Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > To 2004b update or not?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Al Newman
Registered Member

Click to send Al Newman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Al NewmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 84

Posted 3/7/2004 1:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So far, I have yet to hear anything positive about the 2004b update on this forum.  Has anyone had any good luck with it?  If so, did you run into any of the problems that others have had, and did you find solutions for them? 

Al Newman

Finale 2004a
Win 98SE

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 3/7/2004 10:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was one of the first to update and I have no reservations. There are some important fixes (all measure expressions attached to one measure now copy correctly when pasting, expression shapes save properly, and more). I didn't have the change in playback that some experienced, at least not yet. What irks me is what didn't get fixed. Why not just fix all the bugs at once. Why just do some and leave others still there.

Update is my recommendation. If every one does and reports the bugs, we can get past this stage of the post beta testing beta testing.

Zuil

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004a, Win 2000 or XP

ChordalChoirs
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ChordalChoirsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 1999
Total Posts : 467

Posted 3/7/2004 11:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So far so good. I did have a little glitch with playback. When I tried to back it up a bit, it gave me a hard time. Playback is not working quite as well as 2004a was. What did they fix in Playback? I do see a noticible difference as a box of somekind appears on your screen for a brief moment when you choose playback.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/8/2004 12:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In 2004a, instead of the box, there was the blue bar across the bottom as appears in saving a file. I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by backing up a bit. But if I start on a measure other than 1, it tends to only come out of the right speaker. This is not how it worked in 2004a. I believe they created a new bug. I guess now I have to come up with another new name for MakeMusic: MakeBugs. Oh Boy, can I keep coming up with new names?

Zuill

JUNE_PANIC
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JUNE_PANICAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 84

Posted 3/8/2004 12:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
In 2004a, instead of the box, there was the blue bar across the bottom as appears in saving a file. I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by backing up a bit. But if I start on a measure other than 1, it tends to only come out of the right speaker. This is not how it worked in 2004a. I believe they created a new bug. I guess now I have to come up with another new name for MakeMusic: MakeBugs. Oh Boy, can I keep coming up with new names?

Zuill
I defiantly have not run across that one.  How are you starting the playback?  I know that if you use the spacebar+click it will not apply Human Playback.  And if Human Playback is not applied and you have made some pan settings with Expressions or the MIDI tool, you could get it to play out of just one speaker. 

Greg

Peter Morris
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter MorrisAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2001
Total Posts : 157

Posted 3/8/2004 3:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have been one of the critics of 2004b. There are bugs, for sure - both old and new. However, my gripe was that the quality assurance process at MM is, at best, stretched and, at worst, non-functional. This means that MM are spending too much time fixing the 100+ bugs in 2004a, instead of adding new function for 2005. Nor have they (as far as I know) introduced the registration/deregistration wizard for moving a license to another machine, despite it being promised for 2004a.

The poor quality of code in 2004/2004a says a lot about the internal management of the Finale team and it makes me worry about the next major release, for which I guess they will be asking us to dip into our pockets again.

However, your question was should you upgrade? Well, if you have 2003/2003a, it depends on whether you need the soft synths (excellent), text handling improvements, collision improvements and so on. If you do, then buy 2004 and upgrade all the way to 2004b.

If you are on 2004. you will benefit from the upgrade to 2004b.

Am I saying MM should not have fixed the problems by releasing 2004b? No - they were right to do so. If they have mopped most of the problems up, well done to the maintenance team for that. My beef is very simple. What the hell were all those bugs doing in there in the first place?

2004b is worth installing but management processes should be put in place to make such a huge mop-up unncessary in the future. MM have wasted their time and our money.

Pete

Win XP, Finale 2004b (and wish I hadn't)

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 3/8/2004 5:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Playback blew up on me as soon as I made the switch. Turned out I need to set Finale to run in compatibility mode because I have the latest and greatest in processors (why I didn't need to do that when under 2004a has not been answered--it was the same processor).

Otherwise, things seem okay.

Ron
Finale 2004b, XP Pro // P4, 2.6 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, SB Audigy
Car: Prius
Beer: Anything but American
First Concert: June 6, 2004

Davidmorehead
Registered Member

Click to send Davidmorehead email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DavidmoreheadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 2203

Posted 3/8/2004 10:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What is compatibility mode? Why on Earth would we have to do something different just to run Finale 2004b?
I just installed 2004b and now playback has notes that hang during playback. This never happened with 2004a. Now I will have to uninstall Finale and install it again without the updates. This is getting ridiculous. I am always the first guy to buy updates but I always assumed they were to make the program better, not worse.

Dave Morehead

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 3/8/2004 10:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dave,

Go find the Finale.exe file. Should be under "Program Files/Finale 2004/". Right click on it. Select "Properties". Select the "Compatibility" tab. Click "Run this program in compatibility mode" and select an appropriate operating system from the drop down list. I chose "98/ME"--simply because I used to run Finale under 98 with no problems. Seems to work okay.

Doesn't make sense you would need to do this under 2004B and not 2004A. Maybe someone from Tech Support will explain this one.

Ron
Finale 2004b, XP Pro // P4, 2.6 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, SB Audigy
Car: Prius
Beer: Anything but American
First Concert: June 6, 2004

David Maddux
composer/arranger

Click to send David Maddux email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David MadduxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add madduxdavid to Your Y! Friends List.MSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 1999
Total Posts : 55

Posted 3/8/2004 11:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll admit it:  I installed 2004b and have had no problems whatsoever.  Works like a charm, and cleans up a lot of stuff.  I did it, and I'm glad.

self-avowed Simple Entry addict
2004a XP TGTools Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155 laptop
Bombay Sapphire martini, straight up, very dry, twist of lemon

Davidmorehead
Registered Member

Click to send Davidmorehead email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DavidmoreheadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 2203

Posted 3/8/2004 12:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to Ron for clearing up what compatibility mode is. I already reinstalled 2004 and had the same problem with stuck notes. Now I am back to 2003 just to get everything to work correctly. I will try your suggestion just to see if it works. I can always use 2003 if it doesn't work on my system.

Dave Morehead

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/8/2004 1:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I believe that is for XP only. No such thing in Windows 2000. I believe 2000 doesn't have the problems XP does anyway.

Zuill

washalee
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to washaleeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 75

Posted 3/8/2004 3:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Win 2000 does support the compatibility mode operation, just like XP. But.. from other postings, it seems that the 2004b playback problems have to do with hyper-threading in the latest/greatest Pentium IV chips. Others have reported fixing the problem by disabling hyper-threading at the BIOS level, at least when using the SoftSynth MIDI output device.

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 3/8/2004 5:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks like hyperthreading is a bane to musicians. I recall that Gigastudio does work with hyperthreading, and now it is evident that playback on Finale doesn't work. What will we do when there are no new computers with regular processors? (I guess one can always turn off hyperthreading?)

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2004a
PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 RAM

Benjamin Tubb
Registered Member

Click to send Benjamin Tubb email.Click to visit Benjamin Tubb's website.Send a Private Message to Benjamin TubbAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 903

Posted 3/8/2004 6:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I updated to 2K4b yesterday and have had three subsequent crashes with it relating to Human Playback, the Lyric Tool, and the Text Tool (each since reported to [email protected]). Except for the last, the first two crashes were unique to this version I believe, although, in the first case, the Error Signature (which was reproducable) may have been caused by use of TGTools Easy Tremolos plug-in. Otherwise, the numerous bug-fixes enumerated in the docs were quite significant :-) .
Benjamin Tubb

SRobb
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SRobbAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 8

Posted 3/9/2004 2:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the tip about the compatiblity mode.
The hyperthreading issue seems to be what was behind my computer composing on its own while in the middle of playback, running in win98 mode seems to work (keeping fingers crossed...) I had thought for months that it was a soundcard problem, turns out that it isn't.