Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Type -39 error encountered  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Brad Pearson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Brad PearsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 221

Posted 8/18/2009 6:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This has happened to me twice now. When I try to open a file I was working on, I get a type -39 error message, which I understand is an end of file error.

I have been having issues lately with a hard drive connected through the express 34 card slot. The card bus seems to freeze, and I end up having to do a hard shutdown of the computer (holding the power key down until the computer shuts off).

What I suspect is happening is that my file, even though it appears to be written to the hard drive, still is residing in RAM so that if there is a hard shutdown key elements of the file are lost. This is just my speculation. I can't find out anything about this in this forum (at least not under the heading of type -39 error) or in the Apple forums.

So, my next work session will not include that external drive and a BIG prayer that I don't lose (again) hours of work.

For anyone there with deep Mac OS X mojo - is there a way to keep from doing the hard shutdown when I encounter this situation?

Thanks...

(I just noticed my signature information was out of date. I updated it in the control panel, but if it didn't "take", I'm now running finale 2009b on os 10.5.8)

Brad Pearson
THG Music
Spokane WA
Apple MacBook Pro, 15", 2.33 gHz, 3 gig RAM, OS 10.5.8, Finale 2009b, Kontakt 2 and 3, EWQLSO Silver and Gold XP, Garritan libraries

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 8/18/2009 7:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know much about Express Cards. What sort of device is the hard drive? It is flash memory, or an actual mechanical hard disk?

I would recommend that you just use a USB flash drive or pocket FireWire/USB hard drive.

You may want to look at the logs in the Console utility, which may provide some useful information that is relevant at the time of the freeze.

If the whole OS has frozen, and you can't switch to the Finder or other app, then your choices are either: wait; or hard reset. If you can switch to any other app, then you may be able to Force Quit things from the Apple menu.

The bigger picture is that it is probably a hardware problem: either the ExpressCard device, or the card bus itself. You could check System Profile, to see that everything is reported correctly. I don't know whether you can verify the drive using Disk Utility?

Finale 2009b, 2Ghz iMac, MacBook, OS X 10.5.8, M-Audio Audiophile USB
M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Brad Pearson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Brad PearsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 8/18/2009 8:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Wiggy. I have contacted the manufacturer of the express 34 card to which the external hard drive is connected. It's connected via eSATA, and the drive is a Western Digital 500 GIG HD.

Force Quit didn't seem to work. I'll have a look at the Console logs, thanks very much for that tip.

I'm going to risk a work session today, using a fresh new Finale file into which to re-enter all the material from the previously corrupted file, and NOT use the external drive. My suspicion is that the drive controller extension isn't playing nicely with the card slot, thus causing the issue.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Brad Pearson
THG Music
Spokane WA
Apple MacBook Pro, 15", 2.33 gHz, 3 gig RAM, OS 10.5.8, Finale 2009b, Kontakt 2 and 3, EWQLSO Silver and Gold XP, Garritan libraries

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 8/18/2009 8:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As I say, I've never used an Express 34.

So you have an external hard drive that requires an eSATA interface....? No FireWire....?
And the Express 34 is essentially an adaptor between the drive and the Mac?

Does this setup require any third party drivers? Are they up-to-date?

(They're selling SanDisk 4Gig flash memory sticks at my local supermarket for £8....! )

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 8/18/2009 9:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Brad,

An end of file error occurs when the computer does not properly save the file and omits the file header/footer codes. This usually occurs when something interrupts a save operation. And Wiggy is correct in that -39 errors are always considered hardware problems, not software problems. BTW, a file hit with the -39 error is rarely salvageable.

Good luck.

Jim Coull

Post Edited (Jim Coull) : 8/18/2009 9:30:53 AM (GMT-5)

Brad Pearson
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 8/18/2009 2:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the confirmation of how the end of file error happens, Jim. I thought that was what happened.

Here's where I'm still confused. I had written the Finale file, saved it (and the automatic backup) upon closing, and quit Finale - long before I tried to eject the external drive (which ultimately hung and caused the hard shutdown). I assumed (incorrectly, I suppose) that Finale had completed its write to disk procedure upon my quitting the program. Indeed, I examined the files on the desktop and they both were listed as 752k files. After the hard shutdown, though, they were both listed as 0k files. (that's *zero*k files, not *OK* files!). In addition to this, the PDF file that I extracted from the Finale file before quitting was fine after the hard shutdown, no type -39 error there, as was the audio file (.aif and subsequent .mp3).

I'm wondering (out loud) if Finale has a different write to file routine that is not complete until a safe shutdown? Or if some problem happens with the Finder the file is ultimately corrupted?

Thanks again for your helpful ideas, Jim. And I did discover, sadly, that the files are completely un-salvageable...

Brad Pearson
THG Music
Spokane WA

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 8/18/2009 3:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Brad,
If you have the PDF, try Recordares' PDF to Music. It reads a PDF created by music software, and saves it as XML, which you then bring back into Finale. The demo only does one page at a time, but you could try it and see if it will save anything. It's worked real well for me.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finale_tips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Brad Pearson
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 8/18/2009 3:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks so much for the suggestion, Mike. I really appreciate that.

Brad Pearson
THG Music
Spokane WA

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 8/18/2009 3:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're welcome. Let us know how you make out!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finale_tips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

CV186
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CV186AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 358

Posted 8/18/2009 10:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's worth mentioning that since I upgraded to Fin2010, the following Error Log is generated (in "Console") every time the program opens ANY Finale file. ie. there's nothing wrong with any of the files - Fin2010 just has a "reading problem".

Aug 19 13:16:12 MacBkPro [0x0-0x38038].com.makemusic.Finale[449]: sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
Aug 19 13:16:12 MacBkPro [0x0-0x38038].com.makemusic.Finale[449]: sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
Aug 19 13:16:12 MacBkPro [0x0-0x38038].com.makemusic.Finale[449]: sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
Aug 19 13:16:12 MacBkPro [0x0-0x38038].com.makemusic.Finale[449]: sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
(repeated about 12 times).

Then this one:
Aug 19 13:16:24 MacBkPro Finale 2010[449]: ATS: Invalid FontObjectID (88) - only low 16 bits are being passed in.

2.16GHz MacBookPro17, 2GB RAM, OSX10.5.8 | MOTU Traveler1
Finale 2010r4 | GPO4 | Kontakt 2

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 8/19/2009 1:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Those log messages have been generated by Finale (on my machine at any rate) since at least 2008. I did report them once, but was unable to persuade the staff member that the log messages should not be generated so often in a finished product. Finale also generates log messages relating to a QuickDraw error as well.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk