Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > how do you make libraries  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

korneel.bernolet
out of inspiration

Click to send korneel.bernolet email.Click to visit korneel.bernolet's website.Send a Private Message to korneel.bernoletAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 735

Posted 12/30/2003 3:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hello

1) i've got a question: how do you make libraries ?
i want to make my own accidentals (eg. a fermate but with brackets like this, but flipped "[" ==> i don't know how to explain it).

2) i want to indicate that the musicians shouldn't play "rubato" anymore, but how do you say this (like "In Tempo" or something ?? i dunno), but the soloist must go on playing rubato... freaked ... any suggestions ?

grtz

Korneel Bernolet ([email protected])
- Finale 2003a ** Windows 2000 Prof. -

Post Edited (Avatarah) : 12/30/2003 9:00:37 PM GMT

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/30/2003 4:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Articulations usually consist of a single symbol - an accent, staccato dot, fermata, etc.
To have an articulation that consists of more than one symbol, such as your fermata in brackets, you must first design the symbol as a shape expression, using the expression tool. To then use it as an articulation, select "create" in the articulation designer box, set the new articulation as a "shape" and pick the symbol you've designed as your new articulation.

It's a bit of work but hopefully I've pointed you in the right direction.

N.

korneel.bernolet
out of inspiration

Click to send korneel.bernolet email.Click to visit korneel.bernolet's website.Send a Private Message to korneel.bernoletAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/30/2003 4:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
aah... and how do you do this all ??
i know nothing about "shape design" and other stuff like that...

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 12/30/2003 5:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
N. Grossingink said...
...To have an articulation that consists of more than one symbol, such as your fermata in brackets, you must first design the symbol as a shape expression, using the expression tool. To then use it as an articulation, select "create" in the articulation designer box, set the new articulation as a "shape" and pick the symbol you've designed as your new articulation....

This is strange. In my copy of Finale I can access the Shape Designer directly from the Articulation Tool - no need to go to the Expression Tool first:

1) Articulation Tool. Click an entry (note or rest). The Articulation Selection appears.

2) Click the button "Create...". The Articulation Designer appears.

3) In the pane Symbols, for the Main Symbol, click the radio button "Shape", and click the button "Main...". The Shape Selection appears. You can do the same for the Flipped Symbol.

4) Click the button "Create...", and you end up in the Shape Designer.

By The Way: You can get the square fermatas without using the Shape Designer, since they can be found at #195 and #196 in the font Opus Special. And no, the font Opus Special is not part of the Finale installation.

But you can get Opus Special for free by downloading and installing the Sibelius demo. Installing the Sibelius demo will also give you some other fonts (you might find some of these fonts useful because of their special font characters):

Opus is the Sibelius default music font. It's similar to Maestro.

Opus Chords can be useful for fast creation of chord symbols, since it contains, as single characters, "mi", "N.C.", "omit" and many others.

Opus Percussion contains many percussion symbols. Some of the characters are pictures of percussion instruments.

Opus Plain Chords is a variation of Opus Chords.

Opus Special has the square fermatas and a LOT of other special symbols

Opus Text is designed for using music symbols (rhythms, accidentals a.s.o.) in a word processor.

The Inkpen fonts are handwritten fonts, similar to Jazz. There are Inkpen, Inkpen Chords, Inkpen Special, Inkpen Text, plus some more variations of Inkpen.

Peter

annacrusis
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to annacrusisAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 412

Posted 12/30/2003 7:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
    >> 2) i want to indicate that the musicians shouldn't play "rubato" anymore, but how do you say this (like "In Tempo" or something ?

The usual indication is tempo giusto (just or precise time).

Anna

korneel.bernolet
out of inspiration

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/31/2003 5:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thx a lot, i'll install sibelius, but i don't think i'll use it, i love finale to much :-)
grtz