Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > notes change into rests in speedy entry  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Spankypdx
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SpankypdxClick to Add ppetersen@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2002
Total Posts : 18

Posted 5/30/2008 8:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The weirdest thing started happening to me recently. When I enter notes using Speedy Entry, the note shows up on screen for a fraction of a second, then is replaced by a rest. I know the MIDI is working because it plays the appropriate sound when I press a key on the MIDI keyboard, but as soon as each note is entered into the score using speedy entry, it automatically changes to a rest shortly thereafter. This happens independent of hardware (I tried it using 2 different USB 10-key keypads and also 2 different MIDI keyboards, same result)

I should mention that this happens on scores where I've been working along happily, completely normal, then all of a sudden it starts doing this. Relaunching Finale doesn't have any effect.

Macbook 2Ghz black model
Leopard 10.5.2
Finale 2008b.r1
Targus USB 10-key (tested both wireless and wired models - same result)
MIDI:
Edirol UM-2 USB MIDI interface with Roland HP147 keyboard controller
OR:
M-Audio Oxygen-8 v.2 USB keyboard controller

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
Pete

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 5/31/2008 9:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It might not help, but you could try trashing your Finale prefs.

Obiwan Kenobi
Very happy Jedi

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Obiwan KenobiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 1043

Posted 6/1/2008 4:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Spankypdx said...
the note shows up on screen for a fraction of a second, then is replaced by a rest.[...] I know the MIDI is working because it plays the appropriate sound when I press a key on the MIDI keyboard, but as soon as each note is entered into the score using speedy entry, it automatically changes to a rest shortly thereafter.

Sound like a problem with a non-identification of your Midi Keyboard. Indeed, in Speedy entry, when you type a number (1-8) a rest appear instead of a note if Use Midi device for input is checked in the Speedy entry menu (see doc attached) but none Midi device plugged.
I suppose you press first the key of you Midi Keyboard, then while keeping this key down press the number key of your computer. If you do the inversus, what you describe is normal.

To go on the Wiggy's advice, if you procees exactly according to the manual way (Tutorials > Speedy Entry), I think you would have to trash your Midi preferences and configure it again.

Regards
Bruno
Paris-France

G4-1.8Ghz / 1.5Go RAM / OSX 10.4.11
MacBook 2.4Ghz / 4Go RAM / OSX 10.5.2
Finale 2000c - 2003a - 2005b - 2008a
Sibelius 4.1.5
Overture 3.6.1 - 4.10

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Image 1.png
  87KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 448 time(s).

Spankypdx
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SpankypdxClick to Add ppetersen@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2002
Total Posts : 18

Posted 6/1/2008 7:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the advice - I have had success with solving other problems in the past by trashing the Finale prefs. I'll try that.

(This problem is temporarily solved by rebooting the computer, after which everything works normally for a while before the problem starts happening again.)

I don't think it's a problem with non-identification of the MIDI equipment. I've had the same problem occur when using two completely different setups, either a Roland keyboard with Edirol midi interface, or an M-audio bus-powered USB keyboard; both have had the same problem, and both keyboards work completely normally in every other way - they will continue to play SoftSynth sounds correctly while working in Finale even though rests are showing up instead of notes in Speedy Entry - so I know Finale is definitely recognizing the MIDI equipment when this problem is happening.

For now I just have to reboot the computer whenever the problem happens; it's inconvenient but it allows me to keep working...

Obiwan Kenobi
Very happy Jedi

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Obiwan KenobiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 1043

Posted 6/2/2008 11:48 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Spankypdx said...
For now I just have to reboot the computer whenever the problem happens; it's inconvenient but it allows me to keep working...

this seems to confirm that the problem is HW and not SW.
rolleyes

G4-1.8Ghz / 1.5Go RAM / OSX 10.4.11
MacBook 2.4Ghz / 4Go RAM / OSX 10.5.2
Finale 2000c - 2003a - 2005b - 2008a
Sibelius 4.1.5
Overture 3.6.1 - 4.10

Jazzland
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JazzlandAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 9

Posted 8/26/2008 3:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

After working with Finale 2003 on Windows for a few years, I've recently bought a Macbook 4.1 and installed my version on it.

I have exactly the same problem: when I insert notes with Speedy Entry, I hear them played (the right pitch), and see them briefly on screen, but then they are immediately changed into rests. This occurs in both midi-mode and non-midi mode. I use a USB-connected numpad for the note durations (the note duration of the rest is always correct, the numpad works properly).

Someone thought this as caused by the midi setup; indeed, if you choose midi input without having a keyboard plugged in, you get a rest. BUT in this case, you don't hear the note played and you don't see the note appear for a split second.

So, my problem (and the other person's) seems to be different. It's as if the backspace key is automatically entered after the note, turning it into a rest.

What could be causing this: any solutions out there?
Jazzland needs you :-)