Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 2007 Crashes when playback or MIDI used!!!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

hotjazztrumpet
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to hotjazztrumpetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 5

Posted 3/29/2007 12:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey guys I'm running Finale 2007 on my new 17'' 2.0GHZ Intel Duo 2 core iMac and it was running fine for several weeks, when out of the blue today, it decided to crash everyime I started playback or use the MIDI tool. I have the basic playback enginge running, and I haven't changed any of my setup. This computer has 1GB or ram, and all my other apps run fast, it's just Finale that crashes. Any ideas?

guitarsean
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit guitarsean's website.Send a Private Message to guitarseanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 142

Posted 4/3/2007 10:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I recently had a similar problem after migrating to a new macbook pro. The crash reporter showed a problem related to quicktime. Even if you don't use quicktime it seems Finale will look for certain files. My new computer came with OS 10.4.8. I ran the latest updates including 10.4.9 and Quicktime 7.1.5. This has fixed the problem so far (about 10 hours of work since updating).

Sean Gill

Fin 2006c and 2007c
MacBook Pro core duo 2.6 Ghz, 1 gig ram
OS 10.4.9
www.musick8.com
www.myspace.com/seangill
www.strange-land.net

milo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to miloAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/7/2007 7:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm having this same crash problem as well when trying to playback midi on a 17" PB G4. 1.33 ghz
I'm already on quicktime 7.1.5 but have not upgraded the mac os to 10.4.9.
Guess I'll have to try this.
This has started to happen since upgrading Finale to version 2007c
Any advise would be much appreciated..
thanks, Leon.

milo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to miloAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/7/2007 9:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is an update:

I've upgraded my Mac. OS to 10.4.9. And I see that the crashes occur while finale scans and prepares playback in documents created pre-Finale 2007c, and with any kind of human playback selected.
These files play normally when Human Playback is set to "None".

Files created with Finale ver. 2007c play back without crashing even with "Human Playback" selected.
Best,
Leon Milo..

bobwen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit bobwen's website.Send a Private Message to bobwenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 88

Posted 4/19/2007 12:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've upgraded to 2007c, and OS 10.4.9, and my
program still crashes while scanning with any form
of human playback enabled. I'm at a loss to figure
out what to do about it.
On Mac Tower dual 2.3 gig G5, 2 G RAM
All programs updated to current.

Bob Wendel

2.3 MHZ dual G5 tower
2 gig RAM
OS 10.4.8
Midisport 8 X 8 USB
2 Proteus 2, 1 Proteus FX, 1 Roland S-330, 1 Yamaha TX-1P
MOTU Symphonic Instruments
HP Laserjet 1200 USB

milo
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/19/2007 5:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know why but this problem just went away after a day.

I really don't know why.But I think that it has something to do with the creation in the previous version. Is this happening with files created in 2007c?

Because maybe simply "save as..." will help for the older files in progress.

Best,
Leon.

Stephen Siegel
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Stephen SiegelAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 827

Posted 4/19/2007 8:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd suggest that anyone who owns a Mac obtain a copy of Alsoft's DiskWarrior disk utility application. In my experience, on many occasions, simply rebuilding the directory of the startup disk with DiskWarrior has fixed otherwise inexplicable problems. DiskWarrior seems to find and fix problems that no other utility detects. For example, Logic did not recognize the presence of a plugin. Neither repairing permissions or repairing the disk with Apple's Disk Utility fixed the problem, but immediately after rebuilding the startup disk directory with DiskWarrior, Logic recognized and validated the plugin.

Stephen Siegel
Dual 2.5 GHz G5 Powermac
7GB RAM
OS 10.4.8
MOTU MIDI Time Piece
MOTU 2408 mk.3 audio interface
Finale 2005b
Finale 2006 & 2007 (owned but rarely used due to reliability issues)
Logic 7.2.3
Digital Performer 4.6.1
Kurzweil K2600
Windows XP machine running Gigastudio

bobwen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit bobwen's website.Send a Private Message to bobwenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 88

Posted 4/20/2007 7:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tried the "save as" suggestion.
Didn't help. Maybe disk warrior next.

Thanx for the suggestions

Bob Wendel

2.3 MHZ dual G5 tower
2 gig RAM
OS 10.4.8
Midisport 8 X 8 USB
2 Proteus 2, 1 Proteus FX, 1 Roland S-330, 1 Yamaha TX-1P
MOTU Symphonic Instruments
HP Laserjet 1200 USB