Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > GIGASTUDIO - DAYTON QUESTION 01  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

dogpaw
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dogpawAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 11

Posted 1/16/2004 11:53 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Colleagues...

Are any of you a Gigastudio user?  If so, please read on.

I will explain by way of an example.  I am using Gigastudio 2.5, Finale 2002, and Westgate Woodwinds Samples.

I drag and drop the Westgate Flute ST to the first channel of Gigastudio.  I then go into Finale and setup the flute for the first channel.  I then choose Oboe ST and, likewise, go into Finale and setup the oboe on the second channel.

I play the Finale and it works beautifully, playing both the flute and the oboe.

But...if I try the same setup with the Flute, BUT if I add Oboe SUS NV instead of Oboe ST, something very odd happens.  I start the playing of Finale as usual.  But, when I go back to Gigastudio, I find that Oboe SUS NV has populated ALL of the channels and the Flute ST is gone and, of course, does not play.

If there is anyone experiencing the same problem, I would appreciate any input and direction.

Thank you,

Bernard Super
Registered Member

Click to send Bernard Super email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bernard SuperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 5

Posted 1/29/2004 6:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have the same problem. Bernard Super

Craig William Dayton
Registered Member

Click to send Craig William Dayton email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Craig William DaytonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 34

Posted 1/29/2004 6:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bernard....

This was an old post, and I have since found the problem by trial and error. If you paw around in Finale enough, you will find that they number their MIDI instruments starting a 1. NOT zero.

If you load a sample into GigaStudio, some of the instruments start at zero...NOT 1. So, Finale says...."I have no idea what this is, and so I'm just going to splat everything over all the channels."

The bottom line is that you have to, in GigaStudio, look at the instrument (loaded instruments tab) that has the zero, right click it, click edit, when the editor displays the instrument, right click the instrument, click properities, and then you will notice a field called "patch". You will want to change that from zero to any number other than zero. BUT...look at the list of other instruments WHILE YOU ARE IN THE **EDITOR** and make sure you do not duplicate the numbers.

Good luck.

Hey Finale, if you are reading this, perhaps it is time to make the code change starting at zero. PLEASE!!!!

Craig Dayton

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe it can achieve." - Napoleon Hill

mrterrywilliams
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mrterrywilliamsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 68

Posted 1/30/2004 9:58 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to the instrument page in Finale and uncheck send patches before playing in the lower left corner.

Terry

Craig William Dayton
Registered Member

Click to send Craig William Dayton email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Craig William DaytonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 34

Posted 2/2/2004 4:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Terry...

You've mentioned the "send patches" check box in the past. I'd like to touch on that a little more. What exactly does that give us GigaStudio users? In otherwords, if we have it checked, what does it do for us? If we have it unchecked, what does it do for us? I know that if I want to record within GigaStudio and launch the recording via the Finale playback, that I have to 1) have the older fidmidi.dll file in place and 2) I have to have "MIDI Sync" chosen within the the Finale MIDI Menu. If I uncheck "send patches," would that affect recording sync-up? Again, I am trying to figure out what if anything leaving the "send patches" check box unchecked does for us, if anything.

Thanks,

Craig Dayton

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe it can achieve." - Napoleon Hill

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 2/2/2004 9:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not sure what it does for Gigastudio, but let me tell you what difference it made for a hardware sound module.

If I have a string quartet, and have the first violin assigned to channel 1, second violin to channel 2, viola to channel 3 and cello to channel 4, and the first violin assigned to channel 5, et al. Then, if I have the "send patches) UNchecked, the sound module will playback whatever sounds I adjusted the sound module to. In this case, the hardware sound module may have been programed (from the menus on the sound module's screen) for playing back "concert strings" on channel 1, "lite strings" on channel 2, "small ensemble cellos" for channel 3,.... and I will get something entirely different than a string quartet. If I put on "send patches" then the sound module will assign solo violin to channel 1 automatically. (This would, of course, depend upon the hardware sound module recognizing the general midi instrument list.... if it didn't, one may still get different instruments than what one intended.).

I would think that in Gigastudio, one would UNcheck the "send patches" since you define your instruments in Gigastudio by loading samples.

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2004a
PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 RAM