Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Poll - Limiting forum membership  Forum Quick Jump

Should forum membership be limited?
Yes, as a legitimate user I would like to see membership limited. - 71.0%
No, I want all the scum-bag thieves to have access. - 29.0%

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
41 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 11/27/2003 9:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's another option to put into the pot:

If the forum had a separate section for each application rather than each platform, then anyone can read any forum, but posts can only be made by people who have paid for and registered a specific application. eg. I am a registered user of Finale, so I feel qualified to discuss it, and therefore should be able to. I am not a registered user of any of the cut down versions, so i cannot discuss how to use, eg. Guitar. This would open up a forum for every software, including a publically accessible one for notepad.

We would then not get people trying to answer (eg) Finale questions who only use Guitar, and avoid such replies as "I don't use Finale but..." which is totally useless most of the time (though not always).

There could then also be a public forum for non users who want to ask about the products, perhaps before they commit to buying. In this arrangement registered users replying in the public forums (fora?) would have a better idea of who was asking the questions.

This does raise another issue which I have seen raised in the Apple forum: if a person is using an old version, should they be considered to be registered users in the fully accepted sense? for example, if someone is still using Finale 98, then they have not supported MakeMusic by upgrading for 5 years. Do they then qualify for free tech support on the forum that is provided free by the company that they are not continuously supporting? I'm not offering a judgement on this one as I know it will be contentious. I'm interested to hear views (and reasons!)

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 11/27/2003 10:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You have a point, Peter, but sometimes questions do apply to all platforms, or are non-specific. I wouldn't like to see the forums fragmented into small groups, as I sometimes get ideas when reading an answer to a PrintMusic question, or whatever.
The only new division I'd like to see is a forum devoted to discussions about music and notation in general. I'm picking up a lot of useful information from reading discussions among professional musicians and engravers.
The pirates here have only been a minor irritant so far, but the problem could be nipped in the bud, as far as the forums are concerned, by permitting only those who have registered their product with MakeMusic to write posts. Let anyone else read them--so they see what they're missing.

Ron
Finale 2004a, W98 SE

Barbara B.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 263

Posted 11/27/2003 10:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>if someone is still using Finale 98, then they have not supported MakeMusic by upgrading for 5 years. Do they then qualify for free tech support on the forum that is provided free by the company that they are not continuously supporting?

Well, that's an interesting point, but I would consider this--they still get free tech support by phone, so which way is saving the company more money--to force them call makemusic and tie up a tech's time, or to let them get their questions answered here?

Frankly, anyone who's still using 98 probably doesn't have a lot of program-specific questions left by now, and general notation questions/answers seem to me to be of potential value to anyone.

B K
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to B KAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 165

Posted 11/27/2003 2:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh yes, anybody not willing to finance Rhymer, Groovy-playback-groove, variety of third party plug in vendors and/or obscure stuff I never heard anybody is using (like Open Music) should be banned from internet until having paid for all the upgrades in between!

Oh yes!

Pete Sawchuk
This Spacebar For Rent

Click to send Pete Sawchuk email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pete SawchukAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 670

Posted 11/27/2003 2:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1. Keep the structure of these forums as is; don't splinter into different Finale "flavors", but...

2. Do require posters to list what PROGRAM, VERSION, PLATFORM & OPERATING SYSTEM they're using [just for clarity, not for excluding users of older versions who haven't updated].

3. Make forums read-only for non-registered users.

4. Happy Thanksgiving [US] to all!

Pete Sawchuk
Finale 2003a in Mac OS 9.2.2
Otherwise, Mac OSX 10.3

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gareth GreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 2943

Posted 11/28/2003 9:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Presumably those people who argue against restricting forum access (or at least posting access) to registered users have been reading Scott's postings with interest ....... ?

G.

Gareth J. Green

Fin2003a
WinME

"Trumpet players have no use for musicianship; it's too much like having a conscience"

Al Newman
Registered Member

Click to send Al Newman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Al NewmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 84

Posted 11/28/2003 1:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gareth,

I have come to the following conclusions after seeing Scott's postings:

1.  The forums should be open to all non-registered users in a read only format, and the ability to post messages should be limited to registered members only.

2.  Abusers such as Scott, whether they are registered or non-registered, should be ignored and not replied to until they can communicate with others on a level that is above some of my more immature middle school students.

Having a rough sense of humor or using obsenities is not a crime.  It is a matter of free speech that is protected by our constitution even if it displays a person's poor taste, questionable judgement, immaturity, lack of conscience, ignorance, rudeness, or lack of communications skills.  Whether Scott has yet to learn that there is a proper time and place for all types of speech is his own personal problem and not my concern.  What disturbs me about Scott's postings is his total disregard for the laws that protect our intelectual properties. 
     He is a felon who has publicly admitted his crimes on this forum.  If he believes that the laws in this matter are unjust, it is his civic duty to use all legal means to change them.  There are all sorts of ways to seek redress including discussion, lawful protest, filing suit in the courts, and changing the laws through bills in the legislatures.  His current behaviors and statements could not even be given the credibility due the practitioners of civil disobedience as a method of protest.  His most recent actions certainly do not warrant it.  In short, he is behaving like a common thief with a penchant for rudeness and vulgarity.  He is the type of person that most of us would not wish to do business with.  I pity him if he is under the mistaken impression that any of us ever will until he changes his ways. 

Al Newman

Finale 2004a
Win 98SE

BA
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BAAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2001
Total Posts : 53

Posted 11/28/2003 2:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In regard to SCOTT, I think the best thing that everyone can do right now is totally avoid his posts.  Please continue to just ignore his latest obnoxious remarks.  Also, I really appreciate this forum a lot. I have learned from numerous posts over the years.  I think ALL registered users (any Finale version) should have access to the forum partly because it helps to know if you do want to upgrade.  I have skipped upgrades until the features I needed were addressed.  Even though my 2004a upgrade works well for me, I am really thankful for the many people that share their problems, glitches, and bugs.  It benefits all of us.  I am really impressed with the way people on this forum seem to be eager to help everyone no matter what level of experience they have.  Scott seems to thrive on drawing attention to himself.  He does not deserve the attention just our pity. 

Finale 2004a, Win XP Pro, HP Pav 5170, P4, 2.0, 512 RAM

Charlie Barker
Finale 2007 user

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charlie BarkerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 8

Posted 11/28/2003 2:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem is now that a mistrust has been created on the forum - for me at least.

Looking at Scott's stylistic way of writing I believe that new member "intotheforest" is Scott under another pseudonym.

I could be wrong, but how can we tell with unrestricted access to the forum?

Charlie Barker

BA
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BAAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2001
Total Posts : 53

Posted 11/28/2003 4:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If SCOTT succeeds in fooling everyone, I am really not going to sweat it too much.  Sure, it is annoying, and I would do anything I could to stop him, but if INTOTHEFOREST is Scott, at least he has cleaned up his language and is putting on a better act.  I don't know if we can ever really know.  What is really bad is when someone is so arrogant and so blatant to admit what he is doing and have no conscience, that is really annoying and wrong.  If Scott does come "out of the forest," let's just cut him out of our conversations and help.  The bottom line is don't let it ruin your overall trust in the forum.  Have a great holiday!

Finale 2004a, Win XP Pro, HP Pav 5170, P4, 2.0, 512 RAM

habibbijan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit habibbijan's website.Send a Private Message to habibbijanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 218

Posted 11/28/2003 11:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Without a doubt, forum access should be limited to read-only for guests. While I am only a Finale user, I took a look at the Sibelius forums, and they are set up in this manner (restricted guest access). To sign up for posting access, you must register with your valid user license. This helps keep out the varmints.

"Writing music with theory in mind is like wearing underwear that's too tight. It's restricting!"

B K
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to B KAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 165

Posted 11/29/2003 12:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
habibbijan said...
Without a doubt, forum access should be limited to read-only for guests. While I am only a Finale user, I took a look at the Sibelius forums, and they are set up in this manner (restricted guest access). To sign up for posting access, you must register with your valid user license. This helps keep out the varmints.

I hope you are not suggesting Finale imitating Sibelius?! freaked

habibbijan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit habibbijan's website.Send a Private Message to habibbijanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 218

Posted 11/29/2003 12:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Haha. Well, why not? In this regard, Finale isn't imitating Sibelius per se, but simply modeling forum privileges in a similar manner. I merely chose Sibelius as an example because it is a closely related program.

While we're at it, I would also like backwards compatibility (aka "the ability to open newer Finale documents in an older version of Finale"). I've never seen it in action, but I've heard that Sibelius has this option. And is it too much to ask for a hybrid installation disc? I recently bought a new Mac and am forced to continue my notation work on my aging PC (until the OSX upgrade anyway). Yes, I know that I can order a second installation disc for a different platform, but for $50? No thank you. Once again , Sibelius comes on a hybrid installation CD.

No, I am not a traitor. I believe that Finale is a superior program, and is my notation program of choice. I also believe that Finale could learn a lesson or two from Sibelius, including limited guest access to forums. Again I say, "why not?"

"Writing music with theory in mind is like wearing underwear that's too tight. It's restricting!"

Post Edited (habibbijan) : 11/29/2003 6:11:38 AM GMT

Pete Sawchuk
This Spacebar For Rent

Click to send Pete Sawchuk email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pete SawchukAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 670

Posted 11/29/2003 1:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charlie Barker said...
The problem is now that a mistrust has been created on the forum - for me at least.

The one element essential to a forum like this is trust. IMHO, if one legitimate poster/user feels mistrustful, it's time to go read-only for guests ASAP.

Pete Sawchuk
PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz w/ 23" Apple Cinema Display
Finale 2003a in Mac OS 9.2.2
Otherwise, Mac OSX 10.3.1

hughmckee
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to hughmckeeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2002
Total Posts : 35

Posted 11/29/2003 6:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Limit forum to registered users

redvette_ragtop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to redvette_ragtopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/30/2003 5:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1st, a solution for "Scott" and all other immature posters like him: I've discovered a great way to get rid of him until the System Admin blocks him. On any of his posts, look to the upper right-corner and click on the "Thumbs Down" icon. It will then prompt you to ignore any post by this guy. Then *voila*! None of his posts appear to you. Yea!!!

2nd, my vote: give rights to post to registered users only and read rights to anyone. Why? Other forums do this with success. If a student who doesn't own it but is using it in a lab and the lab monitor doesn't know the answer to a question, the lab monitor can either post to this forum or send an email to Tech Support and forward the answer to the student's email. It may take a little longer than if the student was the owner himself, but oh well, that's life.

Brad

Post Edited (redvette_ragtop) : 11/30/2003 10:12:09 AM GMT