Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > PrintMusic Repeats w/ Multi- Measure First Endings  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

leojbramble
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 10

Posted 10/5/2002 10:42 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I cannot figure out how to get multiple endings to work in PrintMusic! in cases where the first ending contains more than one measure.

It seems I need to make an indication in the first measure of the first ending to indicate that that's where playback should skip from the second time around, plus of course I need to make an indication in the last measure of the first ending to indicate the repeat point. So I'm not sure what repeat symbols to use in each one.

PM seems to use the term 'target measure' in multiple ways, both as the measure you skip BACK to for a repeat, as well as the measure you skip FORWARD to for a second ending, so I'm totally confused as to how to use the options in the repeat dialog box.

Finale/Allegro users seem to suggest some sort of plug-in option, but that option doesn't appear to be available for PM...

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 10/5/2002 8:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joel,

The target measure is simply the measure that the repeat jumps to, either forward or backward as you mentioned. To make a 1st/2nd ending, you need to place at least 3 repeat marks in the score.

In the last bar of the 1st ending, use the backward repeat with bracket icon (3rd repeat mark from the left in the dialog box). The target measure is the bar that you want the repeat to go back to.

The first bar of the 1st ending uses the multiple ending repeat icon (far left in the dialog box) and the target measure is typically the first bar of the second ending.

The first bar of the second ending also uses the multiple ending repeat icon but you don't have to enter any number in the target measure box.

The difference between the two icons is when they jump to the target measure. The backward repeat jumps at the end off the measure it is in, while the multiple ending repeat jumps when the playback gets to the beginning of the measure.

For more info, check out the online documentation (pages 170 -174).

Good luck

Jim Coull

leojbramble
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 10

Posted 10/7/2002 7:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You wrote:
...The first bar of the 1st ending uses the multiple ending repeat icon (far left in the dialog box) and the target measure is typically the first bar of the second ending.

The first bar of the second ending also uses the multiple ending repeat icon but you don't have to enter any number in the target measure box....

Thanks much. Actually, the multiple ending icon is at the far RIGHT, at least in PrintMusic. Perhaps it's different in Finale, because the pages you reference for the on-line documentation don't correspond to the PrintMusic documentation. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 10/7/2002 8:20 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joel,

My mistake, it is on the far right. However, the page cited was from PrintMusic 2001 (Mac version), so the PC documentation must have different page numbers.

Jim Coull