Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > What is the way to import a complete MIDI sequence (song) from an external keyboard?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Geno
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GenoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 8

Posted 10/13/2003 8:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello folks,

I'm producing an album to raise funds to help care for children orphaned by AIDS in Africa.  I'm under the gun to prepare to go to Kenya soon.  I've hired an arranger to work on the project.  NOW, I've found out his Finale experience is limited while I've been expecting him to email some MIDI files to me for awhile.  Finale is the software he uses (somewhat).  But mostly, he basically composes (sequences) everything on his MIDI keyboard (instrument).  Then he has been going to a studio to work from there.

I believe there is a way for him to play his sequence from the keyboard into Finale and go from there.  He is having some problems and I need to help solve them immediately OR I'm in big trouble.

I am extremely computer and MIDI savvy - just not a Finale user myself.  I've helped him get his rig connected.  He's been able to play one note at a time and get a note on the staff and through his speakers.

How can he get a whole sequence into Finale?  Or does he just have to play it all in directly?

Anyone that can/will help with this issue will receive unending gratitude.

Thanks.

Regards.

Craig Keyes
Charts-R-Us

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 311

Posted 10/13/2003 9:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Geno:

The good news is Finale can read any (.mid) MIDI file directly. If you have your arrangers MIDI tracks saved on disk, just open them in Finale.

The bad news may be that the MIDI tracks will need editing to look good as written notation. I have not worked this way before, but I'm sure other users can advise on how to clean-up the MIDI notation for print out if that is your goal.

Good Luck.

F2004a/TGTOOLS/XPHOME

"Surely you can't be serious." 
"Yes I am serious...and don't call me Shirley."

Geno
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GenoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/13/2003 9:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the response.
The MIDI information only exists in his keyboard.  He has the keyboard connected through a MidiMan port.  Is there a way, and I will be simple in my thinking here, for him to press "record" in Finale and press "play" on his keyboard to get the whole sequence.
He does not have another way, other than a trip to a recording studio that can help him, to get the MIDI into a/the computer.  If he had the MIDI file on a computer disk he could email the MIDI file to me and I would be happy.
Thanks again.
Regards.

Craig Keyes
Charts-R-Us

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002

Posted 10/13/2003 9:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Although I'm not an expert in this area, I would say yes. Go to MIDI menu >> MIDI setup >> Advanced and assign your MIDI input device and MIDI channels.
I have attached the MIDI chapter from the 2004 manual. Hope this helps.

F2004a/TGTOOLS/XPHOME

File Attachment :
MIDITool.pdf   485KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 715 time(s).

Geno
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/13/2003 10:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Craig,

You've got me on the right track, I believe. Would you be able to send me the section on Hyperscribe? It seems that "Transcription Mode" is what I need. The link in the PDF made an attempt to download the section from Finale's site, but it failed.

Thanks, Craig. My blood pressure is now lower again because of your thoughtfulness. It's good to know the good guys are still out there.

Regards.

"You can call me anything, but please don't call late for dinner."

Craig Keyes
Charts-R-Us

Date Joined Nov 2002

Posted 10/13/2003 10:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here are the other chapters you may need.

F2004a/TGTOOLS/XPHOME

File Attachment :
MIDIMenu.pdf   359KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 1040 time(s).

File Attachment :
HyperScribe.pdf   503KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 2506 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/13/2003 10:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Geno,

Does your friend's keyboard have a disk drive? If he is able to save the songs as General MIDI files to a floppy, you'll save a lot of time and trouble.

Zuill

Post Edited (Zuill) : 10/14/2003 3:31:13 AM GMT

Geno
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/13/2003 10:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Craig and Zuill,

You guys are great! Thanks for the add'l chapters, Craig. Zuill, I've left a message for him. Reading between his lines of communication, I think he does not have a drive or he would have offered that as an alternative. But, maybe...

I don't know if there's a monitor on this forum, but I want to let the Finale people know that it's a good forum and it's best when people like Craig and Zuill are around. Give them a big discount on their next purchase!

Thanks, again.

Regards.

Thimple
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ThimpleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2002

Posted 10/13/2003 11:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Geno said...
Craig and Zuill,

You guys are great! Thanks for the add'l chapters, Craig. Zuill, I've left a message for him. Reading between his lines of communication, I think he does not have a drive or he would have offered that as an alternative. But, maybe...

I don't know if there's a monitor on this forum, but I want to let the Finale people know that it's a good forum and it's best when people like Craig and Zuill are around. Give them a big discount on their next purchase!

Thanks, again.

Regards.
It already sounds like the 'arranger' mentioned in the first post has had a generous discount on his Finale - the "5 finger discount". I can't think why else he doesn't have the documentation on his computer - or even know how to use Finale (surely he wouldn't have bought Finale to not use it?). Anyone else a bit sus?

Thim Plentry

Geno
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/13/2003 11:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Thim,

I suppose the society of a forum is like society in general. The other guys were helpful. I've noted on other threads that some people just want to vent some sort of pent up anger. You seem to want to show your mean streak. The only reason I am communicating with you is that I really dislike behaviour from the 'dark side' of life, even though I've been taught to love you as a person.

I guess you are so technically good at what you do that you don't understand it when someone has trouble. It's obvious to me that you could use some help at a different kind of forum.

Let me illuminate the situation a little more:

The 'arranger' is an arranger indeed. I've got a sample CD from him with vocal arrangements that would impress anyone - let me say any music PROFESSIONAL.

It so happens that I'm working on a Gospel project. He came highly recommend by my friends at ARS Recording (see www.arsrecording.com and check their client list). He is the Choir Director at a church. Now, unless you have something against Christian musicians that are a little weak technically, BACKOFF.

He DOES have the documentation. And just like others, he needs some help with the interpretation.

Now, to be helpful, I downloaded the demo version that DOES NOT come with any docs. By the way, he and I are almost 2,000 miles apart. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

I can only hope that your music is as perfect as you are. But with the current expression of your spirit, I tend to believe your music is not reaching any light.

I'll say a few words for you in my prayers tonight.

God Bless you!

Regards.

Geno
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/13/2003 11:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Any other reader,

Sorry. With a new AIDS orphan somewhere in the world every 14 seconds, I'm feeling a little pressure to get this project out. I haven't the time nor patience for anything that is not well-intended.

It's not my gig, but check out what Bono and others have been up to at: www.data.org

Thanks again to all the caring people.

Regards.

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 10/14/2003 2:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Geno,

A few words of advice from the Chief Old Geezer ---

Accept and appreciate the comments that are helpful, and ignore those that are not. You will find your stay on this earth much more enjoyable.

We have all faced deadlines --- some of our own making, and some thrust on us. Relax, take it step by step, and learn from it so you don't get into the same bind the next time. The key word there is "relax!"

And finally, ease up on the "Holier than thou" attitude and do less boasting about the loftiness of your purpose. That doesn't encourage anyone to help you, and may just discourage some.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Geno
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/14/2003 3:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear C.O.G.

Thank you for your support and words of wisdom. I understand what you are saying. If we could only have a cup of coffee together.

I must say that the one thing I will do is stick to the work at hand, after my last comments herein.

In my searching through the forum earlier, I found that there were others who were not kind to those who needed help with their use of Finale. Then, I encountered the same bad attitude on the part of one individual while others were kind enough to help me. I can't help but wonder why the negative ones are here. I have a hunch that Thimple would not like someone to make up a negative story about him.

Believe it or not, I am a very relaxed individual. What you do not know, is who I really am or how I got to be me. It is unfortunate that there is so much interpretation based on so few words.

Deadline or not, I just prefer to interact with well-intended and thoughtful people. For those I encounter, I am grateful. When someone makes up a lie, or implies something untruthful, I will call them on it. If I am to tolerate them, then they can tolerate me a little. It's been the times I have be corrected by someone who is well-intended that I have learned the most.

I was in a bind because someone else thought they could do something they hadn't tried. That's all.

I am no more or less Holy than anyone - but what's right is right and what is wrong is wrong. Perhaps I said a few words that sounded like someone else you know who really thinks they are Holy. Last time I checked, the number of Holy people is fairly small. You know, I was not being sarcastic about praying and the wish for God's blessings. These are things that I truly believe are helpful. If they are not wanted, they do not have to be received.

I am not boasting about anything. Since you're an old geezer, in fact the Chief Old Geezer, you may remember an old TV Western starring Walter Brennan. I don't know the name of the show, but he played an old gunslinger who was a good guy that somehow always ended up to stop the bad (and much younger) guys. At the end of each show, when people told him what good gunslinger he was, he would say "Yes, I am. No brag, just fact." Well, C.O.G. I try to be like that - just deal with the facts. I'm not bragging at all. I haven't done enough - and really can't imagine ever doing enough to brag about. Bragging is not in me. But, you really couldn't know that by the glimpse here.

The reality is that there are many people who have served and will serve much better than I. I'm just trying to do my part. I believe we all are here to do our individual parts. I have a strong feeling that you know what I mean.

If you think the purpose is lofty, fine. I think it's a matter of life and death. I've been with several people while they left this Earth. It's a thing that I cannot describe.

As far as encouragement, I want to encourage everyone to better...and I want the courage to be better. I completely trust that my words will resonate with anyone singing the same song of human dignity and respect. I will not encourage any who are not well-intended. Not everything is acceptable.

I hope to offend only the offenders, and then only as a whack, or a kick, or a poke (nice book).

My sincere apologies to everyone else.

Regards.

Thimple
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ThimpleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2002

Posted 10/14/2003 4:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Geno said...
Hello Thim,

I suppose the society of a forum is like society in general. The other guys were helpful. I've noted on other threads that some people just want to vent some sort of pent up anger. You seem to want to show your mean streak. The only reason I am communicating with you is that I really dislike behaviour from the 'dark side' of life, even though I've been taught to love you as a person.

I guess you are so technically good at what you do that you don't understand it when someone has trouble. It's obvious to me that you could use some help at a different kind of forum.

Geno,

I'm very sorry if this came across the wrong way. If anything, I was specifically annoyed at Craig for uploading copyrighted material to non-registered users. I see that 7 people have already download the first file - that could be 6 other people with an illegal and now partially documented version. I have no doubts about your good intentions, but felt Craig jump in too quickly with his good intentions without thinking about the legalities of it. That's all.

Thim Plentry

Geno
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/14/2003 12:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Thim,

Thank you for clarifying your intentions for me. I rushed to conclusions, as I felt you had. I am sorry for this, as well.

I also take issue with theft. My arranger has assurred me that he is registered (I cared to ask). My problem is that I was trying to work from the demo version in order to help him.

I actually have been a software developer. I've done some consulting in the field. And I wince whenever someone wants to 'borrow' software. But "no" is "no". Fortunately, many companies do have demo or trial versions. For others, there is shareware.

I have noted that the documentation does not come with the demo version. If I have caused someone to do something inappropriate, I am sorry.

I do not know whether the company's choice to exclude the documentation is based on security or download convenience. My opinion is that some kind of documentation will help people better evaluate the product. Until I got educated a little, I would not have purchased Finale, especially after being confused about how to work the demo. I would say I was like a 5 year-old being allowed to test drive a Ferrari. Yikes! When something appears more complicated than necessary, I gravitate to something I can deal with efficiently and effectively. Now that I know a little about how to work the thing, Finale is on my wish list. It's really a good program for charts.

I use Avid Express DV in my video work. It is also a robust application. I could not use it without access to the docs. In their case, Avid chose to use a USB Security Token (dongle) to prevent unauthorized use. And now, Microsoft requires product activation. So, it seems progress is being made.

Well, I'm getting talkative again.

Thim, I appreciate your last post and where you are coming from. I promise not to whack you anymore.

Thanks to everyone who participated. I hope that I can provide some help in return sometime.

Regards,

Geno