Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > synthesizers and finale  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Lorna
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LornaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 3

Posted 6/28/2004 7:17 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a beginnier with finale .  I am applying for a grant to purchase a synth - any advice regarding which one would be best?  If I get the grant, could pay up to $3,000, if not under $1,000.

mkelley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mkelleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 174

Posted 6/28/2004 9:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It depends -- if you are not locked into a hardware synth I would definitely recommend getting a softsynth like Garritan Personal Orchestra ($295). Then you could spend the extra money bumping your memory up (2gig would be ideal, but even 1gig could do quite a bit). Total cost should be well under $1000, and it works great with Finale.

I like softsynths a whole lot better than hardware, although there are those who disagree. But if you are going to be using the tool with Finale it's a no-brainer -- software is the only way to go (now if you plan on composing away from the computer, that's another matter).

www.composeforums.com
Composing, Arranging and Orchestration Forums

korneel.bernolet
out of inspiration

Click to send korneel.bernolet email.Click to visit korneel.bernolet's website.Send a Private Message to korneel.bernoletAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 735

Posted 6/28/2004 4:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't like softsynths, I prefer synthesizer because you can change the sounds just the way you like.
If I may give you an advice: if you only need to NOTATE music, I would purchase a midi-keyboard (normally even less than $200), but if you want to (notate and) PLAY BACK music, I would purchase a good synthesizer (my preference: the Roland JV)1080 series or the XP-30). These are not cheap, but are worth the money spent !!

Hope this helps !

Korneel Bernolet
Finale 2004 - Sibelius 2.11 - Lime 8.12 - Cubasis Notation - LilyPond
Roland XP-30 - Pentium III - Windows XP Professional.

music_2000
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to music_2000AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 38

Posted 6/28/2004 8:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I reccommend the brand MOOG. Why? becuase the guy who invented this basically INVENTED the synthesizer. some of the greatest pieces of electronic music were composed on one of these such as Kraftwerks hit AUTOBAHN and Hot Butter's POPCORN. or you could go with world leaders Yamahalol

housemoron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to housemoronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 224

Posted 6/28/2004 10:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The answer depends on the kind of sound you want. If you want electronic, synth sounds that you can modify, tweaking filters and LFO's, go with a synthesizer. If you are looking for orchestral instrument simulation, go with software-based sample players.

You could get GPO or EWQLSO Silver (or even Gold) along with a decent MIDI controller keyboard (studio logic has some). Check out www.northernsounds.com and do some research if you're interested in acoustic instrument (orchestral, etc) emulation.

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 6/29/2004 4:08 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll put my two cents in with the old Moron. If you want all the electronic sounding stuff, go with a hardware synth. If you want to fool Grandma into thinking you have your own orchestra, go with software and samples. ;o)

Hopefully, your grant proposal gives you that kind of flexibility.

(Currently using: Finale 2003a, Windows 98-2e, TGTools 2.25, and The Glenlivet when I can afford it.)

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Greator_SST
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Greator_SSTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 191

Posted 6/29/2004 9:17 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...the key question for you is, how good is your computer? ONLY go with a software synth if you have a high end computer with lots of RAM and processor power. On the other hand, if you simply get any external synthethizer, for example, a Roland 1080 (or whatever is their latest iteration), you don't have to worry at all about your computer because it's just sending a MIDI signal out.

But as other's have suggested, you also need to take into account what kind of sound you're looking for. The Roland has lots of great electronic sounds and drones, drum kits, plus traditional sounds like violin sections, bass, piano. But you can also buy hardware synths that focus exclusively on orchestral instruments, or dance and techno sounds and beats, or latin/carribean sounds, etc., etc.

But be aware, in reading this forum, most of the composers here on the Finale forums are not composing with an electronic sound in mind, they're composing for strictly traditional instruments (correct me if I'm wrong).

On the other hand, there's another HUGE community of composers who work strictly with sequencer programs (e.g., Sonar) and who are composing with hardware synths and samplers and including electronic sounds and ambient textures into their music. And it's this group that includes almost EVERYONE who makes a living scoring video/film or pop music.

http://www.composeforums.com/
...where composers learn and share

Bob Stiffler
Registered Member

Click to send Bob Stiffler email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob StifflerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 269

Posted 6/29/2004 1:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another thought: Be sure that whatever you get has a General Midi sound bank so you can download midi files from the net and play them easily. Also carefully consider if the synthesizer (hardware keyboard) will ever be used for live performances. I am a duffer piano player and I use my old Alesis QS-8 (88 note weighted keyboard) to play house parties and Broadway shows in the pit at our local community theater.

Bob Stiffler