Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Midi Tool Split Widnow, Displays Wrong Staves  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

AlexPapa
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AlexPapaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 47

Posted 10/9/2004 3:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can not understand what is going wrong here guys.

I double click on a measure (for the piano instrument) to open the MIDI tool widnow....OK?

The window displays the Velocities of the wrong stave or instrument.
For the first page of the song it seems that I can not get it to work properly.
The problem starts as soon as a rest exist on the first measure I think....
Please check the file yourself....

Any ideas?

Thank you
Alex
-------

Post Edited (AlexPapa) : 10/9/2004 7:17:18 PM GMT

File Attachment :
test.MUS   122KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 264 time(s).

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 10/9/2004 4:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am unable to duplicate your problem.

The document seems to work OK for me:

I switch to MIDI Tool, and couble-click the Piano staff in measure 2.
And the upper part of the split-window displays the key velocities for the Piano staff in measure 2.

What happens if you click the arrow buttons in the split-window?

Do the arrow buttons allow you to navigate to the staff/measure you want to see?

Peter

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 10/9/2004 5:11 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try switching to scroll view and see if the correct staff appears for you then. (shortcut ctrl+e)

Windows XP, all updates

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 10/9/2004 5:59 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't open Alex's file, so am responding to what I presume is his problem.

I'm surprised, Tyler, that you aren't familiar with this behavior. When you use the MIDI Tool, Split Screen in scroll view for Edit Key Velocities or Edit Note Durations, Finale begins by looking at the top left-most measure that appears on the screen and then continues down the screen. If it finds no notes in any staff in the left-most measure it moves one measure to the right and looks from the top down. This continues until it encounters a measure with notes in it. It then reports that staff in the split screen. For example, say your screen is displaying five staves that are first through fifth trumpets and the fifth trumpet is the first staff to have any notes in it. The MIDI split screen will bypass the first four trumpets (top four staves) and report on the fifth. Furthermore, it will stay with that staff even when you advance to screen views with notes in all the trumpet parts. To have the split screen report on a part, that part (staff) must be the first one on the screen that contains left-most notes.

I'm sure your ex-cohorts at MakeMusic would not admit that this is a system design flaw. But I cannot think of a single circumstance where, when double clicking on 1st trumpet, I would prefer to see the settings for 5th trumpet.

(Currently using: Finale 2003a, Windows XP-Home, TGTools 2.25, and The Glenlivet when I can afford it.)

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Post Edited (Dick Brodfuehrer) : 10/9/2004 10:02:51 PM GMT

AlexPapa
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AlexPapaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 10/9/2004 6:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks all

Dear Tyler.

Yes, when I switch to the scroll view and I click to proceed to the 2nd measure, it works..

So Peter, I am speaking about using the function from the first measure and not in the Scroll View... It doesn't work...

Thanks Dick...At least there is a work around on this.

Alex
-------

petey forrest
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit petey forrest's website.Send a Private Message to petey forrestAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 670

Posted 10/9/2004 6:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

This MIDI split screen oddball behaviour has been driving me batty for years...  and I though it was only me! hehe

Petey

AlexPapa
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 10/9/2004 7:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
petey forrest said...

This MIDI split screen oddball behaviour has been driving me batty for years...  and I though it was only me! hehe

Petey

So many years....

Why don't they fix it then?

Alex

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 10/10/2004 7:50 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AlexPapa said...
...So Peter, I am speaking about using the function from the first measure and not in the Scroll View... It doesn't work...

This is strange. It is working for me:

MIDI Tool.

I double-click the Piano staff in measure 1.
And the split-window displays
Staff: Piano
Measure: 1

The upper part of the split-window displays no vertical lines, since the frame is empty.

I use the Mac version of Finale 2005. Could that make a difference?

Peter

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 10/10/2004 9:01 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dick Brodfuehrer said...
I'm surprised, Tyler, that you aren't familiar with this behavior.

Where did Tyler write that?

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 1 GB RAM

Forza! and Forza! Lite plug-in collections:
http://www.jwmusic.nu/forza/ (main site)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/forza-talk/ (discussions/announcements/beta versions)

The Finale Productivity Tips site:
http://www.finaletips.nu/

Dick Brodfuehrer

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/10/2004 9:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
Dick Brodfuehrer said...
I'm surprised, Tyler, that you aren't familiar with this behavior.

Where did Tyler write that?

When he said; "Try switching to scroll view and see if the correct staff appears for you then. (shortcut ctrl+e)"

As I said, I couldn't look at the specific file in question, but I work in scroll view and it does not select the correct staff for me.  My explanation of the behavior is simplified, so not 100% accurate, but is generally how it works.  It has worked the same way in every version since at least 2001 --- can't comment on versions before that. smile

(Currently using: Finale 2003a, Windows XP-Home, TGTools 2.25, and The Glenlivet when I can afford it.)

AlexPapa
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 10/11/2004 12:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dick what you mean it doesn´t work in the scroll view?

It seems that it works.

Do I miss something here?

Alex

Dick Brodfuehrer

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/11/2004 2:42 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm.  It seems we may not be talking about the same thing here.  So maybe I should fold my tent and silently steal away --- or whatever it was that fellow did in the dark of night.  :p

MKilpatrick
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MKilpatrickAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 85

Posted 10/11/2004 8:47 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll have to concur with Dick. The same behavior appears to exhibit itself in 2005. My solution has been to use SCROLL VIEW and pull down the MIDI window until only one staff is visible at the bottom of the screen, or scroll to the right until the leftmost measure of the desired staff contains notes.

Mike

Finale 2003, Windows ME