Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How can I trasncribe chant ?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ridenhour
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ridenhourAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 4

Posted 4/22/2003 7:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was wondering how one would transcribe chant in Finale ? This would involve regular notation but without measures. I do not know how to create a score without measures.

Thanks

airfieldmusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit airfieldmusic's website.Send a Private Message to airfieldmusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 218

Posted 4/22/2003 8:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One way to do it is to use a time signature which allows you to easily enter the notes you want. You might have to change time signatures within the piece as necessary. After you have entered the notes, use the Staff Tool, double click the box on the clef sign, then in the resulting Staff Attributes menu uncheck the items which you do not want to display, such as barlines and time signatures.

Reed

Martin Markvoll
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Martin Markvoll's website.Send a Private Message to Martin MarkvollAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 264

Posted 4/22/2003 8:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My suggestion would be to write the music with measures and hide the bar lines later. Then you would probably want to change the time signature every now and then. When you are done you select the Measure Tool, highlight all your measures. You will then be able to choose from options like "always hide time signature" and "invisible bar lines".

I use this method when writing cadenzas in solo literature.

Regards, Martin M

a dude
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to a dudeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2002
Total Posts : 626

Posted 4/22/2003 10:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Reed and Martin make valid points. One thing to be aware of, though, is that if you want to number your "measures," you'll have to do some fudging.

Al

airfieldmusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit airfieldmusic's website.Send a Private Message to airfieldmusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 4/22/2003 10:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/22/2003 3:25:00 PM, Al LaBreve wrote:
>One thing to be aware
>of, though, is that if you
>want to number your
>"measures," you'll have to do
>some fudging.
>
>Al

Hello Al,

If the music is to be written without measures, why would there be a need to number them? If the numbers are for rehearsal marks, they could be included, but what sort of "fudging" would be necessary? For rehearsal marks, other methods could be used rather than measure numbers. I'm not understanding something here. Just curious.

Reed

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/22/2003 7:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If the numbers are for rehearsal marks, they could be included, but what sort of "fudging" would be necessary?

Well, first of all you're right in that in chant notation it would be just as easy to not show measure numbers at all and use text expressions for rehearsal marks.

My comment was really a response to Martin's statement about notating cadenzas. Measure numbers would likely be more of an issue in that context than in chant.

But the main idea is still the same: If you're going to "trick" Finale into not showing barlines at all, or if you're going to have mixed meters like in this thread, you're going to have to adjust the measure numbers. If the reader sees the measure numbers as Finale "thinks" they are, rather than as they should appear, there will likely be some confusion.

(As there probably is after that awkward explanation...)

Al

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 4/22/2003 9:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gary,

Been listening to Paul "Call Me Al" Simon lately or are you just confusing your alias(es)? ;-)

Jim Coull

Jon Delfin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jon DelfinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 783

Posted 4/23/2003 2:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe he just wasn't finished with his post.

Although I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

Always remember to check the manual.

Ale! Pass the ale!

Al Gore for President.

All righty then.

Al dente is my preferred pasta texture.

All together now: The first ten years are the hardest.

airfieldmusic
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 4/23/2003 3:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Al and/or Gary.

Now I understand, don't I?

Al

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 4/23/2003 5:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oops.

Well, that's what happens when you try to reply to a post at one in the morning...

=8-O

a dude
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to a dudeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2002

Posted 4/23/2003 5:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm...

guser
Registered Member

Click to send guser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to guserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 661

Posted 4/23/2003 7:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Al -- Your cover blown. Extreme danger. Execute Plan F. Bonne chance. Out.

a dude
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2002

Posted 4/23/2003 10:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Al? Al who? Never heard of him. 'Tweren't me. Nope. Uh-uh. I was at 7-11 and I have the receipts to prove it.

guser
Registered Member

Click to send guser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to guserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 661

Posted 4/23/2003 11:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Al -- Pick up you new passport and papers at the drop site. Your new identity will be Mick S. O'Liddion.

Tim Rowland
...Rowland...Rowland, though the streams are...

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Tim Rowland's website.Send a Private Message to Tim RowlandAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 1250

Posted 4/23/2003 4:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I seem to remember Al and Gary having an argument in a thread a while back...interesting concept!

Anon635428

GT
It was some other guy.

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 4/23/2003 6:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I seem to remember Al and Gary having an argument in a thread a while back...interesting concept!

I don't think that I ever sunk that low, but I have definitely been known to have some pretty animated conversations with myselves. Usually in the privacy of my car, though.

And to think that this all started just because I was politely trying to answer Reed's question.

>8-P

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 4/23/2003 9:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>> I have definitely been known to have some pretty animated conversations with myselves.

Just how many of you are there, anyway??? ;-)

Jim Coull

GT
It was some other guy.

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 4/24/2003 2:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hell, I don't know. On a good day, I can sing 8-part Gabrielli canzonas with myself, and still have voices left over to conduct.

;-)

airfieldmusic
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 4/24/2003 3:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/23/2003 11:08:00 PM, Gary Tomassetti wrote:

>
>And to think that this all
>started just because I was
>politely trying to answer
>Reed's question.

Actually, it was Lane's question, remember the top of the thread? And Lane hasn't even been back yet to benefit from all this wisdom!

Reed

And now for a question about TG Tools....