Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Hiding some Rests  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

crisbastap
Registered Member

Click to send crisbastap email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to crisbastapAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 25

Posted 12/1/2003 11:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am using Finale 2003. In one staff, I used 3 different layers to indicate 3 different instruments that enter on different beats. There are more rests than I want to be showing, so I want to be able to hide some of them. The only utility that I can find that hides rests only hides all the rests in a given layer. This is not what I want. In Sibelius you can just right click on any object and select 'Hide' from the menu. Why is such a simple process so difficult in Finale? Or is it impossible? Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you.

Pete Sawchuk
This Spacebar For Rent

Click to send Pete Sawchuk email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pete SawchukAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 670

Posted 12/1/2003 11:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
crisbastap,

Don't despair. In Speedy Entry, clicking "H" will hide the presently selected note or rest. This one's as easy as [or easier than] in Sibelius!

Pete Sawchuk
PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz w/ 23" Apple Cinema Display
Finale 2003a in Mac OS 9.2.2
Otherwise, Mac OSX 10.3.1

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/1/2003 11:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In speedy entry, put the cursor on the note and press the letter "o". In simple, press the letter "h". You must be in the proper layer to work.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004a, Win 2000 or XP

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 12/2/2003 1:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
In speedy entry, put the cursor on the note and press the letter "o". In simple, press the letter "h". You must be in the proper layer to work.

Zuill

Actually, In Finale 2003, you can in Speedy Entry hide a note/rest with the the letter "O" key OR the letter "H" key.

I've always been using the letter "O" key, but new users might find it easier to remember the letter "H" key.

Peter

jzucker
Registered Member

Click to send jzucker email.Click to visit jzucker's website.Send a Private Message to jzuckerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 827

Posted 12/2/2003 8:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
the "h" key works in speedy entry for Finale 2004 as well

hughmckee
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to hughmckeeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2002
Total Posts : 35

Posted 12/3/2003 6:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
He needs to use "show active layers only"

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/3/2003 9:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not sure how "show active layers only" helps here, but I'm eager to know. Would you explain it further in another post?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004a, Win 2000 or XP

Pete Sawchuk
This Spacebar For Rent

Click to send Pete Sawchuk email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pete SawchukAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 670

Posted 12/4/2003 2:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hughmckee said...
He needs to use "show active layers only"

Zuill said...
I'm not sure how "show active layers only" helps here, but I'm eager to know.

One can hide rests in the presently active layer without using "show active layers only". Of course, in a complex passage it'll clearly reveal the layer you're working on.

Pete Sawchuk
PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz w/ 23" Apple Cinema Display
Finale 2003a in Mac OS 9.2.2
Otherwise, Mac OSX 10.3.1

Post Edited (Pete Sawchuk) : 12/4/2003 7:42:34 AM GMT

Ed Thomas
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ed ThomasAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 14

Posted 12/7/2003 11:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In speedy entry it's easy to hid a note or a rest, just put the cursor on the note or rest and hit the letter O.