Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Unhappy spacing  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dissonance
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DissonanceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2002
Total Posts : 642

Posted 4/8/2015 12:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello!

I'm having some spacing issues. In the attached system, there seems to be too much space at the ends of measures 1 and 3. The end of measure 2 looks right to me. Dragging things around sometimes yields unhappy results after spacing updates.

For the tie on the C# in measure 3, I had to drag some extra space because the notes were to close to see the tie. I would think that Finale should automatically apply the correct amount of space to compensate for the tied C# to the left of the stem.

(I know the ties aren't technically correct, but sometimes it's ok to notate them this way.)

In another score, I attached quarter steps to notes with the expression tool. Is there any way I can get Finale to recognize that these notes need additional space in front of them?

Thanks!
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
spacing.jpg
  58KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 229 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 4/8/2015 12:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just to make sure, reapply music spacing to all 3 measures. Any change? The bass clefs in measure 1 are not aligned vertically. If you align them, and respace, you might have a solution for this measure.

So far as measure 3, I think the amount of space would be considered normal - after all, the spacing on this system is very loose. Trying to add another measure might result in tight, cramped spacing. Better to leave as is (?). Or, add a negative amount of space to the end of the measure (1 space or so - Measure Tool) and respace.

So far as the quarter tone accidentals, enter them as Articulations. Then, in Music Spacing options, check "Avoid Collisions of… Articulations".

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM
New Belgium Trippel Ale

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”
–Assyrian tablet, ca. 2800 BC

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 4/8/2015 1:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How much space are you allowing for tied notes (in Music Spacing Options)? I usually set the minimum distance to 32 EVPUs which can help in cases like these.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.10.2
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Dissonance
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DissonanceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2002

Posted 4/8/2015 3:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had already applied music spacing to the measures. The bass clefs did not align automatically because of the flat in the left hand.

The setting for the quarter-tone accidental worked great.

Changing the minimum distance on the tied notes helped too.

I think it would be great if there was a feature that allowed you to tighten or loosen the spacing over a specific range of measures in addition to fitting measures to systems.

Thanks!

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 4/8/2015 4:33 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not sure Finale tries to align mid-measure clefs.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 4/8/2015 5:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dissonance said...
...I think it would be great if there was a feature that allowed you to tighten or loosen the spacing over a specific range of measures in addition to fitting measures to systems...

Finale most certainly has this capability and I use it all the time. If you have automatic music spacing turned off (which I always do after entering all the notes and before doing any layout work), you can load different spacing libraries and just respace a section of a document. I've done this for multi-movement works in which I've wanted a looser spacing for the slow movements and a tighter one for the fast movements. In a document with linked parts, I've also spaced different parts with different spacing libraries, for example, a tighter algorithm for the violin parts with more notes to be fit into a given number of pages.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.10.2
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 4/8/2015 7:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari has a Note Spacing plugin I use all the time.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Dissonance
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2002

Posted 4/9/2015 3:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the good tips! I just checked out the JW Note Spacing plugin, which rocks.