Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Using Finale 2014 User Manual without an internet connection  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Derek Watson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Derek WatsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 51

Posted 1/8/2015 2:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I note that I can use the Finale 2014 manual without having Finale running by using the the Learning Center on the FinaleMusic website.
This requires an internet connection.
It would be very helpful if this manual was available to download with no internet connection required to use it.
This is a request to MakeMusic to make this available.
Derek Watson

Finale 2014d on windows and Mac

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 1/8/2015 2:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Perhaps this has changed, but in 2011, the user manual is installed locally as well, and the option to use that instead of the online version is in Program Options/Folders.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 1/8/2015 1:31:32 PM (GMT-6)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/8/2015 4:25 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is also the same in 2014.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/8/2015 4:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Zuill. In 2011, if that local option set and you press the Help button in a dialog for contextual help, it doesn't work (but pulling down the Help menu or using F1 does). Has that been fixed in 2014?

Windows 7, MIDI input

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/8/2015 5:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just tried it--it works. My local copy always opens no matter how I approach it.

Finale 2014c with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

violin and flamenco guitar, composer

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/8/2015 6:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does it take you to the specific page, for example, from the Expression Selection dialog? In my version, if online help is turned off, that Help button always leads to the main help page rather than the Expression Selection help.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Derek Watson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Derek WatsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/8/2015 6:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know I can use the local file in Finale.
What I wanted was to be able to read the help file outside of Finale - say on an iPad or Android tablet

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/8/2015 6:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Look at Program Options / Folders to see where the manual is stored. Copy that folder onto your iPad. Open Finale.htm therein from a browser.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Derek Watson
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/9/2015 3:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the suggestion, Motet.
Unfortunately, it does not work.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/9/2015 3:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
Does it take you to the specific page, for example, from the Expression Selection dialog? In my version, if online help is turned off, that Help button always leads to the main help page rather than the Expression Selection help.
Only when using the Online documentation do you get to the related page. When using the local file, you always go to the main page, regardless. Same old behavior. I guess the programmers have too much on their plate to be concerned with such trivial matters (tongue in cheek while speaking here).

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/9/2015 4:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for checking that, Zuill. Alas. I did report it some years back.

Derek, why doesn't it work? Seems like it should. All Finale does when using local help is fire up the browser on Finale.htm. What happens when you try to do that?

Windows 7, MIDI input

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/9/2015 4:11 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
By the way (nothing to do with Derek's issue) if I paste the pertinent part of the online contextual URL

#CSHID=6012|StartTopic=Content%2FFinale%2FExpression_Selection.htm|SkinName=main

into the local URL, it works, so Finale is for some reason not issuing the right URL. The manual itself is fine, and the browser would do the right thing were it give that URL.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 1/9/2015 3:31:10 PM (GMT-6)

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 1/9/2015 6:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why doesn't porting the Help Folder from the Finale folder in Programs 86 give one access to the help files locally?

Finale 2014c - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar X3 Producer)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
helpFiles.jpg
  93KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 205 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/9/2015 7:01 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It should. You need to copy the whole Help Files folder plus its contents.

If you can't say more about how it's not working (what happens when you open Finale.htm) then I'm not willing to help you further.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/10/2015 4:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We've got Derek and Derrek posting here. Let's not confuse the 2. I think Derrek is trying to help Derek.

Zuill

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 1/10/2015 1:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, and of course I mean for Derek (with one r) to copy the entire folder's contents.

Finale 2014c - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar X3 Producer)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/10/2015 1:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sorry I was confused.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Derek Watson
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/10/2015 3:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Derreck
I did copy the entire help folder to my iPad and ran finale.htm in my web browser
This yielded a page partially filled with text but no links

Derek Watson
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/10/2015 3:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet
Please accept my apologies.
I clicked on an icon and it said I would ignore Motet from now on.
So I cannot see any of your posts.
I did this inadvertently not being very familiar with the rules of the forum.
I certainly did not mean to do this.
Could you please tell me how to undo this?
Sincerely,
Derek Watson

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/10/2015 3:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to your Control Panel (top of page) and select "Edit Ignored Users."

Finale 2014c with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

violin and flamenco guitar, composer

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/10/2015 3:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No problem, Derek. Did you get the manual to work? It should be possible.

Windows 7, MIDI input