Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Unable To Define Expression For Playback  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Daniel Byers
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Daniel ByersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2014
Total Posts : 5

Posted 12/4/2014 6:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am working on an SATB + Keyboard piece. It is essentially finished, and I am trying to embellish it. I need both crescendos and fermatas. Since I need to be able to audition it, I am trying to define the expressions for playback. I am using Garritan sounds, Aria player, and have set Human Playback to On, and MIDI data to Incorporate Data.
I have many times been through "To define an expression for playback" from the user manual; I have tried adding in adjustments not mentioned in that article. I have also consulted two separate books on Finale. No matter what I try, there is no playback effect. (I did along the way learn to always use "play" rather than "scrub" for such tests, so it is not that.)
Several things confuse me: For example, if I designate the Shape ID number, it ends up being some other number. (I don't even know if this is necessary or relevant; I just have been trying any change for effect.)
For the crescendo, I tried both the Expression tool and the Smartshape tool.
I understand that Finale is primarily a notation program, but this seems fairly basic to any playback. (I recall being able to get playback effect years ago in Printmusic 2010.)
Thank you.

Daniel

Finale 2012c
Dell 745: Pentium D940; 8MB RAM; 1TB HD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Edited (Daniel Byers) : 12/8/2014 4:43:37 PM (GMT-6)

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 12/4/2014 6:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Post the recalcitrant file here so that the forum gurus, myself not included, can determine what is going wrong for you.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
2 2TB and 2 4TB internal SATA HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Daniel Byers
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Daniel ByersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2014

Posted 12/8/2014 6:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles Lawrence:
Thank you for the suggestion.
I created a simplified excerpt, then duplicated the steps I took, following as best I could "To define an expression for playback"; to wit,

1. Expressive Text
2. Select cresc. [38]
3. Rename crescendo
4. Edit
5. Human Playback On
6. Select Execute Shape
7. Create
8. Shape ID
9. Create
10. Rules and Grids
11. Eighth Notes
12. 1 Unit
13. OK
14. Draw ascending line 8 units by 8 units
15. Select 121
16. Set Time Scale to 16:1
17. Set Level Scale to 16:1
18. OK
19. Select 36
20. OK
21. Assign
22. Assign to All Staves

I could not hear any change, as with the full music file.
Thank you for your assistance.

Daniel

Finale 2012c
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

File Attachment :
Test Piece - Daniel Byers 1.0.xml   133KB (text/xml)
This file has been downloaded 377 time(s).

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 12/8/2014 7:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Please post your finale file, not an xml. All I see in this file is pp for the first 4 empty measure, then a p dynamic with the text crescendo. Finale needs to see a destination dynamic which you would crescendo to. That's missing here. I also see that this is for voices. Finale needs to be able to understand which instrument is assigned to each staff to be able to use the correct midi controller for crescendos. I don't work with voices, so I'm not sure Finale understands "Soprano, ..."

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Post Edited (Jetcopy) : 12/8/2014 5:59:56 PM (GMT-6)

Daniel Byers
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2014

Posted 12/8/2014 8:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jetcopy,
I understand. I hope this is what you need.

Daniel

Finale 2012c
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

File Attachment :
Test Piece - Daniel Byers 1.1.mus   46KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 210 time(s).

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 12/8/2014 8:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm on a Mac, so your assigned sounds did not load automatically. When I told FInale to choose the sounds, it used voices from the softsynth and the piano from Garritan. Is that what is in your file?

When I played back your file, I did not hear any crescendo. I changed you file slightly and now the crescendo is there.

I put a forte dynamic in bar 9 so we had a dynamic to crescendo up to, and in the playback definition for the crescendo text, I simply chose "none". Human playback knows what crescendo means and will appply it as long as your have starting and ending dynamics in the score. I've uploaded my file.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

File Attachment :
Test.mus   47KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 244 time(s).

Daniel Byers
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2014

Posted 12/8/2014 9:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jetcopy,
Thank you very much. I look forward to replicating your results!
I am glad for the willingness of people on this forum to help others. Finale is a powerful tool, but one of its greatest powers seems to be to make me feel stupid.

Daniel

Finale 2012c
Windows 7 Ultimate x64