Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Movements and Staff Name  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Brian Baxter
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Brian Baxter's website.Send a Private Message to Brian BaxterAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 13

Posted 7/13/2005 5:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have two questions.

Is there any way to split a single document into multiple movements or must the movements be made as separate documents?

Is there any way to delete a staff name without having the name deleted in the rest of the score? I need the name erased in certain places however held intact in others and I want to do this without having to make a text expression with the staff name for ever single system.

Thanks,
Brian

David Wilding
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David WildingAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 45

Posted 7/13/2005 5:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whether or not you split your movements into two documents depends (at least partly) on if you need different document settings for the two movements. If all the settings are the same, you can certainly just space the systems in one document to contain both movements. Use the Measure Attribute "Begin a New Staff System" at the start of the second movement, and insert a page break in Page Layout if desired. However, it may be simpler in terms of spacing (with measures flowing between systems, etc.) as well as faster in the long run to use two separate documents. If they will share many of the same elements (page title fonts, measure expressions, etc.), set those up first and save a copy for the second movement.

As far as deleting a staff name selectively, I think you can delete the staff name individually if the systems are optimized.

Tracy

Finale 2003a, Mac OS 9
Finale 2004a, Mac OS X.2 

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 7/13/2005 6:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Brian Baxter said...
...Is there any way to delete a staff name without having the name deleted in the rest of the score? I need the name erased in certain places however held intact in others and I want to do this without having to make a text expression with the staff name for ever single system...

You can change/hide the staff name with a staff style.

There are two staff names, called "Staff Name" and "Abbreviated Name".
"Staff Name" is used by Finale in the first system of the document.
"Abbreviated Name" is used in all the other systems.

So my guess is that you need a staff style that changes the "Abbreviated Name" to nothing.

Peter

Victor Frost
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Victor FrostAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 379

Posted 7/13/2005 10:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's a good question. I used to like the idea of having full instrument names on the first page of each movement in a multi-movement work, but I've learned to live with abbreviated names after just the first one.

Staff Styles allows you to be selective about many items, including staff names. It's how I go back and forth between, say, piccolo and flute 3 on a single staff. And, as has been pointed out, one such name you can assign is none at all!