Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Special time signature symbol.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

meph2k1
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to meph2k1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 44

Posted 5/26/2004 11:44 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would like to ask something about time signature.
In some case the symbol 4/4 is abbreviated by C. Anyway in some early musci like in Monteverdi, sometime the time 3/2 is denoted simply by 3.
There is a way to do it with Finale.
I mean.....there is a very bad solution that is to make some space and to put the 3 just with the articulation tool. I would like to ask if there is some way to make this simply with the time signature tool.
Thanks
Max

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 5/26/2004 12:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Set up the 3/2 time signature as usual. Go to Document Options>Time Signatures.

There are adjustments for the top and bottom numbers. Set the bottom number to minus 9 inches - it will appear below the page and will not print.
Adjust the top number as needed. Be aware that all time signatures will be reconfigured this way.

N.

meph2k1
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to meph2k1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001

Posted 5/26/2004 12:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you! This is not applicable because I need to use also the normal time signature symbol! It is strange that one cannot define other abbreviate symbol.

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 5/26/2004 1:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you need both the abbreviated symbols (for 4/4 and 2/2) as well as some normal time signature symbols (with both a numerator and a denominator), you have to go "the workaround way":

1. Hide the real time signature. There are 3 ways to do this, but the best solution in this case in the "Measure Attributes way".

2. Instead of entering the false time signature as an articulation, I suggest that you enter it as a note expression (include "Note Expressions") in the Music Spacing Options).
With the new Expression Tool in Finale 2004 you can set up a false time signature to, automatically position itself correctly (both vertically and horizontally) relative to the first note in the measure, regardless of that note's vertical position!

To find the settings for the expression, you will have to experiment by making it cover perfectly a real time signature. View at a high zoom percentage (e. g. 400 %) to get precise results.
It might be useful for you to know that the height of a staff is 24 points, and that the height of a scale step therefore is 3 points.

Peter

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 5/26/2004 1:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think it is strange. If you were to put every symbol ever used in music into the system it would be unmanagable. Since the earliest version of Finale, available characters and methods have increaed when there has been sufficient demand. I understand how you feel, especially when I have to set modern scores with notation invented by the composer. In these unusual situations (and I don't think you can deny that in the scheme of things they are unusual), we have to be inventive and do what we can. There is plenty that we can do, like, as you say, making a staff assigned expression. This is what I have to do with a time signature like X, or 5/3 with (3.2) above it. I have had scores where the tempo was used to determine tempo changes, so the lower number, rather than indicating the beat type, indicated the fraction of a basic whole note of the opening tempo, se we had time signatures like 5/6, 3.5/9 and so on. On other occasions I have had signatures with the note rather than a number under, eg 4/(quarternote).

having to place a few 3s centrally seems very little extra work in the light of these.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 1.2GHz Dual G4/OSX.3.3/20 inch Cinema display and 20 inch CRT
Finale 2004b
Yamaha P-150 Electric Piano
MIDIMAN 2x2 interface

meph2k1
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2001

Posted 5/26/2004 2:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, you are wright! It is easy to make what I have asked. The problem begins when you have to do hundreds of time! In early music, the tempo ghanges really frequently and making everytime the procedure is boring and time wasting. That's way I hasked if there was a quick solution.
Anyway Peter Thomsen gave me an idea. Maybe I don't use so often the cut time....so I can set the symbol 3 as the abbreviation for the cut time 2/2. :) Thanks

korneel.bernolet
out of inspiration

Click to send korneel.bernolet email.Click to visit korneel.bernolet's website.Send a Private Message to korneel.bernoletAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 735

Posted 5/27/2004 6:28 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you don't need the cut/common time symbol, I would do it like follows:

-Time Sign. Tool, use 3/2
-Click on Options/Advanced/More... or something like that (haven't got Finale on this pc...)
-Select: use other time sign. for display. Select common time
-Document Options (Ctrl-Alt-A), go to Time Sign.
-By the symbol of common time, select type 3

Is much faster for me (if you don't need the C symbol!)

Greetz,

Korneel Bernolet
15y || Finale 2004 - Roland XP-30 - Pentium III - Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional.