Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > missing accidentals  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 715

Posted 2/14/2016 1:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sometimes, after copying measures, or part of measures, or transposing measures, some accidentals are missing. I'm not sure exactly when this happens, might have to do with copying notes that are tied to previous ones (and then copied or transposed). They are not greyed out (as in "don't show"), they are just not there. I can make them re-appear in Speedy with *, but it requires a lot of checking to find these and it's easy to overlook some. None of the available plug-ins seem to find them, as far as I can tell. Is there some way? JW Change/Accidental/Visibility doesn't do it (unless I'm using it wrongly), and JW Accidentals is a total mystery to me. What does it do? How? (and the Profiles are in what appears to be ... Japanese ...) Huh? (for further clarification - I do not use key signatures and I use the Transposition feature chromatically)

Finale 3.7 - 2014.5, GPO4.02, Cubase, ProTools, ASUS laptop, Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, WIN 8.1 (64-bit), 18.4'' display, M-Audio Keystation 49 + Mini 32 keyboards

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 2/14/2016 1:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you post/attach a sample of a few measures containing the problem, perhaps we could help you more quickly.

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 2/14/2016 1:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are the missing accidentals cautionaries?

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 2/14/2016 2:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Or is the OP using single stems for two instruments on a single staff?
That's why a short sample would help us.

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999

Posted 2/14/2016 2:57 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, no cautionaries, not single stems.
Will post a sample, but need to find and prepare something (and no time right now).
Back later ....

Finale 3.7 - 2014.5, GPO4.02, Cubase, ProTools, ASUS laptop, Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, WIN 8.1 (64-bit), 18.4'' display, M-Audio Keystation 49 + Mini 32 keyboards

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 2/14/2016 3:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I vaguely recall some issue with accidentals on notes that have been entered in Speedy and then altered several times with the + and - keys, but I may be remembering something else. A look at the Speedy edit frame of the sample you post should provide the answer.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit tbmartin's website.Send a Private Message to tbmartinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1684

Posted 2/14/2016 8:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've had the same issue, usually because I took a piano score and "exploded" it into 4 parts on separate staves. If the 2nd occurrence of an altered note ends up on a stave different than the first occurrence, it will often have the accidental automatically hidden. This is THE most common source of typos in my work. Very annoying.

I've found the Canonic Utilities will SOMETIMES fix it. Run the utility with No Inversion, No Transposition and "Clear frozen Accidentals." It doesn't always work, and sometimes I also have to run the "check ties" and "Mass Edit/Utilities/Check accidental" and "Mass Edit/Utilities/Check ties." After all these years, I've yet to find the perfect combination of these utilities that works every time.

Warning: I use the antediluvian F2003a. Your mileage may vary

Terence
Saxophone Quartet Arranger
Using Finale 2003a, Windows 10
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger

mm
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 1999

Posted 2/15/2016 2:30 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It could well be related to exploding a piano score, because that is what I almost always do when orchestrating. I also often use the note mover tool to drag certain notes or groups of notes to different staves. I just checked again to specifically see what happens when I move a note that was tied to a previous measure, and there the accidental is missing. I think that is indeed the problem, need to watch that. As a matter of fact, checking some more I see that even copying with Ctrl-C or drag-copying a measure that was tied to a previous one, will make the accidental missing.
Utilities > Check Notation > Check Ties will bring the accidental back. Canonic utilities did not, and Check Accidentals does no longer seem to exist anywhere in F2014.5 That would really be a good feature to have if it worked.
The Explode feature probably isn't the culprit after all. When I explode measures with tied notes that have accidentals and afterwards remove the tie, the accidental appears correctly.

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 2/15/2016 9:21 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mm said...
…Check Accidentals does no longer seem to exist anywhere in F2014.5 That would really be a good feature to have if it worked…

If I Recall Correctly, the utility Check Accidentals has been removed in Finale 2014 because it is no longer needed.

In older versions - with the Check Accidentals utility - (= 2012 and older) we learned that we should always run Check Ties before running Check accidentals.

As you have found out, in Finale 2014 and 2014.5 the Check Ties utility brings the accidentals back.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

mm
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 1999

Posted 2/15/2016 9:26 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The question is if one can really trust it? Would be hard to tell if you run Check Ties on a whole score at once...
By the way, more insights, after all, regarding the Explode feature. If I explode a measure that has notes tied to a previous measure, then the accidental also disappears in that case. Check ties will make it display again.