Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Tool Bars not staying put  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Nikk
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NikkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 226

Posted 5/20/2004 10:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like my Playback Controls, Main Tool Palette, Help Tool, and Navigation Tools all lined up nice and neat in one row on the top of my screen...but everytime I close Finale and come back to a file, the tools have been stacked vertically.

Not only that, but when I try to move one onto the same line as another, the toolbars repel each other as if they were similar ends of a magnet.  What gives?

Am I the only freak that has this problem, or is this one of Finale's bugs?

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 5/21/2004 1:58 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To tell the truth, I'm not certain which of these locks in the tools, etc. but here are a couple of things to check.

Options > Program Options > Save > Check "Save Preferences when exiting ........."

Options > Program Options > View > Check the Save and Load Windows states options.

You will still have to reposition them from time to time, like after you have had some kind of Windows problem, etc.

As to the "magnet" problem, I've only run into that when I tried to overlap a palette on the same line. I've had no problem as long as I make sure they are side-by-side and not overlapping.

(Currently using: Finale 2003a, Windows 98-2e, TGTools 2.25, and The Glenlivet when I can afford it.)

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 5/21/2004 5:09 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you have save preferences when closing on and this is still happening, you may need to delete your Finale preferences file and make another one. (Finale will do that automatically when you re-start it.) Alternatively, check that you do not have 2 preferences files in different places on the machine.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 5/21/2004 8:57 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Something to keep in mind: when you minimize the Finale window, then restore it, all the tool bars are screwed up. This has been discussed before in these forums, so I assume it is a "feature."

Ron

Finale 2004b, XP Pro // P4, 2.6 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, SB Audigy
Composer of both sacred and secular music, and the intermingling of the two spheres.

"If you don't do it during this lifetime, then when are you going to do it?"

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 5/21/2004 9:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron B. said...
Something to keep in mind: when you minimize the Finale window, then restore it, all the tool bars are screwed up. This has been discussed before in these forums, so I assume it is a "feature."

It's true that it has that effect in some systems.  I don't know that anyone has isolated the set of circumstances that cause it to happen.  But I minimize and restore Finale many times a day, and that alone has never caused the tool bars to go wacko on me.

(Currently using: Finale 2003a, Windows 98-2e, TGTools 2.25, and The Glenlivet when I can afford it.)

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 5/21/2004 10:57 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The application that causes the toolbars to behave incorrectly when Finale goes from minimized state is a certain helper application in Microsoft Office. Don't remember the name of it, though.

The toolbar positions in recent versions of Finale for Windows are stored in the registry (different storage for each Finale version). I assume deleting the preference file (FINALE.INI) will not solve much in this case.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

Richard N.
Musician

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard N.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1424

Posted 5/21/2004 11:03 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari,

It's good to see you back on the forum :-)

Richard N.

Hardware = F2k4b ~ Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ Audigy Sound Card
Software = F2k4a ~ Garritan GPO ~ Cakewalk ~ Cubasis ~ WinXP Home SP1
Real Instruments = Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Soveriegn Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium
Leisure stuff = ST:TNG ~ Kronenbourg ~ Italian Red Wine ~ Curry

All posts spellchecked using a very unreliable beta version of GreyMatter® ver. 1.01

Bill Bentgen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Bill Bentgen's website.Send a Private Message to Bill BentgenClick to Add billbentgen to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add Germanbow to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Aug 1999
Total Posts : 175

Posted 5/21/2004 2:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I'm using Finale while working with Microsoft FrontPage to generate pdf files for my website, quite frequently minimizing and then maximizing Finale will cause all of the toolbars to end up on seperate lines. It's a pain.

petey forrest
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit petey forrest's website.Send a Private Message to petey forrestAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 670

Posted 5/23/2004 6:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi gang,

I've been plagued with this problem as well but it happens a lot less these days.  I do use Frontpage so I just tried to open the two (Frontpage & Finale 2004) and minimize them and switch like a madman, but the toolbars stayed put.

In the past, I found the erratic nomadic toolbar was more likely and re-producable when switching with Internet Explorer (hey, what version?).  I once saw it wander away in front of my eyes.  Still, there seems to be no re-producable event that sets it off every time.   What a drag! 

The best advice is to just use Finale and don't open other Office programs like Word, Frontpage, or even IE.

Peter

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 5/24/2004 8:53 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've had this happen when opening PowerDVD to watch a DVD or video file.

Ken

wpgsux
Registered Member

Click to send wpgsux email.Click to visit wpgsux's website.Send a Private Message to wpgsuxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 23

Posted 5/26/2004 7:25 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've had the same problem with the toolbars getting messed up.
If they can't fix the problem they need to add a menu item that will let you "Save Workspace" similar to Adobe Photoshop so when it happens you could just "Load Workspace".

Finale 2004b.r1 , Windows XP Home, P4 1.7, 500 MB RAM Laptop