Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Microphone Recording with my Saxophone  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

DNC
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DNCAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2016
Total Posts : 5

Posted 4/27/2016 11:26 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I bought the MakeMusic Instrument Microphone. I opened a Lead Sheet template in Finale 2014.5 and checked out the MIDI/Audio with my attached keyboard (Yamaha DGX-202). The keyboard worked great. When I attached the microphone to the laptop (Toshiba Satellite with Windows 10) and my saxophone, and used a Bluetooth headset, the MIDI/Audio -> Device Setup -> Audio Setup, the Input and Output tests work great.
My problem is that the mic is not working for recording either an audio track or lead sheet score and is not recognized as a MIDI IN device.
I've tried everything I can think of (changed the audio driver, etc.) but cannot get anything to record from my saxophone.
What can I do to get the saxophone to record?
Thanks.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 4/27/2016 11:59 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale no longer has Mic-Notator, so you're out of luck there.

As far as recording an audio track, that feature is still there, but you need to add the audio track first, then enter the audio with Hyperscribe.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

DNC
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DNCAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2016

Posted 4/27/2016 12:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the fast reply Zuill. I could not get audio track to record either. I did add the audio track and clicked the record button (turned red / on), but still nothing recorded. Am I missing a step to get Hyperscribe to work?
Thanks.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 4/27/2016 12:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just tested 2012 and recording an audio track works fine. Both 2014 and 2014.5 don't work. In fact, it freezes Finale (not responding warning). So, I guess, even though the manual says it can be done, looks like its broken. You might want to report this to tech support.

Zuill

DNC
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2016

Posted 4/27/2016 12:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for validating my results Zuill. I'll try reporting this to tech support.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 4/27/2016 2:56 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I did report this to MakeMusic. However, I found a way to trick Finale into doing it. I loaded an audio file, then went to Hyperscribe and clicked on the first measure. It warned me that it would overwrite the existing loaded track, but it did record.

I suggest you create a mono track for this "trick" approach, and then load it, then record over it. It doesn't actually delete or change the loaded file. It replaces it. However, since Finale only records in mono, if you start with a stereo track, it will only record on the left channel. That's why I suggest starting with a mono track.

Nice to know Finale can be "tricked" to do what we want.

Zuill

DNC
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2016

Posted 4/27/2016 3:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the follow up! I will definitely give this try!

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 4/28/2016 4:52 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I heard back from support. They asked me to set HP to none. It then worked. The manual doesn't mention this, but I was told it should work without having to do this, so it's not in the manual. Doesn't work for me with HP on. Also, it records a stereo wav with only the left channel. 2012 did a stereo wav with both channels. I think 2014 and 2014.5 are broken a bit here. I suggested a Knowledge Base article should be written to mention this bug.

Zuill

Post Edited (Zuill) : 4/29/2016 12:36:03 AM (GMT-5)

DNC
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2016

Posted 4/28/2016 10:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks again for the results of your research, Zuill! Will give it a try!