Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 2012 information  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
56 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 9/18/2011 1:01 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Garritan have been "tight lipped" as well about their new products... supposedly a choral library, and a new string library. They've had their customers waiting in darkness for years now, with not a peep from anyone official.

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2011b
currently installed: 2006c, 2007c, 2008a, 2009, 2010, 2011b
GPO 4, Garritan J&BB 3, CoMBand, Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello
Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Win XP

join us on
Compose Forums

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 9/18/2011 1:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jms3music said...
Fritz has a good point. I was thinking more along the lines of new technology behind the coding (which itself might then enable the support of new features and improved stability).

Well the exact quote was : "We are excited about the updated features and improved functionality that our annual product upgrades will offer to our target markets. Due to the extent of the updates to the technological infrastructure for Finale 2012, this year’s update will be released in the Fall, which is later than our typical release timeframe."

My initial thoughts about "updates to the technological infrastructure" was similar to yours as I have long suspected that they were being seriously held back by being tied to a cross-platform development system which was not being updated. I don't know what they use, but I'm assuming that, for instance, the number of years it took to get access to a basic modern windows feature like the mouse scroll wheel could only be the result of a development system problem, rather than their own programming. My wish list would be something along the lines of switching to a new development system and rearchitecting the whole program to get rid of those bits of ancient gnarly code that underlie everything but which no-one wants to touch for fear of breaking them (my interpretation of why old, old fundamental bugs never get fixed). However, all that gets you is a program which works and is maintainable, not sexy new features, so I'd actually have to say that I don't know what to expect.

Isn't it fun rumour-mongering in the total absence of facts ? devil

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010 Windows 7 Home Premium, Pentium i5 750 quad core + 4 GB; Cakewalk UA-101
2nd Tenor Cape Town Male Voice Choir, participating in the London Welsh Choir of the World 2012
Use the Finale Knowledgebase first ! :-)

Michael Ducharme
Registered Member

Click to send Michael Ducharme email.Click to visit Michael Ducharme's website.Send a Private Message to Michael DucharmeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 365

Posted 9/18/2011 1:56 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
Garritan have been "tight lipped" as well about their new products... supposedly a choral library, and a new string library. They've had their customers waiting in darkness for years now, with not a peep from anyone official.

From what I understand, everything was basically put on hold since Gary Garritan's wife was diagnosed with cancer.

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 9/19/2011 9:57 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...

That's problem - all too often, "tight lipped" means "delayed", rather than "ready to amaze".

Sorry to hear that in the case of Garritan, it's down to his wife's illness - I wish her in particular, and the Garritan family in general, the very best.

Brian

EpeeDad
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to EpeeDadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 143

Posted 9/19/2011 10:55 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A couple of comments:

Garritan is a very small company. It is smaller than MM by an order of magnitude. The serious illness of a key resource (and Mrs. G is just that) can devastate a company of that size.

They have produced an excellent product line at very attractive price points but have had difficulty over the years in product development in terms of timely delivery. This is a very common problem in small, innovative technical companies. In particular, the costs (in both time and money) of the pre-release testing phase of development always seems to be under-estimated.

I suspect that the main reason for Garritan's "tight lipped" policy (which predated Mrs. G's illness) had more to do with issues with competition than an excuse for delays.

On the topic of MM going under("Go back to quill pens" :) ), this could happen to any company if they don't remain profitable. I suspect that if they went chapter 7, someone would purchase their assets (Finale code base, for instance, not necessarily staff) at possibly fire-sale prices. Avid could easily do that just to remove the product as a competitor. On the other hand, Roland could also do it to enhance their product line. Look at the situation with Geniesoft/Overture over the years. I switched to Finale because they just weren't stable enough for me to invest my time using the product with the strong potential of needing to start over with another product and have my old stuff orphaned.

Regards,
Chris

Finale 2011
GPO
Sonar 8.5
Win7 - 64 bit
Intel dual core 2.7 ghz
4G ram
M-Audio 2496
M-Audio Axiom 61
Akai EWI USB

David Ball
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ball's website.Send a Private Message to David BallAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 217

Posted 9/19/2011 11:01 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm still using Finale 2008 (starting with 2.2 on 2 floppies I think)
It does almost everything I want it to I guess...
mind, I still use XP too!

Ha ha, maybe I'm just getting old :)