Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > One more problem/question  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

swingband2000
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to swingband2000AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 10

Posted 9/20/2003 8:13 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One last thing I need to know:

I know how to automatically place consecutive page numbers appear on extracted parts, but is there also a way to have the name of the instrument added to the page number automatically?

For example, is it possible to make the following appear:
"Alto Sax 1, page 2" or something similar?

Thanks again.

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 9/20/2003 10:07 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Alan:

Well, I'm not sure if you could have this appear automatically on the extracted parts, but if you simply edit one page number in the extracted part, it will appear that way on all the pages.

(I haven't installed 2004 yet, but I'm told there's a text tool bug; you'll have to use the Text> Edit Text command.)

Cheers,

Gary

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 9/20/2003 12:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's how I do it:
In the score before extracting parts, create a text
box containing the insert [File Name]. I usually have
one on page 1 on the left opposite the composers
name, the same size as the composers name, and
another on all pages from page 2 onwards at the top
centre, aligned with the page number, the same size
as the page number. When I extract parts I create a
folder to keep these parts separate from any others,
and set Finale to automatically generate a file name
with only %s (ie file or group name). When parts are
extracted, the file name, which is the staff or group
name goes automatically to the places where the text
box was created.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 9/20/2003 12:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter,

Why don't you use the "Create Staff or Group Names Header" in the Page Options dialog box (File Menu > Extract Parts > click on the Options button at the bottom > Page Options) for the part name on the first page?

Also, the method you described of getting the part names on the following pages works great for us Mac users, but PC users have to contend with those pesky file name extensions, so I've been told. IOW, they get a page 2 header that reads something like "1st Trumpet.MUS, page 3."

Jim Coull

If you are getting this done correctly on a PC instead of a Mac, I apologize in advance. However, this subject has come up a number of times and every time that I gave the same advice you did, I go chewed out for being a Mac guy posting on the Windows side!! ;-)

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 9/20/2003 4:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dammit, Jim, where does a Mac guy get off posting on the Windows side???

(Just wanted you to feel at home...)

swingband2000
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to swingband2000AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 10

Posted 9/20/2003 5:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you were addressing your reply to me specifically (I'm not quite sure:), I do have the instrument name set to appear on the top left of page one, but on the following pages I would like to have the instrument name appear, along with the page number.

I will try all of your suggestions and see which ones I can get to work. With some of the peculiar bugs that are apparent (at least in my installation of 2004), it may take some workarounds to come up with something that works in my situation.

One question though: In the setting to tell Finale to generate part names, what does all the % signs mean? I'm not much on programming lingo, but if you could explain it briefly, I'll try to absorb what you are talking about. And also please explain how to incorporate the % sign to list the instrument/part name.

Thanks for all of you taking time to help me out on this mess.:)

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 9/20/2003 9:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 9/20/2003 9:55:00 PM, Alan Glasscock wrote:
>If you were addressing your
>reply to me specifically (I'm
>not quite sure:), I do have
>the instrument name set to
>appear on the top left of page
>one, but on the following
>pages I would like to have the
>instrument name appear, along
>with the page number.
>
>I will try all of your
>suggestions and see which ones
>I can get to work. With some
>of the peculiar bugs that are
>apparent (at least in my
>installation of 2004), it may
>take some workarounds to come
>up with something that works
>in my situation.

Alan,

In the past I tried various automatic methods to get what I wanted on subsequent pages, and finally decided to have numbers placed automatically at the bottom center and type in the instrument and an abbreviation of the title in the upper right of page 2. Then copy that text to page 3 and subsequent pages if there are any. You may want something different, but that was the only way I could get what I wanted.

>One question though: In the
>setting to tell Finale to
>generate part names, what does
>all the % signs mean? I'm not
>much on programming lingo, but
>if you could explain it
>briefly, I'll try to absorb
>what you are talking about.
>And also please explain how to
>incorporate the % sign to list
>the instrument/part name.

Those codes are explained on the Extract Parts pop-up screen. At least they are in 2003. I've un-installed 2004, so am assuming they appear there as well.

(Note to Jim and Gary: I seem to recall that Apple used to promote their system as; "Macintosh: the computer-like device for the dim-witted." But I could be wrong.)

;o)

Dick
http://www.ambassadormusic.com

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 9/21/2003 2:30 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gary and Dick,

Thanks guys. As Paul Simon said, "Gee but it's great to be back home, home is where I want to be..." I knew I count on my friends to make me feel welcome again. ;-)

Jim Coull

Dick Brodfuehrer

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 9/21/2003 5:41 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 9/21/2003 6:30:00 AM, Jim Coull wrote:
>Gary and Dick,
>
>Thanks guys. As Paul Simon
>said, "Gee but it's great to
>be back home, home is where I
>want to be..." I knew I count
>on my friends to make me feel
>welcome again. ;-)
>
>Jim Coull

You aren't the only one that can quote obscure lyrics! As Big Bill Broonzy said, "Hey hey, hey hey, baby hey. Hey hey, hey hey, baby hey." I think that says it rather nicely.

:oP

Dick

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/21/2003 6:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

>(Note to Jim and Gary: I seem to recall
>that Apple used to promote their system
>as; "Macintosh: the computer-like device
>for the dim-witted." But I could be
>wrong.)

if by that they mean that macs are reliable, easy to
use, don't require hours of fiddling about to install
peripherals, don't require endless re-starts to install
even the simplest printer driver, don't require
intimate knowledge of the physical architecture
inside the machine that needs to be fixed and re-
built regularly, has an operating system with less
than 10,000 documented bugs, works perfectly
straight out of the box, etc, etc, then I guess they
were right and I am happy to be considered dim-
witted in that respect.

(I have been using macs since 1989, and currently
we have 6 running in the office and 2 at home. i have
never had any mechanical breakdown of any
hardware. )
Thank you apple for making it easy for us

Peter

Peter West
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/21/2003 6:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 9/20/2003 4:43:00 PM, Jim Coull wrote:
>Peter,
>
>Why don't you use the "Create
>Staff or Group Names Header"
>in the Page Options dialog box
>(File Menu > Extract Parts >
>click on the Options button at
>the bottom > Page Options) for
>the part name on the first
>page?
>
>Also, the method you described
>of getting the part names on
>the following pages works
>great for us Mac users, but PC
>users have to contend with
>those pesky file name
>extensions, so I've been told.
>IOW, they get a page 2 header
>that reads something like "1st
>Trumpet.MUS, page 3."
>
>Jim Coull
>
Hi jim

for 2 reasons:
1. it doesn't allow for centred text blocks, and I
always have instrument names centred on pages 2+
2. It only allows one format, and I have left aligned
14 pt fixed instrument names on page 1, and centre
aligned 12 pt fixed on page 2+.

I have set up as I describe in my score template, so
when i extract parts the instrument name goes
exactly in the right place at the right size on every
page of all parts without further editing.

Peter

GT
It was some other guy.

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 9/21/2003 6:42 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As Big Bill Broonzy said, "Hey hey, hey hey, baby hey. Hey hey, hey hey, baby hey." I think that says it rather nicely.

I myself could never say it better than did Cannibal and The Headhunters:

"I said a na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na na."

Peter:

As I've said many times before, I use both Mac and PC, depending on the project. I truly don't care which OS I'm using, as long as I can get my work done. To me, the computer and the OS are simply tools, no more, no less.

That said, I know WAY more about putzing around below the surface of Windows than I do of the Mac OS. (This could possibly be because I've had so many fewer problems with Mac OS that I've never needed to learn about much below the desktop.)

Cheers,

Gary

Peter West
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/21/2003 10:55 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 9/21/2003 10:42:00 AM, Gary Tomassetti wrote:

>Peter:
>
>As I've said many times
>before, I use both Mac and PC,
>depending on the project. I
>truly don't care which OS I'm
>using, as long as I can get my
>work done. To me, the computer
>and the OS are simply tools,
>no more, no less.
>

I totally agree. In all fairness, I have never used a pc
myself, nor windows, but I have never known anyone
who does that is happy with it!!

Peter

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 9/21/2003 11:13 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter,

for 2 reasons:
1. it doesn't allow for centred text blocks, and I always have instrument names centred on pages 2+

I was just inquiring about the page one names in my post. I realize that page 2+ headers need to be set up as you described earlier.

2. It only allows one format, and I have left aligned 14 pt fixed instrument names on page 1, and centre aligned 12 pt fixed on page 2+.

Unless I am missing something here, the staff name headers function does exactly what you want on page 1. I am not trying to get you to change habits and if you already have your templates, there's no need to change them. However, it seems to me that you are duplicating a process that Finale already has in place, namely, page 1 instrument name headers. Of course, you still have to make the page 2+ headers.

Jim Coull

Dick Brodfuehrer

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 9/21/2003 12:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 9/21/2003 2:55:00 PM, Peter West wrote:
>I totally agree. In all fairness, I have
>never used a pc
>myself, nor windows, but I have never
>known anyone
>who does that is happy with it!!

You have met one now. But, then, I've been using personal computers since before the first DOS based machines were introduced. I don't claim to be an expert, but that long experience does tend to lend a bit of a comfort factor. My first one used $.79 audio cassettes for all programs and data. There was no internal disk and total memory was something like 8KB.

Dick

Peter West
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/22/2003 4:12 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 9/21/2003 3:13:00 PM, Jim Coull wrote:
>Peter,
>
>for 2 reasons:
>1. it doesn't allow for
>centred text blocks, and I
>always have instrument names
>centred on pages 2+
>
>I was just inquiring about the
>page one names in my post. I
>realize that page 2+ headers