Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > what is preventing note-position drag here?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ms'n'pencilAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2015
Total Posts : 85

Posted 10/3/2016 8:14 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As you can see, below (LH staff), the dot that belongs to the dotted 8th F#is on the wrong side of the whole note G#.

To fix this, I tried to drag the two whole notes (D and G#) slightly to the right, so that I would have room to re-position F#'s dot. However, no matter what I tried, Finale would not allow those whole notes to be dragged. I checked my document options settings, but couldn't find anything that would explain this behaviour.

(N.Grossingink, I'm trying to leave formatting till after I've completed entering everything in Scroll View, but wanted to first see if I could do this operation, so that I could format it later.)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
can't drag whole notes to right .JPG
  15KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 117 time(s).

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 10/3/2016 8:28 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you in the right layer when trying to move the notes in question?

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries), putting Finale 25 through its paces.
Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ms'n'pencilAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 9:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
Are you in the right layer when trying to move the notes in question?

Hi, Michel. Yes -- in Speedy, one can only drag within the designated layer. (I can see that it's the correct layer via the notes that are black -- ie, not greyed out.)

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 9:02 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm. . . I wonder: within the OTHER layer (ie, of the dotted 8th), there are notes and stems that are invisible (via Special Tools), to make way for the cross-staff notes from the RH staff. Could this have anything to do with what's happening?

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/3/2016 9:03 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can you try it in Simple?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 10/3/2016 9:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ms'n'pencil,

It might be a good idea to de-select “Automatic Music Spacing” - to avoid that “Automatic Music Spacing” moves the notes, thus destroying your layout work.

The others have already given you some suggestions.

Here is one more:
You can change a note’s Position value with the (very technical) dialog box Edit Frame.
How to get there:
(You must be in the correct layer)
Speedy Entry Tool.
Click outside the staff to exit the Speedy Entry rectangle.
Hold down Ctrl, and click inside the measure/staff

See the screen shot.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.11.6, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
EditFrame.jpg
  65KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 174 time(s).

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 9:23 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
Can you try it in Simple?

Thanks, Mike, but I had no idea that one can drag notes via Simple Entry. How is it done?

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 9:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter Thomsen said...
You can change a note’s Position value with the (very technical) dialog box Edit Frame.

This is amazing, Peter! Where does one normally find such great information?!

Peter Thomsen said...
It might be a good idea to de-select “Automatic Music Spacing” - to avoid that “Automatic Music Spacing” moves the notes, thus destroying your layout work.

Forgive my ignorance, but where does one find that option?

As well, this is the first time -- in decades -- that I can recall Finale not allowing a note to be dragged, horizontally, via Speedy, and I'm pretty sure I've always had "Automatic Music Spacing" on, since - given that I don't know where to turn it off - that's likely the default. If that's the case, wouldn't there be something that's preventing it?

Many thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 10/3/2016 10:02 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ms'n'pencil said...
… Where does one normally find such great information?! …

Ask here in the forum. smilewinkgrin

The info is also in the online manual.
Try e. g. a search in the manual for “edit frame”.

ms'n'pencil said...
… Forgive my ignorance, but where does one find that option? …

Automatic Music Spacing is a program specific setting (not a document specific setting).

You can find it in
Preferences - Edit - Automatic Settings

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.11.6, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 10:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter Thomsen said...
The info is also in the online manual. Try e. g. a search in the manual for “edit frame”.

Thanks, Peter! I'd been looking for it in the manual's "Encyclopedia"

Peter Thomsen said...
You can find it in Preferences - Edit - Automatic Settings

Thanks again!

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 10:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter Thomsen said...
Ask here in the forum. smilewinkgrin

You guys are amazing, but I'm at times reluctant to bug you. (I'm surprised to find that such experts are so often 'tuned in' to this forum! On the other hand: are some of you under contract with MakeMusic, as an online alternative to phone support?)

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 10/3/2016 10:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If this is a keyboard example, I'd be less picky and change the dotted eighth to a quarter. The improved readability is worth it, and the player will know to re-strike the F# sixteenth.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 10:41 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Derrek said...
If this is a keyboard example, I'd be less picky and change the dotted eighth to a quarter. The improved readability is worth it, and the player will know to re-strike the F# sixteenth.

Good point, Derrek -- I will consider it.
The texture, here, is repeated through a whole section (of course, I could also write "simile", after the first bar or two), and I want the performer to be strict in playing 'senza pedale'.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 10/3/2016 1:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In simple, you would use the Note Mover tool. Select the tool (make sure you're in the right layer) and click in the measure. You will see a handle above each note.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 1:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
In simple, you would use the Note Mover tool. Select the tool (make sure you're in the right layer) and click in the measure. You will see a handle above each note.

Thanks, Mike.

Hmm. . . the Note Mover tool does not seem work with these notes -- they won't budge! (But I have no trouble moving notes from one staff to another using it. . .)
Re. using it 'in Simple': aren't they each their own tool? What am I missing?

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 10/3/2016 2:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ms'n'pencil said...
Mike Rosen said...

Thanks, Mike.

Hmm. . . the Note Mover tool does not seem work with these notes -- they won't budge! (But I have no trouble moving notes from one staff to another using it. . .)
Re. using it 'in Simple': aren't they each their own tool? What am I missing?

Mike is referring to the "Note Position Tool", the very first tool in the Special Tools Palette. The Note Mover is something else all together, mainly for cross staffing. I myself make this mistake all the time.

N.

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 3:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
N. Grossingink said...
Mike is referring to the "Note Position Tool", the very first tool in the Special Tools Palette. The Note Mover is something else all together, mainly for cross staffing. I myself make this mistake all the time.

Thanks, N. -- that makes a world of difference! ; - )

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 10/3/2016 3:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And I made it too. Again.

Apologies!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

ms'n'pencil
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2015

Posted 10/3/2016 3:56 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
And I made it too. Again.

Apologies!

No need to apologise, Mike - the help that you and other experts so generously offer at this Forum is saintly.

Frankly, I don't know how you guys do it! Finale often seems like an endless vortex, ready to deplete one of all energy, initiative, and even the desire to compose ; - ) Their non-existent phone support just adds insult to injury.

Without your help, I, for one, would have shelved Finale long ago.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/3/2016 7:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am just jumping in here. Have we seen a file, or just a picture? A file would give us the complete picture.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 10/3/2016 8:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill, there is a picture in the first post. But yes, a file would be easier to troubleshoot.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com