Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Layers and Copy/Paste problem for certain notes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

krush
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to krushAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2016
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/7/2016 9:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I’ve come across a problem in Finale and I’m wondering if others have as well.

I’m moving a bunch of chorales in vocal short score to open vocal score. I’m copying and pasting to a separate open score document. My issue is that when using layer 2 for the alto and bass lines in short score, there are intervals of a second between layer 1 and layer 2 in the same staff that require notes in layer 2 to be “shifted” to the right. Everything works fine and as expected in short score, but when copying and pasting the vocal lines to another document that is open score, the notes that have been shifted remain shifted, and have their stems in the wrong direction.

A specific note example would be a quarter note G4 in the soprano (Layer 1), and a quarter note F4 in the alto directly below it (Layer 2), both in the treble clef. The F4 is shifted slightly to the right so that the up stem of the G4 and the down stem of the F4 are aligned. See attached PDFs.

Correcting the stem direction is easy. When all voices have been copied, I select all and use UTILITIES > STEM DIRECTION > USE DEFAULT DIRECTION and that corrects any stem issues. However, I can’t seem to find a way to get the notes in question to “let go” of the x offset they require for the short score, but not for the open score. I’ve tried UTILITITES > MUSIC SPACING > APPLY MUSIC SPACING TO SELECTED PARTS/SCORE… and UTILITIES > UPDATE LAYOUT but no luck.
I don’t want to have to reenter the notes manually so that they align vertically properly. That defeats the purpose and reintroduces human error. But at the end of this process it’s the MusicXML that I need, and the x offset is in the XML data.
Incidentally, if I go in the other direction, there is no problem. That is, I create the open score first, then copy and paste the vocal lines into the appropriate layers in a short score. The destination short score makes the necessary adjustments and all is perfect without any “fixes” required.

Is there some way to “reset” the X position of notes that I’m not thinking of? Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

File Attachment :
Note X Test SS.pdf   25KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 101 time(s).

File Attachment :
Note X Test OVS.pdf   29KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 92 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 10/7/2016 10:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finish your entire copy and paste procedure - don't worry about the misaligned notes. Then go to Document Options > Music Spacing and set the "Manual Positioning" dropdown menu to "Clear". Run Music Spacing and all of the offsets will be cleared.

N.

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

krush
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to krushAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2016
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/7/2016 10:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you so much! That works wonderfully. I really appreciate your help. I never would have found that solution on my own.

Krush