Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Tambourine notation  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Peter Morris
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter MorrisAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2001
Total Posts : 157

Posted 3/9/2004 10:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greetings all.

I was at a concert on Sunday (Walton's Facade) when the percussionist was using a full assortment of tambourine techniques and I realised I didn't know how to annotate them.  So, here goes. How would you notate the following?

Slap with full hand on skin
Slap with full hand on rim
One/two finger taps at centre of skin
One/two finger taps at edge of skin
Finger/thumb rolls
Shakes
Tapping the jingles (this was done on a second tambouine on a rigid stand)
Using sticks on tambourine (again on the second tambourine)

Thanks!

Win XP, Finale 2004b (and wish I hadn't)

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 3/9/2004 11:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter,

I am not a percussionist, but I have asked my percussionist friends about tambourine effects before. They said that the normal playing procedure for the tambourine is to hold it parallel to the floor with one hand and use the other hand to tap the rhythm on its head. To get anything else, you should put instructions on the part, especially when writing for younger groups. Based on their advice, these are the solutions I have used and they seem to work OK.

Slap with full hand on ski - use a caret accent, sfz (or ff) and an expression that says "on head"
Slap with full hand on rim - use a caret accent, sfz (or ff) and an expression that says "on edge"
One/two finger taps at centre of skin - no accent, lower dynamic and an expression that says "on head"
One/two finger taps at edge of skin - no accent, lower dynamic and an expression that says "on edge"
Finger/thumb rolls - the key is the roll duration must be short, i.e. an 8th note at quarter note = 72 or so; use the roll marking with the expression "T.R."
Shakes - longer durations than the thumb rolls when marked with a roll articulation; note that if the shake (roll) comes at the end of rhythmic pattern, most percussionist will tap the head of the tambourine to start the roll (shake). If it just a long duration - whole note with no pattern leading into it, for example - the percussionist will not start the shake with a head tap.
Tapping the jingles (this was done on a second tambouine on a rigid stand) - haven't seen (or heard, that I am aware of) this one
Using sticks on tambourine (again on the second tambourine) - use an expression that says "sticks on head/edge"

Jim Coull

Peter Morris
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter MorrisAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2001
Total Posts : 157

Posted 3/9/2004 11:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks Jim.  As always, a full and authoritative reply.

Pete

Win XP, Finale 2004b (and wish I hadn't)