Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > cautionary key signature after (mid-measure) clef changes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

chimp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chimpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 5

Posted 2/27/2009 11:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can (how can) cautionary key signature after mid-measure clef changes be displayed in Finale?

After mid-measure clef changes, such as from Bass to C clef, the key signature will only be displayed the beginning of the following system. Is there a way to display the new key signature immediately after the new clef?

Many thanks!

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 2/27/2009 12:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I understand you correctly, the clef and the key are changing in the middle of a measure. If that is the case, you would need to create 2 shorter measures to look like one long measure (eg. 2 2/4 bars to look like 1 4/4 bar. That is the only way I know to change key in the middle of a measure.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

chimp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chimpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 2/27/2009 1:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks! in my case, only the clef is changing, but still I'd like, for editorial reason, to display a "cautionary" key signature. I think I have to make 2 smaller measures, or create extra space and display the key signatures as articulations or some other ways. If anyone knows of a quicker, please do let me know.

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 2/27/2009 1:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you just want to force key signature to be shown? Or do you want a cautionary signature that has naturals in it to cancel previous accidentals?

You force a signature with Measure Tool > Select measure > Key Signature > Always show.

Bill

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 2/27/2009 1:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Talking of cautionary accidentals, I've long been a fan of the eponymous plug-in - in fact, it is one of the few that I use with any regularity.

Unfortunately, today I found that it really can't cope with measures containing certain jazzy chords:

In this example, I have a repeated chord with F# as its lower note, but F as its highest - look what a mess the plug-in makes of it!

Brian
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
CAUTION.gif
  111KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 230 time(s).

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 2/27/2009 1:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Stevens said...
Do you just want to force key signature to be shown? Or do you want a cautionary signature that has naturals in it to cancel previous accidentals?

You force a signature with Measure Tool > Select measure > Key Signature > Always show.

Bill

But this will force the key at the beginning of the measure, wouldn't it?

For the OP request, I think the simplest solution is to place the accidentals right after the mid-measure clef change as text expressions. I wouldn't go to the trouble creating 2 measures, hiding barlines, changing measure numbering, etc...

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 2/27/2009 1:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
> But this will force the key at the beginning of the measure, wouldn't it?

Not if you did what Zuill suggested and break the measure in half. You would need to make sure the second half is not included in the measure numbering.

Bill

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/27/2009 1:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've never seen a cautionary key signature at a clef change. Wouldn't this make the music cluttered?

Zuill

BobRock
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BobRockAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 433

Posted 2/27/2009 3:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Saffron said...
Talking of cautionary accidentals, I've long been a fan of the eponymous plug-in - in fact, it is one of the few that I use with any regularity.

Unfortunately, today I found that it really can't cope with measures containing certain jazzy chords:

In this example, I have a repeated chord with F# as its lower note, but F as its highest - look what a mess the plug-in makes of it!

Brian

Brian, accidentals have only one way of notating so that no oboist bothers you wondering if he needs to play f natural because there is no natural in front of the note and percussionist plays f sharp on the marimba: accidental before every note (including naturals).

Bob

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 2/27/2009 3:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bob,

I'd know a lot of oboists, but not one that can accurately play a 4-note chord solo - at least, not on purpose ... lol

Brian

chimp
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 2/27/2009 4:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think I will place them as text expression. Forcing key signatures will force key signature to be shown on the other stave with no clef changes as well.

I'm working on preparing a modern edition from 18th-century manuscripts, and this fuzzy way of working is required for such an edition.

Many thanks!

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/27/2009 5:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I figured it had to be a necessary thing, but it just seemed that it would be unnecessary. I find the same thing when a score has a Bass Clef (in a Grands Staff), then immediately a Treble Clef at the beginning of a score. I know it is a historical practice, but Finale can't handle it, and the workaround is tricky.

I'm glad you have a method that works.

Zuill