking how to avoid displaying a clef, but now to avoid displaying a time signature. I've searched and there are no "blank" templates available for PrintMusic. There is no problem with adding a clef in PrintMusic, as long as it is from the very limited list of available ones. But, again, the poster is not asking about clefs. (I do have a copy of PrintMusic specifically so I can give accurate advice for questions about it.)

You might also want to note that it is against forum policy to post a file with features not available in a "child" product so that it can be used in the child product.

Post Edited (Ron.) : 1/29/2014 9:18:29 AM (GMT-6)

David Murray
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David MurrayAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 38

Posted 1/30/2014 5:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's a graphic workaround (if you are using a PC at least...not sure about Macs, but there's probably a way there, too). Hit that PrtSc button (usually in the upper right of the keyboard), open any paint program, and paste. Select the chord on the staff, crop to selection and save. Now you have a little image you can paste into your test document.

Finale 2010 & 2014
Sonar 8.5
Sony Vegas 9 & 12/DVD Architect 6

"Making hay while the sun shines"

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/30/2014 6:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron,

I think what Peter meant was that if there was a manuscript paper template in Printmusic, then adding the Clef graphically would be one way.

Also, I don't think he meant posting a file on the forum from Finale that could be used in PrintiMusic. He just suggested getting one. That could come from a friend or colleague without violating the forum policy.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Epukiro
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to EpukiroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2013

Posted 1/30/2014 7:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Ron and others. At least I know enough now to stop wasting time trying to do the impossible.

Will look into the possibility of getting Finale.

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 1/31/2014 3:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron,
There is a blank manuscript template in PM11, under Educational templates. This has no time signature or clef displayed so one would have to add the clef as a character as has been suggested, but it's perfectly possible to do.

Epukiro,
Why bother with a full featured notation program for such a simple thing ? You could easily do this in Musescore which is free.

Fritz

Edit : Sorry for the wrong info - the templates were in PM2010 and earlier but were removed in 2011.

PrintMusic 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010 Windows 7 Home Premium, Pentium i5 750 quad core + 4 GB; Cakewalk UA-101
2nd Tenor Cape Town Male Voice Choir.
Use the Finale Knowledgebase first ! :-)

Post Edited (Fritz Meissner) : 2/2/2014 12:40:10 PM (GMT-6)

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/31/2014 4:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I must be missing templates from my PM installation, because I can't find it. However, glad that there is a way for PM to do what the poster asked.

Epukiro
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2013

Posted 2/1/2014 12:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I also have no Educational templates. In fact, there are only six.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 2/1/2014 1:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fritz, are you still on 2010? IIRC, they stripped some of the templates out in 2011.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014a on Mac 10.9.1
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 2/2/2014 1:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have PM10 and 11 - I was looking at the templates I have in my 2011 installation, but now that you mention it I recall one of my dissatisfactions with 2011 being the lack of templates. From the dates on the template files I think I must have copied them over from the 2010 installation to the 2011 templates directory. Apologies for the misleading information.

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010 Windows 7 Home Premium, Pentium i5 750 quad core + 4 GB; Cakewalk UA-101
2nd Tenor Cape Town Male Voice Choir.
Use the Finale Knowledgebase first ! :-)