Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Greek language lyrics  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

dgarner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit dgarner's website.Send a Private Message to dgarnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 17

Posted 6/19/2009 2:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Please advise: I am running 2009b on a Mac G5 OS Tiger. I am setting Greek texts in Greek. I can easily use the font "GreekFP" in MS Word, Entourage, Safari, etc., but this font does not work in the Finale lyrics tool at all, and neither do any of the other fonts that have Greek options, such as Times New Roman. The problem is not only the diacritical marks, but the letters themselves. It does not matter whether I use the Lyrics Edit tool, or the Type into Score tool

I have set the default font for lyrics to "GreekFP", and the "International" setting on the Mac to "Greek". But I have no way of showing the lyrics in Greek, even though I had no problem with Greek lyrics in Finale back in 1997. Those files' lyrics do not work in 2009b either.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 6/19/2009 2:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale does not support Unicode, so it only works with "single-byte" fonts, which use up to 255 characters. So Type 1 Postscript fonts will work fine, and TrueType variants. However, modern fonts, such as openType which support a large number of characters, will only have their first 255 chars supported.

So you need a font that is definitively Greek, and displays Greek characters even when Greek is not the current language.

You will also need to support a request to MM that Finale supports Unicode.

Finale 2009b, 2Ghz iMac, OS X 10.5.7, M-Audio Audiophile USB
M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 6/19/2009 4:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I'm working on Tavener, for example, I use GreekWindows font which I found free on the web about 10 years ago.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 2.66GHz Intel Quad, 4GB RAM /OSX.5.6 /30 inch cinema display+20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2008a 2009a/Logic Pro Studio/Komplete/GPO/Kore 2/Max.msp/Pluggo

dgarner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit dgarner's website.Send a Private Message to dgarnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 17

Posted 6/20/2009 1:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy and Peter,

Thank you a million. I will check out Greekwindows and any other non-Unicode font I can find. And I will indeed support Finale's inclusion of Unicode text!

--d

Obiwan Kenobi
Very happy Jedi

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Obiwan KenobiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 1043

Posted 6/20/2009 9:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
dgarner said...
Wiggy and Peter,

Thank you a million. I will check out Greekwindows and any other non-Unicode font I can find. And I will indeed support Finale's inclusion of Unicode text!

I have a Truetype font named Athenian ; it works perfectly in Finale either in Text or Lyrics under Tiger or Leopard.
I have already sent it to another user here few months ago. If you are interested, contact me by private mail, and I'll send it to you. ;-)

Bruno
Paris-France

G4-1.8Ghz / 1.5Go RAM / OSX 10.4.11
MacBook 2.4Ghz / 4Go RAM / OSX 10.5.6
Finale 2000c - 2003a - 2005b - 2008b
Sibelius 4.1.5
Overture 3.6.1 - 4.10