Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Scrolling with SmartMusic Soft Synth! Is this possible?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ionian
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ionianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 441

Posted 7/11/2004 5:50 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, I understand that the Smartmusic Softsynth has to take a little time to buffer up its soundset for playback.  That don't really bother me, but is there a way to set a delay on the scrolling line so that it doesn't start scrolling until the SmartMusic has finished buffering/rendering its sounds? 

Believe it or not, Band in a box offers a similar feature for its display mode for people who use a soft synth so that the onscreen playback matches what you are hearing.

It's starting to drive me a little nuts, trying to follow the scrolling line but hearing the music a second or two late.  I feel like I have to watch two places at once! (it's hard not to follow the moving line.)  Plus, when the scrolling line reaches the end of a page, the page turns to the next, even though the Smartmusic sound synth is still playing music from the previous page (because it's a few seconds behind). 

If there's no way to delay the start of the scrolling line, then it sounds like it would be a nice addition to Finale 2004 rev. C....(If and when the next update is released...)

Thanks,
Ionian

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 7/11/2004 8:02 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is funny.

I don't have the problem with the scrolling line being out of sync with the playback.
My scrolling line follows the playback precisely.

And yet I don't follow the scrolling line during playback!

It was not until I began using Finale's playback that I realized that I'm actually always reading approximately one measure ahead.
Reading ahead is quite natural for a performer, especially when sightreading.

I guess that it will take me some time before I get used to NOT reading ahead during scrolling playback...

Peter

housemoron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to housemoronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 224

Posted 7/13/2004 12:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
While a small amount of delay is common with the softsynth, 1 to 2 seconds is not. Generally up to about 1/10th of a second is to be expected, although some computers won't have that much.

Windows might be running your sound card in a driver emulation mode. You may not have the sound card drivers that were written specifically for your OS (which I'm guessing is either XP or 2000). Go to the website of your sound card manufacturer and get the latest drivers. Install them, restart the computer, and see what happens.

If that doesn't help, let us know. Make sure to tell us what OS you're running and what kind of sound card you have. If you could also go to Start, Run, type in dxdiag, run it, click Save All Information, save the text file, and then post that here, it could be helpful.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 7/13/2004 6:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think it depends on the resources you have. With a fast processessor, a fast disk, and tons of memory I have no delay at all--at least none that I can discern--even with complicated scores.

Ron

Finale 2004b, XP Pro // P4, 2.6 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, SB Audigy
Amateur composer of both sacred and secular music.

"If you don't do it during this lifetime, then when are you going to do it?"