Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 25, percussion maps  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 9/20/2016 1:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a file I'm missing?
When I try to adjust the percussion map for my snare drum (I want it on the single line staff, on the line), it gives me a note way below the staff.

When I try to go into the percussion maps and edit its position, it SAYS that the snare is in the right position, but entering a note still gives me a timpani or bass drum (whichever).

Middle C on my MIDI keyboard should give the note I want. But it won't put it where it goes.

Then if I go in and try to create a new percussion map, it gives me only general midi, none, or softsynth as options.

I'm wondering if during installation some file relating to the percussion soundmaps might not have been installed?

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries) under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 9/20/2016 2:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Michael

When you purchased Finale 25, did you do so by first downloading and installing the demo, then purchasing, registering etc?

If so, did you then download and the re-install the full version. You need to install the full version. The Demo does not have any of the Garritan support files at all.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006-2011, Finale 25 - Win7 64 bit
Core2 Duo i7-4790, 16Gb Ram, Soundblaster Z

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003

Posted 9/20/2016 2:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
oh wonderful.
Does this mean I have to delete the demo? or can I re-install right over the demo?

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries) under Windows 8.1

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 9/20/2016 3:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Michael

You should be able to install over the demo.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006-2011, Finale 25 - Win7 64 bit
Core2 Duo i7-4790, 16Gb Ram, Soundblaster Z

Jolora
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JoloraAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 684

Posted 9/24/2016 8:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The missing files should be available for separate download. Go to the Garritan support web page and look for "Using Garritan xxx with Finale" At the end of the page are zipped files.

Joe

Finale v1 through 2014.5
JW Plugins; TG Tools (Full)
Garritan GPO 4; GPO 5; Garritan COMB 2; Garritan JABB 3
Anvil Studio 2015 midi editor
PhotoScore Ultimate 8
Band-in-a-Box

Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i7-4771, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD (C Drive)

Jolora
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JoloraAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 684

Posted 9/24/2016 8:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, and except for GIFF, the Garritan support files from your previous installation will work fine, they are unchanged.

Joe

Finale v1 through 2014.5
JW Plugins; TG Tools (Full)
Garritan GPO 4; GPO 5; Garritan COMB 2; Garritan JABB 3
Anvil Studio 2015 midi editor
PhotoScore Ultimate 8
Band-in-a-Box

Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i7-4771, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD (C Drive)

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 9/24/2016 8:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When upgrading I keep a copy of the midi device annotation folder and a copy of the "data" folder--then copy the contents into the new locations, making sure not to overwrite any existing files (a windows option). It is a lot faster than downloading everything again. Of course, you can do the same thing by copying the files from the 2014 folders.

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 9/24/2016 8:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
when I try to set up a percussion instrument, the only options I get are "none default midi", roll-off something or other, and garritan instruments for finale.

is there a file that lets me set up percussion instruments that come from GPO5?

I've tried the "setting up finale with xxxx library" and all I get are errors whenever I click on those links. I've tried them for months and they always give me errors. they jsut go to a blank page that says something about an error accessing info or something.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/24/2016 9:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you copy the folders I mentioned above from Finale 2014. to your Finale 25 folder (without overwriting existing files), does that not work? That's all I did.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 9/24/2016 9:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I installed Finale 2014, but never bothered setting it up for playback.
so I don't even know if I have those files.
I've looked and see nothing specifically that isn't already in the same folders in Finale 25.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 9/24/2016 9:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ok, I finally found what I needed... it was NOT easy.
I don't understand why these things are not done automatically during installation.

and setting up percussion was supposed to be "easier" now... it seems just as arcane and confusing as before.

Eisengrim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to EisengrimAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 129

Posted 9/24/2016 4:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, well, that answers my questions about whether Finale 25 was going to improve percussion at all. Not that I expected to, I was just curious.

The percussion oddities are always going to remain the most bizarre feature of Finale for me. Well, that and why (as far as I know) they never gave us downward arpeggios, something I see to recall Sibelius managed 15 years ago. I sometimes wonder if it took them more time to write up how to do things for the help files than it would have taken them to just create the option in the first place and include it for us. But then, I'm not a programmer.

Finale 2014d
Garritan Ultimate Collection
Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Virharmonic Choral Bundle

Technological ninny (step-by-step answers, please...)

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/24/2016 5:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have had long and detailed discussions with MM staff about the "new, improved percussion" years ago when it first came out. The staff then were insistent that their way was the best way. However, all those who swore by this wonderful new convoluted system have all long left the company, as far as I know. Maybe the new guys can rethink it. It is far more complicated than it need be and unintuitive (unlike the old system that they deplored which even I could understand and use).

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/24/2016 5:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is v25 different than 2014.5 in regards to Percussion Maps and Layouts? I'm probably one of the few that have figured them out. One of my favorite tricks is mixing 2 Maps in the same Layout for use with 2 Layers. Takes a bit of learning, but powerful.

Anyway, as I am waiting to "upgrade" for the present, I am curious as to the differences.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/24/2016 5:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I haven't noticed any differences, but, then I use only the most basic percussion because I can't figure out how to do anything more complex than a snare drum and bass drum. (In the old system, I could easily use any percussion instrument I could find in any library, but that was too "hard" according to MM staff.)

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com