Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Turning a note off in playback  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Frack
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FrackAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 7

Posted 10/22/2014 11:08 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a choral score I am working on and I have included a shout in the lyrics and have notated it with a different shape but when I am playing back the piece the shout sounds at the pitch where the X is located.  Can I turn that individual pitch off for that particular incident?  If so how?

Thank you

Phillip Lanier
Finale 2014
Garritan Ultimate Collection
Intel Xeon CPU 3.5 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 Bit
Oxygen 88
PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/22/2014 11:11 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sure. There are several approaches. The easiest is with Jari's JW Change plugin. Highlight the note(s) and under Note Entries/Playback, choose Mute. if you don't have the plugin, in Speedy, ctrl-click the measure, navigate to the note, and deselect Playback. That is essentially what the plugin does.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

CraigP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CraigPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 313

Posted 10/22/2014 12:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I suppose another approach is to place the silent notes in another layer then assign that layer to an unspecified instrument. That might make sense if you have a bunch of these notes, but the individual note editing sounds easier if it is just a few notes.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/22/2014 1:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You might also try this:

Create an articulation that uses a blank character (so it is hidden). For playback, set it to Change Velocity and enter -127 (to cover all possibilities). It works in my test.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Piano Pete
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Piano PeteAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2013
Total Posts : 16

Posted 4/8/2015 10:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How exactly do you "deselect playback" using the speedy entry tool? I have been unable to find any mention of it when looking at the speedy options. The reason I am asking is because I am attempting to make some 64th note tremolos which do not take up an entire page; so I figured I could use the TGplugin to get the notation I want, deselect it from playback, and use hidden notes for playback. Unfortunately the last two parts of that plan havent worked so well.

Post Edited (Piano Pete) : 4/8/2015 9:36:06 PM (GMT-5)

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 4/8/2015 10:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Choose Speedy.
Click on the page somewhere other than a measure so the selection box disappears.
Then hold down CTRL and click in the measure you want.

You will need to move from entry to entry (starting with the first entry of the measure) using the Next button to find the one you want. You have to keep careful count. Sometime checking whether the entry is a note or rest (if your measure has rests) can help you navigate.

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Post Edited (Derrek) : 4/8/2015 9:42:04 PM (GMT-5)

CraigP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CraigPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 313

Posted 4/9/2015 8:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
You might also try this:

Create an articulation that uses a blank character (so it is hidden). For playback, set it to Change Velocity and enter -127 (to cover all possibilities). It works in my test.

Zuill

And a similar trick is to create an expression that transposes the note +100 semitones, putting it out of playback range. You then need a "Loco" expression (which sets transpose to 0) to resume the playback on the next note.

I have found this is a very clean, reliable way to handle those "Play 1st time only", "Play second chorus only" etc things in repeated sections.