Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > On Playback, also create "silent" click track  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dan Hawaii
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan HawaiiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2016
Total Posts : 5

Posted 8/22/2016 3:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That pretty much explains it. I will use Finale to play an accompaniment while I perform live. To closely synchronize my performance with the Finale file that contains changes in tempi, ritardandos, starts and stops, and accelerandos, I want a click track that only I can hear through a small earbud in one of my ears.

In other words, there needs to be two outputs, a group of channels to my MIDI piano and one channel to my earbud. Can this be done? The only solution I can think of is to export the file into stereo audio, with one channel going to the piano and the other stereo channel going to my earbud.

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 8/22/2016 5:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dan

A solution might be to set up a 'virtual midi port, using something like virtual midi

The scenario would be to:
Set up a virtual midi port on you PC
In finale, Assign that midi port to channel 17 (In the MIDI Setup dialogue box, click on "Show Advanced)
Still in Finale either, create an additional staff, assigned to channel 17 with single notes for your metronome (1/8th mp, 1/16th p, 1/16th p, 1/16th p <-4/4 time)
or
Play with the Click and Countoff settings (MIDI/Audio->Click and Countoff) and set the click to play on channel 17
Outside of Finale, use a soundfont player such as FluidSynth GUI If you're using the click and countoff from Finale, or just use Aria loaded with a random instrument (piano??) if you've set up your own tempo staff. Set that to use the virtual midi port you created as it's input. You should then just be able to plug the audio output of your computer into your earbud, while the Midi output Audio gets handled by your Piano.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006-2011, Finale 25 - Win7 64 bit

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 8/22/2016 6:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dan

<slaps own forehead>
I obviously did not get enough sleep last night! Talk about an overly complex solution!

This is assuming that the only actual Audio to come out of Finale is the click track. All Audio is going to be handled (via midi) on you Piano. Is that right?

In that case....
Don't worry about much of what I said in my last post.
In Midi Setup, ensure that you have one set of channels assigned to Softsynth. (If you're using only 16 channels on your piano, then channels 17 - 32 will be fine)
Add an extra staff to your score. Set that staff to be Percussion, and set the device to be 2. Smartsynth
In the Click and Countoff dialog, set the options to click and countoff while playing. Metronome Sound source: MIDI Data Channels 26

Now, the clicks will come out of the audio output (just plug in earphone jack)
Performance stuff will be sent to your Piano

See the attached pics

Cheers...

------------------------

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
01_Midi_Setup.jpg
  78KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 333 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
02_Score_Manager.jpg
  81KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 325 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
03_Click.jpg
  39KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 280 time(s).

Daz
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 8/22/2016 7:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dan

Gosh, I really did not get enough sleep last night.

Don't worry about adding the extra staff. I had placed that in there while trying to get things to sound right.
Just assign the MIDI output in the click an countoff settings
In other words, ignore step 2. Just steps 1 and 3.

Sorry about the multiple edits....

Cheers...

------------------------

Daz
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 8/23/2016 3:43 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So...

I decided to have a bit of fun with this one.

I've come up with an interesting solution.
This will work given that:
1) Your computer has a wireless network adapter
2) You have an IOS device. An iPhone (gen 4 or better), an iPod (gen 4 or better) or an iPad (gen 3 or better)
3) A bit of time and patience to fiddle and play.

Right....
First, create an AdHoc wireless network on your computer. This will be used while you're out performing. While you're at home, your normal home wireless network (if you have one) can be used. Follow the instructions for windows 7 here. Also follow the instructions for Step 2.
Next, find a suitable iOS app which will be used to play your tempo track. Any free midi capable synth should do. I tried SynthMaster. I suggest searching for a (free) piano synth with midi in support
Now get a hold of and install rptMidi
This is a device driver for windows wihch will create a virtual midi port that can be used over a network connection. I believe that it can also act as an inter-app midi connection.
There is a quite detailed tutorial on how to set it up and how to connect once it's up and running here

Once you have rptMidi set up, make sure that you iOS device is running anb connected to your AdHoc/Wireless network. Connect the device to your computer following the tutorial.

In Finale, follow the steps in my second post, but instead of using the SmartSynth for midi putput, use your iOS device (it should be listed as your devices' name in the midi dropdowns)

You can either use the Finale click and countoff as I described (just set the appropriate midi channel in both Finale and on your device), or you can create a staff with notes, depending on what instrument and sound you are using.

So now you just need to connect your earbud to your iOS device and get a tempo track.

Something similar can be done with an android device, but not using the network. I've only found players that use a MIDI USB cable for MIDI input.

One reason that I found this interesting is that it opens up a world of sounds and players on the different mobile devices that can be used in intresting ways while performing/playing/wasting time exploring options

Cheers...

------------------------

Post Edited (Daz) : 8/23/2016 2:47:06 AM (GMT-5)

Dan Hawaii
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan HawaiiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2016

Posted 9/8/2016 7:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, this is Dan, the original poster. Thanks for your impressive study and response! If i can impose you on slightly one more time...

I've experimented and discovered that my computer does not have sufficient memory to process a giant synthesized stack of sounds plus Garritan strings, etc. (4 GB RAM) without distortion. I've learned that I can get accurate sound reproduction by exporting the final result to a WAV file and just playing that over large speakers plus subwoofer. So...

Now I need synthesized channels going as a WAV file to my speaker system via hardware and the click file going to my ear via bluetooth. I think I need a software mixer that will send the left stereo channel to my speakers via hardware and the right stereo channel to my earpiece via bluetooth. Is this possible?

Short of buying a new computer, this seems what I have to do now. BTW, do you know what would be minimum PC RAM and processor speed to handle a really large Finale file?

Daz
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/8/2016 8:47 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dan

What is your current computer system (give as much detail as you can), and which version of Finale are you using?
Could you also give me some details about your sound card/sound output setup.

At a minimum, you would want a system with an Intel Core i5 (or AMD equivalent),
however most contemporary systems will be able to handle large scores if they are given enough memory.
(By contemporary, I mean systems purchased/built within the last 3 or so years)

At a minimum, you would want 6Gb of Ram if you're running on a 32 bit OS (Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 32 bit) - (You will still face some stuttering etc on larger scores)
If you're running a 64 bit OS (windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8, Windows 10) then 8 Gb of Ram minimum is recommended - (Fewer problems, but you may still run into issues with very large scores)

If you are running Finale 25 the I'd suggest trying to up your ram to at least 16Gb. - (I've not yet run into a score which stutters. My system specs are in my signature.)
As a last thought, if your system can support it, the addition of an SSD (on which you should load the Garritan libraries) will help matters.

Once you have sent me info on the sound setup, I'll try to come up with an idea / solution

(post edit: Do you have access to , or do you use any DAW software such as Reaper or CuBase etc?)

Cheers...

------------------------
Core2 Duo i7-4790, 16Gb Ram, Soundblaster Z

Post Edited (Daz) : 9/8/2016 11:32:49 PM (GMT-5)

Daz
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/8/2016 10:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dan

So after some consideration, I think that a wiring solution is probably best. I'm not aware of mixer software which can route the individual L R channel to separate output devices on your computer. Take into account that you will have to ensure that the audio track you produce does not have any 'bleed' between the Left and right channels

So...
First some cables. A Splitter (female RCA plugs), which will plug into your computer
A second splitter (Male RCA plugs). This will go from one channel output of your computer to your speaker
Then you'll need a bluetooth Audio transmitter such as this one. This will take the other channel output to your headphones/earbud (Shown for demonstration only. It was the first one I found when I did a search. Shop around to find one which is cheaper!)

The model that I've shown has a female 3.5mm stereo to Male RCA Y cable. If the one that you wind up getting does not come supplied with one, just get one like this one

So you plug the short Y cable into the audio output of your computer. You plug the Bluetooth transmitter to one RCA connector of that cable, and the long cable gets plugged into the other which then plugs into your speaker/sub
The Bluetooth transmitter gets paired with your earbud.

Cheers...

------------------------

Post Edited (Daz) : 9/8/2016 9:17:03 PM (GMT-5)

Dan Hawaii
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2016

Posted 9/9/2016 6:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale 2014
Windows 10
Lenovo Yoga with Pentium I5 and 4 GB RAM

I'm sure the 4 GB Ram is my big problem. It can't be upgraded on this computer so will save up for a new one!

Thanks again for solutions. I'll order a Bluetooth transmitter. Have various lines out and splitters already.

Daz
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/9/2016 7:15 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dan

Evidently you can upgrade the Yoga with up to 8Gb of Ram.

It does require pulling the thing apart, so if you're still within your warranty period it might not be a good idea as it might void your warranty.
However, if you're willing to explore the idea, here are a couple of howtos

http://vmtoday.com/2013/01/how-to-upgrade-memory-and-storage-on-the-lenovo-ideapad-yoga-13/

and

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Upgrading-Lenovo-Yoga-Ram-amp-SSD/td-p/990073

Both describe upgrading the ram and adding an additional SSD Hard Disk

It's unfortunate that the second how to (from the lenovo forums) has poor quality pics for the second part, but it does have very good pics up to the stage on installing some additional memory.

Cheers...

------------------------

Daz
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/9/2016 8:12 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dan

Final though on upgrading the Yoga.

If you're not comfortable with the idea of prising the tablet apart, you could take it to one of those shops/kiosks that replace phone screens etc.
They have the plastic tools used to pry open iphones and ipads and they're used to working with devices that have limited finger space.
Show them the howtos and see if they're willing to do it.

It might cost a few bucks, but all up it should be a heck of lot less that getting a new system.

As I say though, *only* if you are willing to void your warranty (if it is still in its warranty period)

Cheers...

------------------------