Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > is there no way to set volume for each of the staves?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

AnotherHell
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit AnotherHell's website.Send a Private Message to AnotherHellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 7

Posted 1/31/2004 8:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I tried finding something on this in the docs but cant seem to find any info. I just want to be able to set the volume for each individual staff, as it is right now, some of my instruments are drowing out the other ones freaked

oh yah and anotherhing i cant figure out is how do i add a shape from one page to the next, say a cresendo, i want to start it on one page, and end it on the next

Post Edited (AnotherHell) : 2/1/2004 12:50:12 AM GMT

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/31/2004 8:59 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you are using expressions, they are designed to affect the volume. If the forte, for example, causes one staff to be louder than another, you may want to create a forte with a lower playback volume and only apply it to that staff. That is one way. Try that an if it doesn't work, we'll go to step 2.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004a, Win 2000 or XP

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/31/2004 9:01 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
About the shape, the easiest way is to do it in scroll view, then switch back to page view.

Zuill

Bill Wadlinger
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill WadlingerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 694

Posted 1/31/2004 9:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, Zuill, I was contemplating a similar question this afternoon... however, I was interested in playback for one staff only out of three in the system, and I didn't see a way to tell the other two staves to shut up. Seems that would be a logical and intuitively obvious thing to put in playback options.

Bill

Notation program: Finale 2K4a
Beer: Anchor Steam. When I'm in the mood for beer. Which isn't often.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/31/2004 9:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Meanwhile, there is a better way that I overlooked. Instead of creating a duplicate set of expressions, create a hidden expression for each staff with playback option of controller, volume. Adjust it (MIDI 0-127) to taste. That affects the entire staff (if you apply it at the first measure) throughout the piece. The volume controller then lowers all of the volumes for that staff proportionately. For now, that is the best solution short of a pop-up mixer, which I believe is probably the best suggestion I've heard, but doesn't exist in Finale.

Zuill

P.S.: I forgot to mention that you need to turn human playback off to get this result. Well, you can't have everything!

Post Edited (Zuill) : 2/1/2004 1:44:41 AM GMT

AnotherHell
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit AnotherHell's website.Send a Private Message to AnotherHellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 1/31/2004 10:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks for the info, and thats too bad that you cant adjust it with human playback on

I used to use Mozart the music processor, and like alot of the features i find them more simple to use in mozart for the same results, like this for example, in mozart you just pop up this window that has a volume control slider ofr each midi channel, i was hoping there was somehting like that in finale

oh well cant have everything :p

Roger Fox
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Roger FoxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 202

Posted 2/1/2004 12:49 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Wadlinger said...
Actually, Zuill, I was contemplating a similar question this afternoon... however, I was interested in playback for one staff only out of three in the system, and I didn't see a way to tell the other two staves to shut up. Seems that would be a logical and intuitively obvious thing to put in playback options.
Select Instrument List under Window menu. You can easily mute or solo individual staves or combination of staves for playback.

Roger

F2k3a/P4/2.4ghz/512mram/80ghd/Ancient Princeton Graphics monitor.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/1/2004 2:32 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is true to mute for playback. However, I believe in making a wav from the file, that setting is overridden. I know that is not the issue here, but there are those little oddities that make Finale a constant adventure.

Zuill

JohnnyCav
Registered Member

Click to send JohnnyCav email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JohnnyCavAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add JFCavallaro to Your Y! Friends List.MSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 129

Posted 2/1/2004 3:24 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another option is to use the MIDI tool to alter all the velocities on each staff to some% of usual. Byusing values >100% for louder and <100% for softer, you can adjust the balance till you like it.

F2002b on WinXP

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 2/1/2004 4:06 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Wadlinger said...
however, I was interested in playback for one staff only out of three in the system, and I didn't see a way to tell the other two staves to shut up. Seems that would be a logical and intuitively obvious thing to put in playback options.

For temporary playback of only one staff; hold down Shift + Space and click in the staff with the mouse.

Björn

2002b, MacOSX 10.3 sometimes Win98, TgTools 2.25, QuicKeys X2, 2.0.2

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 2/1/2004 9:28 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is it possible, for the original question, that AnotherHell just needs to make sure he/she is selecting "Apply to this staff only" when applying dynamics? Maybe I'm overlooking something here.
Just asking....

Ron
Finale 2004a, W98 SE

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/1/2004 10:19 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
He/she may still want all the staves to get louder and softer throughout the score, but just wants some staves to do it at a lower overall volume.

Zuill

AnotherHell
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 2/1/2004 8:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yah i relize how to use dynamics, but its just the last program i used i was able to use dynamics as well as set the over all volume

Bill Wadlinger
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill WadlingerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 694

Posted 2/1/2004 9:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Björn, that was a great idea. Thanks.

Bill

Notation program: Finale 2K4a
Gin: Tanqueray. Don't ever mix good gin with tonic.

DaleMc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DaleMcAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 4

Posted 2/8/2004 6:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
Meanwhile, there is a better way that I overlooked. Instead of creating a duplicate set of expressions, create a hidden expression for each staff with playback option of controller, volume. Adjust it (MIDI 0-127) to taste. That affects the entire staff (if you apply it at the first measure) throughout the piece. The volume controller then lowers all of the volumes for that staff proportionately. For now, that is the best solution short of a pop-up mixer, which I believe is probably the best suggestion I've heard, but doesn't exist in Finale.

Zuill

P.S.: I forgot to mention that you need to turn human playback off to get this result. Well, you can't have everything!
Zuill, I'd like to try your idea about using a hidden expression for each staff.  Can you point me in the right direction, please?

Mike Dallwitz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike DallwitzAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 60

Posted 2/9/2004 8:50 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
'Select Instrument List under Window menu. You can easily mute or solo individual staves or combination of staves for playback.'
'That is true to mute for playback. However, I believe in making a wav from the file, that setting is overridden.'
You can omit staves from MIDI output by setting the instruments to 'None' in the 'Instrument List' dialog. It would presumably work for WAV output too.

Mike Dallwitz

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 2/9/2004 9:59 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Forza has (for Windows only) a plug-in called "Easy Midi" that has a slider for each staff. Great feature.
Check the image.

www.jwmusic.nu/forza

Michel
Finale 2003a, MacOs 9.2.2

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
forzamidi.jpg
  23KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 198 time(s).

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 2/9/2004 10:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Dallwitz said...
You can omit staves from MIDI output by setting the instruments to 'None' in the 'Instrument List' dialog. It would presumably work for WAV output too.

Yes, because the program first creates a MIDI file which is then used as the basis for the .WAV file.  A staff with no instrument assignment will never get to the MIDI file.

(Currently using: Finale 2003a, Windows 98-2e, TGTools 2.25, and The Glenlivet when I can afford it.)

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/9/2004 3:25 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Creating staff volume controls:

1. In the expression tool click above the first note of the first measure of the chosen staff. (or wherever you want to apply the control)
2. Click create
3. Enter a name, say Flute Volume (choose the name of the instrument for each of the staves you want)
4. Highlight the text and inder font style choose hidden
5. Click the playback tab
6. In the first window choose controller
7. In the third window over choose volume (#7)
8. In the set to value window choose the amount you want (0-127). You'll have to experiment and change this until you find the optimal amount.
9. Click OK, then select. Choose note attached. Select to apply to current layer
10. Click OK

It should work. It may affect other staves of the same MIDI channel, so try to choose a different channel for each staff. If you have 2 flute staves, you can create a Flute 1 and Flute 2 in the instrument list, and still have each in the same channel, in order to get independent operation of the expressions for volume.

Hope this helps

Zuill

Talan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TalanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add TalanMusic to Your Y! Friends List.MSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 3

Posted 2/9/2004 6:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AnotherHell - If you already tried working with expressions and are still not satisfied, then try this:

Left click the mouse to the left of one of the staves in which you want to adjust the volume.
Then go to TOOLS - ADVANCED TOOLS - MIDI
Then go to MIDI TOOLS - (SET TO) or (PERCENT ALTER)

Remember: Max volume is 127 - we cannot exceed that
Minimum volume is "0"

I hope this helps.