Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Legato playback  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Band guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Band guyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 6

Posted 3/30/2004 1:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am trying to figure out how to get a legato playback in Finale 2004b.  I have looked through the Installation and tutorials manual and have had no success yet.  I have under the expression tool, and have found no such setting.  Is it and expression that I would have to create using the expression tool and if so and suggestions on settings?

Thanks.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 3/30/2004 2:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It depends on several factors, including:

The instrument chosen
Method of playback

Human playback has some built in features to achieve what you want. Applying slurs to the phrases is picked up by human playback, for example. Various articulations applied will achieve legato (the tenuto, I believe). For piano, adding the Pedal marking as a smart shape is recognized by human playback.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004b, Win 2000 or XP

Band guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Band guyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 3/31/2004 11:52 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have experimented with the Human playback and it is a very cool feature that persueded me to upgrade to 2004. However it doesn't always want to play nice with my setup. I get a lot of odd dynamic ranges between parts. Of course that probably has something to do with every instrument going through the same channel. I was just hoping there would be a pre-determined legato setting. Maybe 2005?

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 3/31/2004 12:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Band guy said...
I I get a lot of odd dynamic ranges between parts. Of course that probably has something to do with every instrument going through the same channel. I was just hoping there would be a pre-determined legato setting. Maybe 2005?

Why don't you assign your instruments to different channels if you want different dynamics in each? Sorry, but this confuses me.

There are legato settings in Finale 2004, as Zuill pointed out. Generally speaking, slurs work very nicely. 

Ron
Finale 2004b, XP Pro // P4, 2.6 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, SB Audigy
Car: Prius
First commission: March, 2004; First Concert: June 6, 2004

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 3/31/2004 1:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron B. said...

There are legato settings in Finale 2004, as Zuill pointed out. Generally speaking, slurs work very nicely. 

To prove that I'm not a total curmudgeon, legato playback was one thing that I thought was handled quite nicely during my short sojourn with 2004.  It appeared to be doing it the same way I do it manually --- adjusting note attacks and cut-offs --- but doing it on a note by note basis which is really too time consuming to do manually.  It isn't a true legato, but it ain't bad.

(Currently using: Finale 2003a, Windows 98-2e, TGTools 2.25, and The Glenlivet when I can afford it.)

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Band guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 3/31/2004 11:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, I maybe a complete idiot, okay yes I know I am a complete idiot ;) Let me clarify on my midi set-up and maybe I have it things completely screwed up.

I have a midiman UNO USB midi interface connected to my Roland XP-60 Keyboard. Now I was thinking that the UNO was one channel, because everytime I put a different part on a different channel I don't get any sound from that channel. Well, I was just on M-Audio's website and they list it as a 16 channel midi interface. Obviously there is a lot that I need to learn about midi. Any suggestions on resources concerning midi?

Benjamin Tubb
Registered Member

Click to send Benjamin Tubb email.Click to visit Benjamin Tubb's website.Send a Private Message to Benjamin TubbAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 903

Posted 4/5/2004 1:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For effective multi-timbral, mult-channel operation, you must set your XP-60 to either Performance or GM Mode. If using Performance Mode, make sure you use a non-layered Performance Preset so that all of the synth's Parts and Channels can be used at one time. Beware of the use of the XP-60's Performance Channel setting (Off, or 1-16), as patch data sent on its assigned channel/part with change the current Performance Preset and NOT an instrument Patch (Program Change).

Benjamin Tubb, Finale Engraver
F2K4, WinXP Pro, Pentium IV @ 3.2 GHz with 1 GB RAM
Webmaster of Public Domain Music (www.pdmusic.org)
Editor and Compiler of
"Henry Clay Work: Complete Songs and Choruses"
(Kallisti Music Press, 2002)

Benjamin Tubb
Registered Member

Click to send Benjamin Tubb email.Click to visit Benjamin Tubb's website.Send a Private Message to Benjamin TubbAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 903

Posted 4/5/2004 1:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For effective multi-timbral, mult-channel operation, you must set your XP-60 to either Performance or GM Mode. If using Performance Mode, make sure you use a non-layered Performance Preset so that all of the synth's Parts and Channels can be used at one time. Beware of the use of the XP-60's Performance Channel setting (Off, or 1-16), as patch data sent on its assigned channel/part with change the current Performance Preset and NOT an instrument Patch (Program Change).

Benjamin Tubb, Finale Engraver
F2K4, WinXP Pro, Pentium IV @ 3.2 GHz with 1 GB RAM
Webmaster of Public Domain Music (www.pdmusic.org)
Editor and Compiler of
"Henry Clay Work: Complete Songs and Choruses"
(Kallisti Music Press, 2002)