Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Quick question: How do I notate "vibrato"?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RobCS
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RobCSAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 45

Posted 9/21/2008 7:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm using PrintMusic and wondered if there's a symbol for vibrato (other than "vib.", or something like that.)

thanks.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/21/2008 7:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Would the trill or tremolo markings do?

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2008 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

RobCS
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RobCSAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2008

Posted 9/21/2008 8:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess I should have said "tremolo". My understanding was that a trill denoted a change in pitch, a half or whole step. I'm referring to the wavering sound that a sax player uses when there's a slight periodic change in volume, but not in pitch.

Post Edited (RobCS) : 9/21/2008 8:11:54 PM (GMT-5)

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Mortilla's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MortillaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 2378

Posted 9/21/2008 8:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RobCS said...
I guess I should have said "tremolo". My understanding was that a trill denoted a change in pitch, a half or whole step. I'm referring to the wavering sound that a sax player uses when there's a slight periodic change in volume, but not in pitch.

Mike's comment is right on, IMO. I would use a trill or roll marking that is perfectly horizontal (sans the "tr" of course). Maybe some wind or brass players might jump in with other suggestions. I would also add a note in the score indicating that you mean vibrato, not a trill or tremolo.

Mike Mortilla

http://www.MIDILifeCrisis.com

G5 Dual 2.0; OSX 10.5.4, 4 GB RAM; Finale 09; Digital performer 6.1

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 9/21/2008 9:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I'm a sax player, and I don't know what you are referring to. Vib and no vib I do understand.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/21/2008 10:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RobCS,
Have you seen a marking indicating vib in other scores?

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2008 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Erling Kroner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Erling Kroner's website.Send a Private Message to Erling KronerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add erling@kroner-music.dk to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 408

Posted 9/22/2008 3:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vib and no vib have been standards for eons.

erling
Quicksilver G4, 867 Mhz, 1,25 GB SDRAM. 15" PowerBook G4, 1,5 Ghz, 1,5 GB Ram. 2009
always latest Mac OS version though haven't yet updated to Leopard

R B
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to R BAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 234

Posted 9/22/2008 5:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi

I'm a sax player too....

Sometimes yes, in score you would see no vibrato.

On the other hand you don't see often with vibrato.

If you find the right setting to hear it on Finale....You could write it so it is invisible to the print parts linking this effect to
a symbol that would be a space bar for instance using the articulation tool.

I would think that you could look to using some sound sampling that have the vibrato you are looking for as oppose to try to get it with a tremolo....

Good luck

R B
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to R BAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 234

Posted 9/22/2008 5:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
http://www.classicstoday.com/features/ClassicsToday-Vibrato-part1.pdf

Read this article...Here some of it :

There is no agreement, in considering the written statements of past ages, that the term
“vibrato” (or “tremolo” as it was sometimes called) meant the same thing at all times--or
even invariably referred to the actual technique under consideration here: the slight
variation in pitch produced by the rocking of the player’s left hand on the fingerboard
while stopping the string.

Until recently, the question of when to use vibrato was not an issue: everyone knew that
if a composer wrote “espressivo” over a string part he generally meant, among other
things, “use more vibrato than usual to highlight the musical line.”

diz
Registered Member

Click to send diz email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dizAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 626

Posted 9/23/2008 3:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As a string player (viola) there is a big difference between vibrato and tremolo. No symbol is needed unless you want to direct players not to use it in which case "no vib." works well.

RobCS
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2008

Posted 9/23/2008 6:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess that "vib" is the appropriate notation. I was just wondering if there was a quick articulation symbol, like the trill's "tr" symbol in the articulation button.