Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Reproduce a special bar.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

castellanos
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to castellanosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 125

Posted 6/26/2016 1:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi.
I'm working with a friend in a project for Finale and Sibelius, the goal is to publish a piece by the Argentinian composer Juan José Castro.
We are working with the manuscript which has some mistakes.
We came across with this bar:

Forgetting the whole notes which are not the problem here, I think it should sound like broken octaves effect.
I believe the composer wrote a rhythm mistake, the right hand should begin after the left hand and with an 8th note (triplet), so the RH has a kinda offbeats triplets.
I had a hard time trying to figure out how to write this bar correctly, either in Finale or Sibelius.
The closest I get is this:

I hope this is what the composer intended, but may be there is an easy way to do it.
Some other ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Finale 2014.5
Gigabyte - Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz.
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
-----------------------------------------------------
Acer Aspire 5951G
Intel Core i7 2670QM - 2.20GHz.
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 6/26/2016 2:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Your use of 6-lets in the right hand is confusing. I'd stick with triplets. You can have an 1/8th note triplet containing 1/16th notes.

Finale 2014.5

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Post Edited (Ron.) : 6/26/2016 2:42:53 PM (GMT-5)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
triplets.png
  128KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 164 time(s).

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 6/26/2016 4:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why do you think the manuscript is not correct?

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

castellanos
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to castellanosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 6/26/2016 4:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Derrek said...
Why do you think the manuscript is not correct?

Well, there are two ways to play this:
1 - As broken octaves, the right hand should begin with a triplet 8th note in order to have the offbeats (as I wrote in my solution).
2 - If you respect the beginning as it is, then it will be no broken octaves, in which case the last 16th. octave (E) in the right hand make no sense.
In both cases, the right hand is wrong.

Finale 2014.5
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Acer Aspire 5951G
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 6/26/2016 5:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would not use tuplets at all for that passage.
I'd write the right hand starting with a 16th note rest, then a single beam to the end, and the last right hand octave as a 16th note.
I would rebeam the left hand to make it all one beam.
I don't believe the intent was to have two eighth notes as the first set of octaves. I think it is meant to be a single upward flurry of off-set octaves.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 and now 2014 under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

castellanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 6/26/2016 5:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...
Your use of 6-lets in the right hand is confusing. I'd stick with triplets. You can have an 1/8th note triplet containing 1/16th notes.

Yes. I like you suggestion better. I'll keep the triplets instead of the sextuplets.
Thanks.

Finale 2014.5
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Acer Aspire 5951G
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

castellanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 6/26/2016 5:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
I'd write the right hand starting with a 16th note rest, then a single beam to the end, and the last right hand octave as a 16th note.
I don't believe the intent was to have two eighth notes as the first set of octaves. I think it is meant to be a single upward flurry of off-set octaves.

Yes, that crossed my mind too, but I have to try to get closer to the original notation, as much as I can.

Finale 2014.5
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Acer Aspire 5951G
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 6/26/2016 5:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
castellanos said...
Michel R. E. said...

Yes, that crossed my mind too, but I have to try to get closer to the original notation, as much as I can.

the reason I suggested this is that the right hand contains only one single beam, while the left hand has broken beams.
this makes me suspect that the composer may have been either ambivalent or confused about the exact notation he intended.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 and now 2014 under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

castellanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 6/26/2016 6:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
the reason I suggested this is that the right hand contains only one single beam, while the left hand has broken beams.
this makes me suspect that the composer may have been either ambivalent or confused about the exact notation he intended.

Yeah. You have a point.
I could also try that one and see what the pianists think about it. smilewinkgrin

Finale 2014.5
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Acer Aspire 5951G
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 6/26/2016 6:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the intent was indeed offset or alternating octaves and that the first 16th tag in the RH is a mistake. I actually notated this measure in 12/8 to avoid using triplets but this isn't strictly necessary. I'd avoid splitting the octaves between the staves.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014.5, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.11.4
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Castro.png
  47KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 178 time(s).

castellanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 6/26/2016 6:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vaughan said...
I think the intent was indeed offset or alternating octaves and that the first 16th tag in the RH is a mistake. I actually notated this measure in 12/8 to avoid using triplets but this isn't strictly necessary. I'd avoid splitting the octaves between the staves.

Touché!! That's a good one!
How did you write the right hand? It's a 12-let, right? I mean in 4/4 bar.

Finale 2014.5
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Acer Aspire 5951G
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Post Edited (castellanos) : 6/26/2016 7:01:17 PM (GMT-5)

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/26/2016 7:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
castellanos said...
Vaughan said...

Touché!! That's a good one!
How did you write the right hand? It's a 12-let, right? I mean in 4/4 bar.

Vaughan said he notated in in 12/8--why disagree with him and suggest he used a "12-let?" There's no reason you can't have a measure in 12/8 and display it as 4/4.

Finale 2014.5

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

castellanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 6/26/2016 8:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...
Vaughan said he notated in in 12/8--why disagree with him and suggest he used a "12-let?" There's no reason you can't have a measure in 12/8 and display it as 4/4.

Don't get me wrong, I did't disagree with Vaughan, on the contrary. He wrote it in 12/8, so the right hand are just 8th notes. I just wanted to ask how to write the right hand in a 4/4 bar (cos the original is in 4/4), which I think it is with 12-let, right?
May be I didn't ask correctly. Anyway, I think the problem with that bar is solved. Thanks Vaughan!!

Now I'm having a decision problem exactly in the next bar:

As you see here in the second bar, last beat, there is an obvious mistake in the left hand (the double dotted 8th note doesn't fit in), so the logical solution should be this one:

But may be, even though is not completely correct, this example looks better for playing?:

What do you guys think?

Finale 2014.5
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Acer Aspire 5951G
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Post Edited (castellanos) : 6/26/2016 8:35:25 PM (GMT-5)

Ere
Lievonen

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ere's website.Send a Private Message to EreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2013
Total Posts : 266

Posted 6/27/2016 12:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the last example does not look any better for playing. Furthermore, it distorts the composer's idea by introducing a gap in the left hand line.

Finale 2010b. Finale user since 1994.
Windows 7 & Mac OS X 10.9.5
www.erelievonen.eu

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/27/2016 12:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There seems to be a communication gap. Vaughan never needed to write a 12-let. He just use the "display as" option in the time signature tool.

Finale 2014.5

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
12_8_as_4_4.png
  40KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 173 time(s).

castellanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 6/28/2016 9:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...
There seems to be a communication gap. Vaughan never needed to write a 12-let. He just use the "display as" option in the time signature tool.

Yeap. Thanks Ron for the explanation.

Ere said...
I think the last example does not look any better for playing. Furthermore, it distorts the composer's idea by introducing a gap in the left hand line.

Ok. Thanks for your comment.
I think I will stick with the first example.

Finale 2014.5
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Acer Aspire 5951G
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

RVS Lee
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RVS LeeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 352

Posted 6/28/2016 10:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Late to the conversation but some additional solutions below;
The first measure breaks all sorts of 'rules' but may be the clearest expression of Castro's intentions.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
castro.png
  327KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 296 time(s).

castellanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 6/28/2016 5:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RVS Lee said...
Late to the conversation but some additional solutions below;
The first measure breaks all sorts of 'rules' but may be the clearest expression of Castro's intentions.

Nice one. Thanks.
I like how you solved the second bar, last beat. 16th tied to a dotted 32nd looks better.

Finale 2014.5
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Acer Aspire 5951G
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Post Edited (castellanos) : 6/28/2016 5:47:38 PM (GMT-5)

dfwmd
Registered Member

Click to send dfwmd email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dfwmdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 536

Posted 7/2/2016 2:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could also notate the final beat of the left hand (in the second measure) as a sixteenth note quintuplet and hide the "5" to get it to look exactly like the manuscript.

Finale 2014d Windows 10 64-bit
GPO 4 Aria / JABB 3 Aria
Kontakt 4 Full Factory Library