Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Dashed slur improvement  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

larsc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to larscAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 12

Posted 11/10/2011 7:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm looking to make dashed slurs in Finale. I have seen beautiful dashed slurs and ties from "Score" and from Sibelius, but I'm not finding a good, functional way to make these in Finale. I use them all the time, so trying to make a strechable shape expression isn't very realistic for me. I sure wish that MakeMusic would include this as an option in the smart shapes, but as of yet, they're leaving out this basic notational device. Does anyone know of a not-ridiculously-time-consuming way of recreating these in Finale? Or does anyone know of a third party plug-in which makes a good one? I'll attach a picture of the sort of idea I'm looking to recreate.

Lars

Finale 2011, iMac, Snow Leopard
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
dashed slurs screen shot.png
  14KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 594 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/10/2011 7:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It seems someone once had a workaround and posted it on the forum. It is something that is lacking in Finale.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012 Soon?

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 11/10/2011 8:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The workaround involved using multiple slurs, each one offset just a bit.

Please send it in as a feature request. The more people who ask, the better the chance that it may someday appear!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
Bass for What's Cookin' www.whatscookinvlq.com
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b, 2011b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Still happily on Windows XP, SP3

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

larsc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to larscAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 12

Posted 11/10/2011 8:06 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
where do I submit a feature request? I would GLADly do that..

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 11/10/2011 8:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Use the regular tech support system at www.finalemusic.com/Support/Default.aspx?p=1. Use the Contact Support link, and tag it as Technical Support. They don't have a Feature Request header. I guess they think that the program has everything it needs...

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
Bass for What's Cookin' www.whatscookinvlq.com
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b, 2011b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Still happily on Windows XP, SP3

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Wess
Registered Member

Click to send Wess email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WessAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 277

Posted 12/3/2011 9:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
It seems someone once had a workaround and posted it on the forum. It is something that is lacking in Finale.

Zuill

Yes,
I did, Zuill, but I can not find my posts using "search option" of the forum.
There was a large explanation "How to do" with screenshots (samples) on each step using Adobe Illustrator and also there was a tip how to draw flat slurs.
I guess this treat took place in forum before of after 23.april this year, because at that time I have a personal correspondence with our colleague from the forum Mr. Vaughan Schlepp form Amsterdam.
If he is reading now, probably he can help also finding the post and this will be useful for the needs of "larsc".

May be "larsc" is interesting of tricks like that:

PS
For engraving these samples (below) I have used only Finale as a notation software (+ Illustrator for the first one to manipulate the flatness. The long dashed slurs are imported EPS files).
All music fonts are custom (+ Maestro for clefs and dynamics in first one).

Finale 2.0 - 2011

Post Edited (Wess-Music) : 12/5/2011 2:50:43 AM (GMT-6)