Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 2012 and time machine not working?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Ed Cupman
Registered Member

Click to send Ed Cupman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ed CupmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 97

Posted 7/5/2012 7:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ever since I downloaded 2012 Time Machine in malfunctioning. Anyone else with this problem? What can I do?

Thanks

Ed

James L
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to James LAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 46

Posted 7/5/2012 8:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How exactly is your Time Machine malfunctioning?

I've just had a huge time machine drama and I didn't know what had caused it. Really, really long story.... Maybe it was Finale 2012 all along. Gah!! (I'm trying to not rant right now).

If Finale 2012 is causing the problem, then perhaps you could exclude it from your Time Machine backups. If you open your System Preferences > Time Machine > Options, you can select files or folders to exclude.

Maybe exclude:
1) Macintosh HD > Applications > Finale 2012
2) Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > MakeMusic > Finale 2012
3) Macintosh HD > Users > [your home folder] > Library > Application Support > MakeMusic > Finale 2012

That should exclude most of the Finale 2012 data from your backups. Worth a try, no?

Also, it can be worth trying to back up onto a different backup drive (if you have one available), just to check that it's not your drive that is failing.

Otherwise taking your computer into your nearest Apple store or Apple reseller might be good. I had a whole range of erase/install dramas along with my Time Machine dramas. I can detail all of that a bit more if you like... but it's not a pretty story.

James

Finale 2000, 2004-2012b
Dual 2.0GHz Power PC G5, 3.5GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, OS 10.6.8
Sibelius 5.0-7.0

Ed Cupman
Registered Member

Click to send Ed Cupman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ed CupmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 7/5/2012 9:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Time Machine malfunctions by not being able to do ANY backups. I thought it was a bad external hard drive and I bought a new one and when I trie to use it to back up my system it said (absolutely true) it would take 2,400 months to back up. Ultimately after hours with apple tech support they say it is some problem with Finale 2012.

CV186
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CV186AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 358

Posted 7/5/2012 10:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try removing this file: /Library/Spotlight/Finale.mdimporter

(refer to this thread: forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=352764)

2.4GHz MacBookPro7,1 | 4GB RAM | OSX10.7.4 | Finale 2012b | MOTU Traveler1 | GPO4 | GWI

James L
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to James LAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 7/5/2012 10:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ouch. 2400 months is a little bit long to wait!

I had a slightly different issue with slow backups. Time Machine would do a slow backup, then immediately try and back up another few kilobytes. And it would take about half an hour to run the backup, even when I hadn't changed any files.

I did numerous erase and installs at the Apple store. I fortunately had an existing backup that wasn't too old, so I was happy to wipe my system and have the OS reinstalled. But that didn't help.

In the end my problem was 'fixed' when I checked my MacBook in to the Apple store. They erased my drive, installed OS 10.6, backed up the system onto one of their backup drives. Then they erased my harddisk again, and then restored it from the backup they had made.

The theory was that I should then have been able to slowly add my files back to the system. This was to check if there were any corruptions in my data. I would, for example, copy my picture folder over and run a backup. If that worked then I knew the pictures weren't corrupt, and then I could copy over my music folder and try run a backup again. At one stage I was doing this process and I remember I reinstalled Finale 2012 and my backups started to misfire again. I think I'd copied over some other stuff at the same time, so it didn't click that perhaps it was Finale 2012 that was causing the issue. Plus, I was hunting for data corruptions in my files, not in the install files off the Finale DVD!!

I wiped my drive again but this time I did a full restore of my files from my old drive. But before I ran the first backup, I excluded everything from the backup list and then slowly removed items from the exclusion list. This way everything was on my harddrive, but I was just allowing more and more files to be backed up.

The backups ended up working when I did it this way. I'm sceptical as to how or why, but it's working now so I'm not going to complain.

It might be worth submitting a case report to Finale. I think I might do so.

I don't know if any of that is of use in your situation, but there might be something in there that's worth trying.

CV186 said...
Try removing this file: /Library/Spotlight/Finale.mdimporter

(refer to this thread: forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=352764)

Yes, spotlight does interfere with a number of things. When I was having my issues I ended up excluding everything from spotlight, but still had the same issues. Worth a try though.

Finale 2000, 2004-2012b
Sibelius 5.0-7.0

Ed Cupman
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 7/5/2012 10:57 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is all very interesting. Apple highest level of engineers has told me that it is a finale problem and that I probably need to exclude finale data folders from time machine backups and from spotlight.

This all started for me when I downloaded 2012. tomorrow I will phone Finale support and hopefully they will be able to direct me.

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 7/6/2012 2:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As has been pointed out, the original 2012 Spotlight mdimporter caused constant crashing of Spotlight, which is involved with Time Machine.

Removing the Finale.mdimporter from /Library/Spotlight should fix it. Simply "excluding things to do with Spotlight" won't. Alternatively, the B update also fixes the Spotlight crashing problem.

Excluding Finale data files (i.e. your work) from Time Machine is not really a viable solution, as you will need to backup all your finale files manually.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.4
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Ed Cupman
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 7/6/2012 12:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That did it !!

Thanks for all the help. I'm still angry at Finale for not letting us know that this is a potential problem.

Ed

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 7/6/2012 12:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ed,

Did you still have the problem after upgrading to 2012b?

Bill

Finale 2012a (all versions since 1.0)
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil with eraser
OS 10.7.3 Lion

James L
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 7/6/2012 7:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@Wiggy: Yes, fair point about the limitations of excluding data. I think I used that method when I was trying to figure out where the problem was occurring, as I had no idea where the problem files were.

@Ed: Great to hear that your system is working again.

James

Finale 2000, 2004-2012b
Sibelius 5.0-7.0

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 7/7/2012 3:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just for the sake of clarity:

1. Spotlight and Time Machine are completely intertwined, and TM can't work without Spotlight.
2. If the Finale.mdimporter is constantly crashing Spotlight, then this may have an effect on Time Machine's ability to back up.
3. Excluding Spotlight components from Time Machine will do nothing. Neither will excluding Finale app components, nor Finale documents.

4. The B update fixes the problem of the crashing Spotlight importer.

"This is me helping."

Bill Spencer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill SpencerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 342

Posted 7/8/2012 9:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting- I had an issue where Spotlight (mdWorker) kept crashing on my G4, and TM wouldn't work- now that I think about it, it was probably shortly after installing F 2012. My final fix was to exclude all drives (I have 6 volumes on my system), then delete the V100 files on each volume. Then, add each volume back (delete from the Privacy list) one at a time, and let it index completely. Repeat for each volume.

IIRC, this wasn't completely smooth, had to do some of the volumes more than once...

Complicated by the fact that this machine sometimes gets booted into 10.4.11 (which causes a re-index when booting back into 10.5) or 9.22.

All good now.... but my version is 2012a.r3 on both machines, and Help>Check for Finale Updates... says I have the latest version.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 4GB Ram OS 10.6.6
G4 Dual Mirror Door 1.25 GHz 2GB RAM OS 10.4
Finale 2012
MOTU DP 6
Kurzweil PC3
Mini Moog
Shiny Black Shoes
Tuxedo

Post Edited (Bill Spencer) : 7/8/2012 8:59:09 PM (GMT-5)

CV186
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CV186AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 358

Posted 7/8/2012 10:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To see if your problem is related to .mdimporter files, just open Console (inside /Applications/Utilities) select the system log, and search for ".mdimporter". If you see a whole bunch of repeated warning messages including "Finale.mdimporter", you've found the solution to your TM (and Spotlight) problems.

2.4GHz MacBookPro7,1 | 4GB RAM | OSX10.7.4 | Finale 2012b | MOTU Traveler1 | GPO4 | GWI

Bill Spencer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill SpencerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 342

Posted 7/8/2012 10:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's what I did.

Why doesn't 2102a know that there's an Update? (I'm installing it now)

Bill

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 4GB Ram OS 10.6.6
G4 Dual Mirror Door 1.25 GHz 2GB RAM OS 10.4
Finale 2012
MOTU DP 6
Kurzweil PC3
Mini Moog
Shiny Black Shoes
Tuxedo

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 7/9/2012 6:56 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Spencer said...
Interesting- I had an issue where Spotlight (mdWorker) kept crashing on my G4, and TM wouldn't work- now that I think about it, it was probably shortly after installing F 2012. My final fix was to exclude all drives (I have 6 volumes on my system), then delete the V100 files on each volume. Then, add each volume back (delete from the Privacy list) one at a time, and let it index completely. Repeat for each volume..

Firstly, excluding the drives and "recluding" them would re-index the drive and recreate the V100 files, so you didn't need to delete them.
Secondly, always look for the simpler, easier solution than the Nuke N Paveā„¢ method of deleting everything and starting again. That is rarely the best or even the necessary method.

A quick trip to the Console utility, as CV186 points out, would show you that mdworker was crashing, and that the Finale plug-in was the culprit.

"This is me helping."