Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > measure numbers - a can of worms?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

gregory
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gregoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 47

Posted 12/28/2002 2:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would like to have some ideas as to the construction of measure number regions.

I am especially interested in "professional editions" type information, but at the same time, this is a subject that is especially designed for making a musicians life easier !!!

1 : should partial measures at the beginning of a piece be numbered?

2 : when there are second endings, do the second endings begin with the same measure number as the first ending? If so,
A : are all measures under the first and second endings numbered?
a1 : how to distinguish them. (do the second endings then take a "bis" ending throughout?
B : if the first ending has more measures than the second ending, does the continuing section start its numbering as of the last measure of the first ending or the second ending?

3 : when there are "DC al §" or "DS" are the measure numbers considered as continuing from the area one was, or should we just assume that a measure once numbered IS numbered.

4 : is a "CODA" numbered, if so, from what point does it take its measure numbers? is it from the last written number of the piece; or is it from the "TO CODA" measure?

Of course to avoid all doubts, I suppose I could use "Coda's method, where a "measure" is a measure -- even when it is not!

Thanx for the feedback (and now i understand the advantages of illogical rehearsal letters! )

Gregory

"I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter." -- Blaise Pascal

Dan Powers
Registered Member

Click to send Dan Powers email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan PowersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1343

Posted 12/28/2002 5:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>1 : should partial measures at
>the beginning of a piece be
>numbered?

No

>2 : when there are second
>endings, do the second endings
>begin with the same measure
>number as the first ending?
>If so,
>A : are all measures under the
>first and second endings
>numbered?
>a1 : how to distinguish them.
>(do the second endings then
>take a "bis" ending
>throughout?
>B : if the first ending has
>more measures than the second
>ending, does the continuing
>section start its numbering as
>of the last measure of the
>first ending or the second
>ending?

There is some disagreement about this. Some publishers just number the measures in the second ending with the same numbers as the first ending, often adding a modifier such as "a" (e.g., 24a, 25a, etc.). Others number them sequentially as if there were no repeat sign.

>3 : when there are "DC al §"
>or "DS" are the measure
>numbers considered as
>continuing from the area one
>was, or should we just assume
>that a measure once numbered
>IS numbered.
>4 : is a "CODA" numbered, if
>so, from what point does it
>take its measure numbers? is
>it from the last written
>number of the piece; or is it
>from the "TO CODA" measure?

Again, publishers have different ways of dealing with this. Personally, I find it easiest to number measures sequentially throughout, although I might make an exception in the case of 1st/2nd endings as I described above.

Dan Powers
www.swanswingpress.com