Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Playback problems  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

[email protected]
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit mitchmanthe@mitchmanthe.net's website.Send a Private Message to mitchmanthe@mitchmanthe.netAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2002
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/10/2002 8:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just found my problem. I only have this problem if I have sustain on for the piano part. Once I set sustain to zero for the piano, all notes play just fine. Is this a problem or should I just learn how to play piano without the sustain pedal?? ;-)

Mitch

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 11/11/2002 12:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mitch,

You are having a polyphony problem. Your score is exceeding the number of voices your MIDI sound module is capable of handling. When you have the piano sustaining notes, the number of voices going to your MIDI playback in increased drastically. For example, you have a four note chord, quarter notes repeated four times, on the French horn. On a simple horn sample that would use four MIDI voices for each quarter note chord, and each would end as the next began.
If we put those same chords on the piano with sustain, the voices of the first quarter note chord are still playing when the second chord is struck. Then both of those are decaying, but still there when the third chord is struck. By the time the fourth chord is struck, you could have a total of 16 voices going to your MIDI system. Add to that the fact that many instrument samples use more than one voice to produce a single note. When most synths find they are required to exceed their maximum polyphony (commonly 28 notes/voices) they compensate by dropping the oldest ones first. Most also establish a pecking order in that channel 10 (percussion) often gets first priority followed by channels 1, 2, 3, etc. in order.

Here are a couple of things to try. Put your piano on channel 1. Then assign channels to your other instruments according to the number of notes involved and how much they are sustained, assigning the highest numbered channels to the least complex parts.

Dick

http://www.ambassadormusic.com