Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > I'm so disappointed with the upgrade.....  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
38 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 6/1/2004 5:20 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm. Housemoron is obviously flying under false colors here --- appears not to be a moron at all. I don't agree with everything you said, but well said none the less.

(Currently using: Finale 2003a, Windows 98-2e, TGTools 2.25, and The Glenlivet when I can afford it.)

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

housemoron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to housemoronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 224

Posted 6/1/2004 8:47 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. Actually I'm more of a half-wit. But I'm aspiring to be a complete idiot some day.

HM

not myself
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit not myself's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 131

Posted 6/2/2004 8:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Housemoron; you may be missing the overall point of this thread.

Much of this forum is spent "sharing tips" of how to do this, that, and the other thing.   Many, if not most, of these tips are for doing things that are common needs between many programs (not just finale).   Programs that obey conventions are used by happy people.   The remainder end up posting questions on silly internet forums.  lol

housemoron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to housemoronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 224

Posted 6/3/2004 12:59 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry. I was just trying to answer the individual points that were made. It sounded to me like some people were unaware of how to make use of the Selection tool to bring up contextual menus and of the potential to create customized shortcuts that might follow conventions they are used to in other programs (you can easily make the Spacebar begin playback with the TGTools plugin). To a certain extent, yes, we want Finale to follow Windows conventions. And in many respects I believe the program already does. We have context menus, Alt brings up the menus, Shift when selecting adds to the selection, etc. But I think it's valid to point out that some of the ways that Finale breaks from the conventions are actually improvements.

"Not Myself" spoke a little to the topic of modelessness, which is what prompted my diversion.

Besides, it's boring to always stick to the point. smilewinkgrin

R.F.S. III
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to R.F.S. IIIAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add demoblaster@yahoo.com to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add demoblaster140@msn.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/6/2004 2:51 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd just like to say that I hope that they never get rid of Simple Entry.
For one thing, not everybody is fortunate to have a nice midi keyboard that will work with Finale. Especially where high school & college students are concerned, where many of us use Finale at our school and use the either Finale Notepad or one of the Finale 2000 series programs to help compose music for our marching band organization, or for our own personal projects. A lot of the people that I know do not have the luxury of their own music keyboard and create their arrangments by hand using the Simple Entry tool. Part of Finale's sucess and versitility, I think, rest within the simple tool, cause it helps young people do what they want to get done without having to worry about having all of the extra equipment.

I for one would be really screwed without it, because I have a old Casio CTK-518, and the MIDI that's used on that keyboard is the older version of MIDI. The instruments are incompatible with the current MIDI's now and so can't work with Finale or any of my other music programs, (Cakewalk & Sound Forge,) so I can only use the Simple Entry tool for my arrangments. Without it, I doubt most educational facilities would consider the program as one of the best out there. Most of the school's that I've been in whether it was a high school or a college used one of the Finale 2000 Series in their band & orchestra rooms. Many of them would have msuci keyboards hooked up to the computer, but usually it's only the one inside the band director's office. Many band rooms have a 2nd or 3rd computer that both band & orchestra students use Finale on to make their own arrangments, whether they intend to ue them within the organization, or if they're composing for their own personal projects.

Anyways, my point is, Finale should keep the Simple Entry tool in it's prorgam and apply it in it's future programs. Remember, that just because that you don't use it and many of the people that you know don't use it, there are many people around the world that prefer simple entry over the other entry systems.

The Video Game Music Fan
Windows XP /w Finale 2004b

paulmpianist
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit paulmpianist's website.Send a Private Message to paulmpianistAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 43

Posted 6/7/2004 11:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK.. i guess the simple entry can stay... ... sorry for not thinking of peole that aren't hooked up for keyboard entry. I have always used that, but I can understand that there might be a lot of musicians that arent' even keyboard players.  I have a lot of piano students and more than a few have tried to divert their compulsory (parents make 'em learn something) music studies from keyboard to a one note instrument.   A little less stress on them to master their craft if they can hide in a section or something.
  well anybody that wants to master their instrument works at their craft a lot.

on a positive plug for the Upgrade though.... scanning into editable,and playing an acoustic instrument into  melody among others.

I just hope they get it so you can drag and have it auto-scroll to select a bigger section than the viewable area in the monitor.

http://paulmulcahy.com http://hometown.aol.com/paulm218/

John Birch
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John BirchAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 44

Posted 6/27/2004 6:30 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale is great but I agree with you.  What I find frustrating is that Finale hasn't found a way to shortcut many of the actions.  It is very verstile and comprehensive but for the normal, everyday use, if they can get you to do two actions to achieve something rather than one, then they seem to go for the two option!

music_2000
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to music_2000AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 38

Posted 6/27/2004 6:47 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sorry but I haven't been to this forum in ages and BTW I have found the program SIMLE 2 use

paulmpianist
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit paulmpianist's website.Send a Private Message to paulmpianistAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/27/2004 9:26 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
do they have autoscroll in the new version yet....so you can click and drag and the  window will scroll until you have selected the whole section you want to highlight?
  I still think that it is so basic that they ought to give it to us as a free upgrade.  I would say YAY!!!!!!  BRAVO!!!!!

not myself
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit not myself's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 7/27/2004 12:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
paulmpianist said...
do they have autoscroll in the new version yet....

In the new version, the user must select the GOTO tool. Then the user enters the measure, beat, and subbeat they wish to goto to. At that point, the user selects the confirmation tool, and the program asks, "Are you sure?". Then the user can select the "yes" tool, or "no" tool.

At any time, the user can select the "Abort goto tool" (which is different from the 'Abort measure insert tool", which is different from the "Abort entering Quarter note tool', which is different from...)

A short cut key is provided: CTRL-ALT-RIGHTSHIFT-G-O-T. Then enter the measure, beat, and subbeat. (much faster). Or you can key: CTRL-ALT-RIGHTSHIFT-G-O-T-1 and the program will only asks for the measure assuming you will want the first beat of that measure.

That's the rumor anyways

:*)

paulmpianist
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/29/2004 3:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One last serious disappointment.... where did the little mass mover train go.
I hate cute gimmicks, but I really liked that little train. I could always find it. choo choo stuff gettin done that woulda took me half the night.

you say that dotted line square does it.... !!! no sir not like the little train did it.

that little train processed my first piano concerto. chuga chuga ( yes i studied music composition with Carlo Rossi, and many of Milwaukee's Best) choo choo.

not myself
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 7/29/2004 3:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/29/2004 3:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You get the little choo choo train if you choose the old fashioned icons, not the new modern looking ones. I prefer the traditional (easier on the eyes) so I see the train every day. But thanks to not himself for the Thomas the Tank Engine picture (is that the Ringo Starr or George Carlin one?)

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004b, Win 2000 or XP