Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Overture 5  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Eisengrim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to EisengrimAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 129

Posted 1/9/2016 11:02 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So the beta version of Overture 5 just came out, and from what I've seen on the website, it looks to me like they've just taken a bit of a quantum leapfrog over Finale, at least in terms of creating decent soundfiles. Not so sure about the engraving aspect, as they don't discuss it much.

There isn't a demo version yet, and I've never used any of their products, but I was wondering what people might think of what they've done. Looks good, looks bad? Focusing on the right things? Anyone want to start a betting pool on whether the next full version of Finale will integrate some of these kinds of features? For those of us who prefer to go beyond the Garritan sounds, it's currently looking a bit mouth-watering...

sonicscores.com/overture/

Finale 2014d
Garritan Ultimate Collection
Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Virharmonic Choral Bundle

Technological ninny (step-by-step answers, please...)

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 1/9/2016 1:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
if the engraving isn't better than Finale, then there is no "quantum leapfrog" over Finale, is there.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) now using 2012 under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1203

Posted 1/9/2016 2:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, not better engraving, though probably better than Notion. It has many DAW like features for controlling performance and integrating sample libraries.

Finale 2011/14, Sibelius 8.1, Notion 5, Overture 4, Cubase 8
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
August Forster 190

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 1/9/2016 3:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've always viewed Overture as a jack of all trades, but master of none. Its engraving capabilities doesn't match Finale or Sibelius, and its playback controls are less than what you can do with a DAW. It's probably fine for users who want an all-in-one solution., but I've never encountered anyone using it for professional engraving services.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

dewdman42
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dewdman42AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 221

Posted 1/9/2016 7:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Overture4 is definitely a much better engraver then Notion, by a long shot. Its probably not as good of an engraver as finale/sibelius, but its VERY capable. I have used it for some 80 piece orchestral session work and some other composers that were using Finale and Sibelius that were involved were quite impressed with my scores. It outputs very quality scores and is quite very capable....WAY beyond what Notion can do.

Overture4 had significant midi performance capabilities that I feel placed it beyond Finale...and Ov5 will be WAY beyond that, and beyond most of the notational programs in terms of sequencing and sound production, and mock ups, etc, yet with very capable engraving capability. Its a very cool product actually, I will for sure upgrade, while I have so far allowed my finale upgrades to lapse. Just sayin'...

I am by no means a Finale guru, but part of the reason is because whenever I have embarked on a project, I had to choose between Finale and Overture and always found Overture about a million times easier to get going, and to create instantly great looking scores without any fuss. I did find that Overture's (version 4) part extraction was a bit fiddly, I had to do some manual reformatting every time I regenerated parts..which was a headache and possibly Finale's is better. I hope Ov5 will be improved in this and many other areas. It is supposedly a complete rewrite of the software and I can tell you the UI looks majorly new and different, so it might as well be a completely new product. I don't really think there will be anything else quite like Ov5 for quite a while..it fills an interesting niche of a notation based sequencer....that happens to be able to do quite advanced engraving.

The author of Overture even added a feature at my request, the so called "hollywood lines" feature which is able to place really large time sigs and vertical lines on the score as a lot of working conductors like to see for session work. Everyone else has to print out their scores with finale, jump through hoops to make some room on the score and then use a sharpy to write large time sigs and vertical lines.

Eisengrim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to EisengrimAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 129

Posted 1/9/2016 9:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Apparently I didn't make what was making my wallet twitch well enough... Where the superiority seems to lie (as dewdman42 mentions) is in producing sound files. I'm an extremely notation-based composer, but I've always wanted to produce better-sounding scores than Finale allows. I've been looking around DAWs for a while, but it becomes pretty clear pretty soon that those involve basically learning a new language and a new instrument. Which is fine: I mean, Finale doesn't come with 'This is how notation works' workshops. But it's a lot of work, especially for someone who's not hugely computer-savvy. Plus, DAWs cost a fortune. I've been looking at Reaper, but until their score viewer option is a workable thing, there's absolutely no point in my even trying with it.

From the look of it, Overture5 seems like the ideal midpoint between a notation program and a DAW for someone like me. Finale is doubtless better on the engraving front, and I've spent way too much time working out how to works over the last number of years to jump ship; but if there turns out to be an easy way to transfer Finale files to Overture, I'd be very tempted to write in Finale and then switch to Overture to create a sound file (basically, to use it as a DAW, except one where I might actually be able to work out how to do things).

Finale does strike me as falling a bit behind on the sound front, which is fine; if the niche they've chosen is to be the best engraving software, good for them. But with it still stuck in 32-bit and therefore limiting what you can do with other libraries, and its resources being dedicated to the visual rather than the aural, it seems to be they've left a gap to fill which Overture5 looks like it's on the verge of filling.

Mostly I was wondering what you'd think of the audio features they're promising, whether that sort of thing might work with Finale and, if they would, whether there's any chance the Finale elves will ever leave them under our Christmas trees.

Finale 2014d
Garritan Ultimate Collection
Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Virharmonic Choral Bundle

Technological ninny (step-by-step answers, please...)

CraigP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CraigPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 313

Posted 1/10/2016 12:02 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Eisengrim said...
it looks to me like they've just taken a bit of a quantum leapfrog over Finale, at least in terms of creating decent soundfiles.

Overture recognizes that in the modern world of music production, the engravings just aren't a little enclave on their own. Finale needs to take a good look at what Overture has done. This is the big frontier for music production.

Labecki
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LabeckiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 20

Posted 1/13/2016 1:34 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a demo version of Overture 4 or 5?

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 156

Posted 1/13/2016 2:54 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Worth a look maybe... but I just shelled out for the 2014 upgrade, so it will be a while before I try something new.

K M Frye

Finale 2012c, release 13, PM 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2000

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VS2480 portable DAW (4sale), Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 1/13/2016 9:09 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
According to their web site, Overture imports MusicXML, but doesn't not export in that format. A serious drawback if confirmed.

Michel
Finale 2014d, 2012c (main), 2011c, 2010b, 2009b, MacOsX 10.9.5, Mac Mini Intel Core i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express, 3 monitors.

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1203

Posted 1/13/2016 10:52 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It does export also

Finale 2011/14, Sibelius 8.1, Notion 5, Overture 4, Cubase 8
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
August Forster 190

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 1/13/2016 11:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Labecki said...
Is there a demo version of Overture 4 or 5?
Their website says demos are "coming soon".

This is the same product that used to be marketed by Cakewalk, albeit, improved since those days, I would hope.  I used it before I switched to Finale.   I recall it worked fairly well but certainly had its flaws, especially in formatting the pages.  I wonder how it performs now.  When the demos come out, I might give it a try.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Labecki
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LabeckiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 20

Posted 1/13/2016 1:58 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Charles, I did not notice that. :)

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 722

Posted 1/14/2016 2:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"if the engraving isn't better than Finale, then there is no "quantum leapfrog" over Finale, is there."

+1

Music makes the difference!
Finale 2014d
Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz
SB X-fi, 16 GB RAM, 64 bit OS Windows 10

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 722

Posted 1/14/2016 2:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I suspect the folks at Makemusic monitor all the competing choices. I know I would if I were them. But the only serious challenger is Sib.
Sib does have some features Finale needs and soon. :-)

Music makes the difference!
Finale 2014d
Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz
SB X-fi, 16 GB RAM, 64 bit OS Windows 10

nordensten
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nordenstenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 419

Posted 1/14/2016 4:41 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
michelp said...
According to their web site, Overture imports MusicXML, but doesn't not export in that format. A serious drawback if confirmed.

MusicXML export is a new feature in Overture 5 it seems. Toying with a demo of Overture 4 a while back, I discovered that O. is really good at transcribing real time Midi input, so this combination of features made me take the plunge today. By all means, the current available version is a beta, but as of this writing there are some serious problems with MusicXML export.

I tested with a single staff containing one voice with notes, dynamic markings incl. hairpins, and slurs...
Result importing to Finale 2014.5: All accidentals are hidden. (only plugin that will reveal them is JW Accidentals). Dynamics markings incl. hairpins end at the wrong location. Slurs appear correctly.

Another file containing 2 voices produces multiple error dlgs in Finale: "XML error in file XXX.xml at line XXX: The content of element type "backup" must match "(duration, (footnote?,level!?))". The file eventually opens with the same problems as the single voice file. Voice 2 appears as layer 2, but is offset by hidden whole rests, producing a mess...

Importing into Sibelius 7.1.3 produces error messages ("not a MusicXML file...") when the file contains more than one voice, but will finally open. Single voice files open correctly (all accidentals show) with a slight offset of dynamics...

(Finale 1.0 (1988) -> 2014.5) using 2014.5 (on Win since 1997)
Cubase 8.5 Pro & Reaper - Vienna Ensemble Pro - Ircam SPAT - Hauptwerk 4
Libraries: VSL, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Xsample, Embertone, Wallander, Pianoteq, Sample Modeling, EWQL +++
Garritan Steinway - Garritan CFX pianos
Multiple Windows computers W7/W8.1/i7/32GB

Dean L. Surkin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dean L. SurkinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 12

Posted 1/15/2016 10:44 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Somebody said...
Where the superiority seems to lie (as dewdman42 mentions) is in producing sound files. I'm an extremely notation-based composer, but I've always wanted to produce better-sounding scores than Finale allows. I've been looking around DAWs for a while, but it becomes pretty clear pretty soon that those involve basically learning a new language and a new instrument. Which is fine: I mean, Finale doesn't come with 'This is how notation works' workshops. But it's a lot of work, especially for someone who's not hugely computer-savvy. Plus, DAWs cost a fortune.

I've been exporting my Finale files to MIDI and importing them into Sonar, where I can tweek them as necessary. Sonar is not particularly expensive, and it has great capabilities as a DAW running on Windows. While there's a steep learning curve for release-quality sound files, it's not too difficult to make demo-quality sound files.

Dean L. Surkin
Finale 2014, Garritan GPO & JABB
Intel i7-4770K CPU, Gigabyte motherboard, 32 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 1 TB, Western Digital 1.5 TB data disk, HP z30w monitor, RME AIO soundcard
Kawai M8, Yamaha KX-76
Steinway A104030 (1902), restored 1988